Drive thru coffee!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to caketin For This Useful Post:

shani2  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caketin View Post
    Drive thru coffee!
    Yep I do that every time someone spills it on the hwy.

Good thing about life in the country. Leave your keys in the ignition. You never lose you keys.

Bad thing. - forgetting to take them out when you visit the city

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    Yep I do that every time someone spills it on the hwy.

Good thing about life in the country. Leave your keys in the ignition. You never lose you keys.

Bad thing. - forgetting to take them out when you visit the city

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art
    When we moved back to the 'city' , DP was so bad for that. He would always leave the keys in he ignition. I was actually thinking the other day how he hadn't done it in a few months and then the next day he got about 20 meters from the car, was about to lock it and realised the keys were in the ignition!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up in a very small town, 7 kids in my year group at primary and we were the biggest group. There were two sets of first cousins in that group who shared their surname too. My mum joined the cwa at 30, and she wasn't the youngest there. We lived on a property but in town there was a pub, a shop which was also a servo and the grain yards and eventually took over the post office, two churches, a primary school and a football ground along with maybe 20 houses and you knew who lived in every one.

My mum worked in the kitchen at the pub, and so we went almost every Saturday night with lots of other kids from town. When we got tired we would find a dark corner and curl up under some chairs and go to sleep.

When I went to high school I caught a mini bus to the big bus and the whole trip took almost an hour. The bus dropped off at 4 schools and mine was the furthest out so I was at school by 8.30 and didn't get on the bus until 3.50, and wasn't home until close to 5pm.

Everybody played sport for the local team. Netball or football in winter, tennis or cricket in summer.

I live in a large regional centre now but dh and I both dream of bigger spaces. We don't want to have paddocks but still dreaming of between 2-5 acres in the next few years. I'm also unsure about dd at such a large school as she will be here.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh I remembered a good one.

i work/volunteer at a food shop that's run cheaper non for profit etc.
    i work on Fridays a slow day, being 35 weeks pregnant all my regulars no me i know them' I had a lady bring me in some home made biscuits a few weeks ago. It's lovely to have that community feeling (use to live on the Gold Coast)

when it it floods neighbours you have never met lend you generators.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpmakes2 View Post

Everyone rides ride on lawn mowers around town! I remember the look on the face of our new school teacher when he was sitting at the local pub having a drink and with te space of half an hour saw 3 people riding ride ons...on the main road!!!
    There's a village nearby (well 30klm away) that Has playgroup every fortnight. And it's usual to see people riding around the street on quad bikes, dragging trees behind hilux's down the street to the tip. Actually playgroup is held at the sports club which is the only thing there except a pay phone, hall and rodeo/show ground.

Another thing, except the last couple of years since they amalgamated councils with much bigger towns, no such thing as recycling. Everything goes in one bin which then goes to the landfill tip - well in town anyway, we neither dump
    Rubbish in the gully or take a truck load to the landfill every month or so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Double post

Thanks
    Reviews
    We must be different, our Coles & woollies have really long opening hours- from 6am to 10pm I think and maybe to midnight some nights. The town's only 13,000 but the main industry in town (that basically keeps the town alive) involves shift work so I think that's why the opening hours are great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Our town has 400 people.

COuntry people actually actually listen to country music! You hear it in every house lol. I have no idea about country artists that all my friends get excited about!

Slowww service wherever you go.
    No one is in a hurry like they are in the city. Drives me a bit mad.

Fresh air

Gossip

Kids can play outside alot more.

No Sunday or Saturday afternoon trading.

Hard to access organic and fresh food

No restaurants, I miss food!

People look at you weird when you say you're a Vego.

Two hour round trip for groceries.

Old school, racist attitudes.

Travel for good schools and kids sporting comps is extensive.

Kids get away with less as teenagers because of the gossip and size of the town.

No traffic lights (or traffic.)

The absolute worst thing is the lack of decent medical and mental health care!!!! So scary.

I mainly miss the city.
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 12-11-2013 at 20:05.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The joys of country living - took me 45 minutes to post a letter today because the post lady was on for a chat.

We have a small town of 4 houses and a hall just up the road. Our mail gets delivered 3 days a week but our mailbox is 2 k away. The next real town is 10k and has a p-12 school, post office, fuel, pub (open 4 days), iga, chemist (open 2 days), newsagent, library (one afternoon) and a health centre.

Even though I work 3 days in the big town nearby I still head in to the little town on my days off. People are friendly and I can let the kids walk down the footpath and not hold hands to help them learn road skills. My 3 year old can go into the shop and buy a freddo (or get it given to him) by himself and if needs be if the kids are asleep I can leave them in the car because there is always someone who will listen out for them.

We also have an awesome show society - I'm aiming to knock a few oldies off their thrones and making a pretty good try so far. This year and last I notched up 8 places a year plus an entry to regional finals (it's Thursday so cross your fingers). The kids even won prizes for their badly bred chooks.

I would never move back to a large city, I enjoy it out here too much.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (12-11-2013)