+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Yeah, it was there last time I was there but it was over a year ago, could have closed down perhaps?
    Oh I don't remember it that's all. It might not have been there when I was there last that was a number of years ago now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I grew up in regional WA! Now live in Perth and it's about a 2 hour drive back to our town. Things my town had:

- school to year 10
    - pub
    - roadhouse
    - a shop which closed at 12noon on Sat then reopened on Monday morning
    - a butcher
    - hardware store
    - newsagent

That's about it!!

It's 45min drive to get to a Coles, woollies, target country or hospital!!

Loved it at the time but couldn't live there now. But in saying that shops have only in the last few years opened late nights and Sundays in Perth lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up in a country nsw town. Due to mining the population has boosted a lot to about 9000 for the town and surrounding shire now. I moved to canberra in my late teens and now live in suburban melbourne 19kms from the city. My husband grew up in canberra and is always shocked at the lack of services and entirely different culture when we go back to visit my home town.

Pros:
    It takes less 10 minutes to get anywhere in the town (including parking).
    Very family friendly, my mums friend made a baby blanket (huge one) for DS with his name embroider on it and hos birth details embroided on the back. I have never met the woman but mum is important to her so that meant her grandson was too.
    Because lots of things take longer to be outsourced no one expects anything done immediately giving a much more relaxed pace of life.
    The big w and target country there have way cheaper end of season sales. My mum and nan send kids clothes down every season as they get stuff for $2 or $3 an item.
    Always someone that will lend a hand.
    Cheap housing prices.
    You can leave work and be home 2 mins later.
    More hours in the day becsuse less time spent in transit.

Cons:
    Lack of medical services, no way would I like to be living there when we are needing monthly Pedeatrician appts for DS.
    Lack out restaurants
    They make **** coffee (yes I am a coffee snob)
    Lack of entertainment
    Everything shuts early and when we visited on 'show day' literally everything shut for the day except the pubs.
    Crap school ( but I understand this is specific to this town and not the same in all towns)
    So far behind in use of technology as an everyday tool. Frustrates me because its what I have become accustom too.
    Very backwards multiculturally. What a lit of people seem to think os being open minded is actually going out of thete way to point out a difference and that they are being open minded as oppose to just accepting a range of cultures and lifestyle as the norm. I.e ( such and such had a baby , the dad is black which is fine because im not racist, anyway the baby is doing well bla blah blah. Why the need to tell me the the colour of his skin? Added nothing to the conversation.)
    High unemployment rate and lack of job opportunity.
    Its very much an older persons town. People tend to move away to go to uni and experience other places then move back to raise a family once they have acquired work qualifications elsewhere.

Quirks that amuse me/dh/dd:
    People whinge about having to drive to the next town for things yet that still takes less time than it does for us to drive in city traffic to lots of things.
    Lunch is dinner and dinner is tea- this confuses DD 4yrs a lot and as such she thinks her nanny is a bit strange.
    Most men have ironic nicknames ('tiny' who is a heavy set truck driver' or 'butch' who is a weedy short man')
    People still use paper maps to drive places because ' you cant trust those expensive gps things').
    Lots of people don't have the internet
    People go to shops, places because its familar or run by someone they know even if they provide crap service/food etc.
    The country vs city stigma is actually strongest in the country and seem to think 'us city folk' are a lot more shallow,materialistic and rush rush rush than we actually are.
    Peole use terms like 'whatshisname' ' whoshisbob' ' thingamajig'. No I don't know, what his name?.
    Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We recently moved to the outskirts of the perth region. It's great, small town but only 30-45 mins from suburbia and real shops. We live 10+ minutes out of the town centre on acreage which is lovely as it feels so much further away. The actual town has iga, petrol station which does driveway service (so weird when the little old lady comes and pumps your fuel for you!), post office, muzz buzz, chemist and dr plus a couple of other little things plus a district high school which is actually pre primary to high?! (Lucky it's so big but it services a lot of surrounding towns)

Things I've noticed since moving:

You need to be prepared, I used to live a 5 min walk from the shop, I would frequently start making something then go get something I forgot halfway through. No such luck here. Luckily iga just extended there hours to 6pm weekdays and open till 3 on Sunday (never used to be open) but I don't want to drive 15 mins for butter then 15 mins home!

Bushfires are scary. Being our first season out here has made me paranoid. Especially as there was a big one out here last year on our street that they had no warning about, got out in under half an hour and couldn't come home for 3 days. Plus there's only one way in/out of our area, through national park!

People know everything! Still getting used to this and still a bit like the suburbs where you keep to yourself and don't talk/bother people. I go to play group with a woman 2 houses down, she can't believe we haven't met everyone yet, then tells me all about ALL of the people in the area, who does what, who to ring if we get a snake...

No power = no water/Internet/phone as we don't have 3G, and we need a booster to get mobile signal so no power and were stuffed, generator is on the list!

But I love that it's so quiet, we go to sleep to the sound of crickets, cows and sheep and the stars are so bright outside you'd think it was airplanes. On the school holidays you can hear the sound of all the kids chucked into the paddocks around the valley to go have fun! Haven't heard a single siren since moving here and we are just so much more relaxed!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meat is much cheaper (and better!) at the butchers in town then at Coles/wollies/ butchers in 'city' 100klm away.

Fuel is actually cheaper here then anywhere else in the towns/cities around.

City tv adds are so strange. I'm used to adds for sheep drench, chemical courses, chainsaw, rain water tanks, 4wd/utes etc!

Noone is considered a local until you've been here a couple of generations!

Everyone is related to everyone.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi, we lived in Charleville for 2 yrs 1986 1987, serviced a region of about 4000, but only 1000 lived in the town. Only the abc on the tv, no other channels. the local radio shut down about 9pm with the playing of the national anthem. The radio was the main source of information, from the price of sheep, to the meals on wheels meeting will be at Iris's place, no need for her address to be given. We did have a hospital, and the RFDS, a high school and two primary schools, too many pubs, one Iga, one BCC, a couple of clothes shops, a coles that became a target country, a post office, and most of the major banks. No traffic lights, one stop sign, if you saw another car, you probably knew who was in it. I would love to go back there, I bet it would be nearly a ghost town by now. Marie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I live in a small town of about 10,000 people and we only have 2 sets of traffic lights. Everywhere else is roundabouts and you can sit at them forever! It drives me mad.
    People drive insanely slowly.
    Everyone knows everyone and everything about you - or so they think :P
    Doctors are not east to get into and there is no bulk bill services.
    No shopping but stupid target country.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up in what would technically be a village with a population of 110 give or take. The Childcare centre I work in has more people in it daily then the entire town lol. We had a pub, a shop, 2 churches, the ag shop, a police station( that was most of the time in the bigger town next over) and a Tiny school(has about 8 kids)

Everyone rides ride on lawn mowers around town! I remember the look on the face of our new school teacher when he was sitting at the local pub having a drink and with te space of half an hour saw 3 people riding ride ons...on the main road!!!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    We recently moved to the outskirts of the perth region. It's great, small town but only 30-45 mins from suburbia and real shops. We live 10+ minutes out of the town centre on acreage which is lovely as it feels so much further away. The actual town has iga, petrol station which does driveway service (so weird when the little old lady comes and pumps your fuel for you!), post office, muzz buzz, chemist and dr plus a couple of other little things plus a district high school which is actually pre primary to high?! (Lucky it's so big but it services a lot of surrounding towns)

Things I've noticed since moving:

You need to be prepared, I used to live a 5 min walk from the shop, I would frequently start making something then go get something I forgot halfway through. No such luck here. Luckily iga just extended there hours to 6pm weekdays and open till 3 on Sunday (never used to be open) but I don't want to drive 15 mins for butter then 15 mins home!

Bushfires are scary. Being our first season out here has made me paranoid. Especially as there was a big one out here last year on our street that they had no warning about, got out in under half an hour and couldn't come home for 3 days. Plus there's only one way in/out of our area, through national park!

People know everything! Still getting used to this and still a bit like the suburbs where you keep to yourself and don't talk/bother people. I go to play group with a woman 2 houses down, she can't believe we haven't met everyone yet, then tells me all about ALL of the people in the area, who does what, who to ring if we get a snake...

No power = no water/Internet/phone as we don't have 3G, and we need a booster to get mobile signal so no power and were stuffed, generator is on the list!

But I love that it's so quiet, we go to sleep to the sound of crickets, cows and sheep and the stars are so bright outside you'd think it was airplanes. On the school holidays you can hear the sound of all the kids chucked into the paddocks around the valley to go have fun! Haven't heard a single siren since moving here and we are just so much more relaxed!!
    What is muzz buzz?

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    In one of the towns I lived in before moving to where I am now. We had a pub, a general store, a butcher, a sports club and a tiny post outlet.

I used to love buying meat at the butcher. It was a little more pricey but 90% of the time, he would cut up for you while you were there, it was the best meat I've ever eaten, all local and he would wrap the meat in paper parcels, tied with string, for you to take home. I loved my little parcels was so cool.

You could take your dog into the pub, or you'd see horses tied up out the front. Everyone waved hello, and everyone was mate.

It was really nice.

Another town I lived in only had about 12 people in it and no services. But was about 40 mins from the big town which had all the services you needed. You did have access to petrol and a pub/post outlet about 10km down the road but was out of the way of the big town.