+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

Talking It's a little bit different in the country

(Can you just imagine that said in a slow country drawl? )

A bit of Monday night fun.
    I've been thinking lately of all the different things that happen (or don't happen) in the country, simply because.. well, I can only assume.. that we don't live in the city. Here are some examples off the top of my head- feel free to add your own:

* No online grocery shopping here. Larger country towns do, but apparently anyone in a town with a population smaller than 20,000 just musn't want convenience.

* Foxtel is called Austar. Why? I'll never know. Why they feel the need to differentiate is beyond me.

* Waaaaaay back when McFlurry's were introducued at Maccas, it was for city stores only. Only because they were a great success were they introduced into 'country' areas (anywhere outside of your state's capital city).

* No gold class cinema. I previously lived in a country 'town' will a Village 4 cinema. No gold class... maybe it just wasn't a classy place

There are heaps more... but I won't bore you! I really don't know why there has to be such a line drawn between the two.. but since there is, add your bug-bears here (or maybe even the things you are glad of!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    One more that really bugs me. Smaller towns have Target Country. Big enough for a Target, but not big enough for regular Target. Drives. Me. Mad. Either we have a Target, or we don't. Don't give me pseudo Target.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (12-11-2013),Kellbell85  (11-11-2013),Laydeebugxxx  (11-11-2013),LoveLivesHere  (11-11-2013),Moowisha  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No bulk billing for dr and being new to the area I can't get in to a dr.

All I hear is sorry our books are closed😳 Where do I take my kids then?
    Oh and having receptionist at dr ask me what's wrong with whoever I need the appointment for!!!

Oh and people drive differently in the country lol, very relaxed lol

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ourbradybunch For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (11-11-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (11-11-2013)

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    (Going off where I grew up, and where my dad currently lives)

You had a cinema?? That's for the city folk, ya know! We had them every so often ******ed at the country club or for special occasions on a footy field. (We had to drive at least two hours to get to a cinema)

-you can always call a friend if you need potatoes/fruit/meat because they grow them/are a butcher/have a farm etc

-everyone plays sport. If you find out someone doesn't it's assumed something's physically wrong with them

-it has the best tasting water, ever.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrJones&Me For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I just drove a two hour round trip to go to a Target Country!

We live quite rurally and our closest town has a tiny supermarket, pharmacy, butcher, bank and post office. No cinema, gold class or otherwise! Sometimes they put a film (pronounced fillum) on at the town hall.

You can't get anything on the week end after 12pm on Saturday so you have to rely on neighbours.

Most people have chooks.

Everybody knows everybody which can be good and bad!.

Farm kids have to be on the school bus at the bloody crack of dawn!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (11-11-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by ourbradybunch View Post
    No bulk billing for dr and being new to the area I can't get in to a dr.

All I hear is sorry our books are closed😳 Where do I take my kids then?
    Oh and having receptionist at dr ask me what's wrong with whoever I need the appointment for!!!

Oh and people drive differently in the country lol, very relaxed lol
    Yes! So frustrating! When I first moved in with dp, I moved towns to a large regional centre (explains the cinema! ) and one day I got gastro REALLY bad. Couldn't get into a dr anywhere! "In sorry, we're not taking any new patients" does NOT help when I can't get off the toilet and need fixing ASAP!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I just drove a two hour round trip to go to a Target Country!

We live quite rurally and our closest town has a tiny supermarket, pharmacy, butcher, bank and post office. No cinema, gold class or otherwise! Sometimes they put a film (pronounced fillum) on at the town hall.

You can't get anything on the week end after 12pm on Saturday so you have to rely on neighbours.

Most people have chooks.

Everybody knows everybody which can be good and bad!.

Farm kids have to be on the school bus at the bloody crack of dawn!
    I literally laughed at fillum. Ahh, just like my nana. Except she would likely call it a talkie

A positive- great sponge cakes.

I grew up in a small town like you described kitty. Live in a town now that is much larger (but still not large enough for online grocery shopping dammit)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No online grocery shopping.
    Our "cinema" only occasionally plays movies and that's mostly once it's almost finished at the cinema and only has one or 2 showings at night - afternoon for kids movies.
    No decent restaurants. Only pubs here.
    Only one night of late night shopping.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to becca022 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    OOh yes, the baking is freaking awesome and so is the district shows - everyone brings their jams and sponge cakes and eggs and it's always a showdown between a couple of ladies for best in show!

I'm not up to entering a cake yet - it can't have any cooling rack marks or skewer marks!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Trading tables! I grew up in the country and you can count on there being a trading table for one of the community groups on nearly every week. Mmm... Looking forward to going home for Xmas and getting some locally baked goodies

18. The Following User Says Thank You to IvyRain For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (11-11-2013)