+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moowisha View Post
    I drive 40mins to a target country and it is the smallest store I have ever been into! It has a couple of kids toys on top of the clothes racks, few pairs of shoes and fitting rooms with no mirrors inside right at the front window facing the Main Street of the town! If you are lucky to go shopping with someone you might know if its a yay or a nay otherwise you drive home and realise BIG NAY!

I love living in my small town! Only big enough for a woolies and that's about it for major stores. Oh it has a Gloria jeans too. No KFC or maccas just local takeaways. No traffic or traffic lights for about 2.5hrs.

Massive lake and loads of fresh air! And the produce markets are amazing!
    ohhhh to have a woolies.

We have an IGA that has a floor space not much bigger than my house including veranda.

They have some good sales from time to time. I bought some strawberries on sale a couple of years ago for the kids. Got them home to find 1/2 were moldy. I took them back to get a refund to be told, "Oh thats probably why they were on sale" ON SALE - THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE BIN.

sorry for shouting, wanted to do it in the shop but this is the only place I am game too lol

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kj2010 View Post
    Yes this!

- regional TV. This isn't as bad now with the digital channels though.
    yeah loving the tv here. good thing I have a booster - only lose signal when a truck goes by ... Oh I live on the highway, Newell Highway that is. Picture and sound usually come good after 10 to 15 seconds each time.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I grew up ten minutes from the closest town of only 500 people and and hour from a country "city" my primary school had only 5 other students in my year so classes were grouped by 3 or 4 year levels in one classroom.

-play on the roads (sun baking in the cooler weather on the warm roads)

-even in primary school I would stay out until 9pm or so playing with my sister and or friends and mum wouldn't be worried

-we only had a water tank so would need to be conservative with water because if we ran out that was it!

- only had dial up until a couple a years ago then got satellite internet.

-drove the car on the farm from about 12 years old

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Temet Nosce~ View Post
    We're moving to a small country town soon, population of about 3000. I'm loving reading this thread, both good and bad points, for me the pros outweigh the cons, such a better lifestyle for my children than where we currently are.
    Not making fun of you at all, but this makes me smile - the town I grew up in had a population of around 800. A town of 3000 would have been a large regional town to me, but it really depends where you come from good luck with your move!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to IvyRain For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try 26 houses, four streets, a pub, post office, corner store & servo. That my friends is a small town!! lol

After lots of travel & living in different size towns the worst and best thing about living in a small town is everyone knows everyone. Some times it's a good thing cause when things turn to c**p you have lot's of support, but then you can't have a poo without someone wanting to know the details!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to patsmum For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't get over country TV ads. We get ads for shops in Broken Hill and Mildura- both about 1000km away!

One parents room in town and it is pretty lousy (there is parents with prams parking though!) on the flip side I never have any issues getting a park near Coles.

Love country rental prices...and that there is never any traffic (just road trains to get stuck behind!)

Missing having a health food shop any closer than the state capital, 300km away.

Not a fan of target country either! Big w is 80km away

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyRain View Post
    Not making fun of you at all, but this makes me smile - the town I grew up in had a population of around 800. A town of 3000 would have been a large regional town to me, but it really depends where you come from good luck with your move!
    Haha thanks coming from a town with close to 100,000 people 3000 is tiny to me!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sairz For This Useful Post:

IvyRain  (12-11-2013)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Just thinking about my target country rant (and picking my jaw up off the floor after learning of target urban- those cheap ********- same store idea, different name!) we also have a big w here... But even it's not a proper big w... Have you ever looked on the fine print of big w catalogues and seen a clause about some specialties not available at the following stores, and then it lists 5 or so towns? Yep, we're one of those towns.
    Again, big enough for big w, but not big enough for proper big w. I don't want pseudo big w either!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    We have a population of about 13,500 - so no tumble weeds blowing through the main street - but still small enough to miss a few of the luxuries in bigger places.
    That's about the size of the closest bigger town to where I'm moving. Also still tiny to me lol

The difference up there on the roads is great, dp has bad road rage up here but when we go to the country he'll be driving along at about 40km through the Main Street like an old person .
    We went to the pub for a meal with his dad who grew up there and every second person in there turned and said "g'day *insert nickname*" haha. He can tell us all the gossip about everyone in town and whether someone is 'good news' or 'bad news'.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sairz For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohh and another thing I noticed when I took the kids to the park, no graffiti scrawled all over the place, not a single bit!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sairz For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (12-11-2013),sandy_1902  (12-11-2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast