+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Come on with the drama..The chances of something deadly happening are much greater with a car. And if you are really worried about walking to the shops then I say the time has come to either order online groceries and/or reach out for professional help.
    I hold myself to a very high standard.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-11-2013),Mod-biscotti  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If the dad being distracted had resulted in someone else's kid dying rather than his own... (eg via a car accident) Would people be so quick to say it was a terrible accident and demand he be let off?

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's ok everyone is entitled to their opinion some will say negligence and some will say accident

I guess we have to be thankful that there are educated, well informed and researched ppl who together papers like 'fatal distractions' true experts who can draw influence in the courts and help set precedent in turn creating a law that is actually reflective of proper information not simply the judgement of others from their ivory towers

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-11-2013),Mathermy  (14-11-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (14-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (14-11-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (14-11-2013)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    In fact I believe they don't even say it was an accident since that implied to could be avoided? I haven't read the article since the last Bh thread that saw the same povs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I didn't leave the house because I was too tired to drive, I'd pretty much have been housebound for the best part of the last 3.5 years.

And I'm one of the lucky ones with a supportive partner and family within an hour's drive. I guess too bad if you're a single parent or in a bad relationship with no support network.

I drove off just a few weeks ago without doing up DS1s car seat buckle. Luckily he told me. A week later I went to the shops and spent a couple of hours there, got back to my car only to see that I'd left the back passenger door wide open.

I'm perpetually exhausted, a combination of an accumulation of sleep debt, particularly from DS2 who woke every 90 mins for the best part of a year and depression which results in me having poor sleep and insomnia. If I stayed at home all day I'd go nuts. Not to mention the impact that would have on my children.

Im hyper aware of locking my kids in the car accidentally and as a pp mentioned, I usually leave a door open while I'm loading the kids in. But staying home because I'm tired? Please, who's dramatizing now? It's just not feasible long term.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I forgot my newborn baby in the car VP. It was only for about 5 minutes because my DH asked me were he was. Lucky he was there, who knows what could have happened. I was very ill at the time, recovering from sepsis. But I know one thing I am not a negligent mother, I am a good mother who adores her kids.

You are so judgemental and it is quite amusing, you don't sound like a particularly amazing mother, just a mother like all the rest of us, doing her best. So really - I don't think you should be so quick to judge, it might come back around on you one day.

OTE]

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (14-11-2013),DaenerysT  (14-11-2013),FearlessLeader  (14-11-2013),HollyGolightly81  (14-11-2013),kw123  (14-11-2013),lilypily  (14-11-2013),Mathermy  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    It's ok everyone is entitled to their opinion some will say negligence and some will say accident

I guess we have to be thankful that there are educated, well informed and researched ppl who together papers like 'fatal distractions' true experts who can draw influence in the courts and help set precedent in turn creating a law that is actually reflective of proper information not simply the judgement of others from their ivory towers
    So... The judge presiding over the mans case wasn't educated or well informed yet the person who wrote the article was?

Our personal biases on both sides are clouding this issue. You can't on one hand say everyone is entitle to their opinion and then on the other hand imply that only those who agree with certain cherry picked articles have 'proper information'.

I'm sorry but you and others are just as biased and blind as me. The difference is we are sitting on different sides of the fence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Why is it, that when anyone ever disagrees with you for whatever reason you bring out the Ol "bleeding heart" line? This isn't about you being in the minority at all. It is about you not having empathy for others, it always has been about that. You are completely unwilling to see any other side of any story except the one you think is right.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You say ignorant.. (I suppose disagreeing with the bleeding heart majority does qualify me under BH standards... ) I say thinking long and hard about preventative measures is the opposite of burying my head in the sand.
    - online grocery deliveries... A walk to the shops with bubs in the stroller (an hour each way? Even better, exercise is great). Hubby picking up milk on the way home... There are alternatives.

I'm sorry but I don't think there is any excuse for driving when you are essentially drunk. Being a new parent is not a free pass for.... Negligence.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (14-11-2013),Mathermy  (14-11-2013),trustno1  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I forgot my newborn baby in the car VP. It was only for about 5 minutes because my DH asked me were he was. Lucky he was there, who knows what could have happened. I was very ill at the time, recovering from sepsis. But I know one thing I am not a negligent mother, I am a good mother who adores her kids.

You are so judgemental and it is quite amusing, you don't sound like a particularly amazing mother, just a mother like all the rest of us, doing her best. So really - I don't think you should be so quick to judge, it might come back around on you one day.

OTE]
    Not saying at all you aren't a good mother and don't adore your kids. A preventative measure in your case would have been you not looking after kids on your own if you were so ill. To be looking after a kid on your own when you are extremely ill is negligent (imo, othera can disagree). The fact that your hubby was there to pick up on things suggests that your kids had appropriate supervision at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually think it's probably more likely to happen to someone who thinks it could never happen to them, because they figured they don't have to worry about doing stupid things like that, they're better parents than 'those' people that do that kind of thing.

Anyone who read that article and got a reality check is probably a whole lot safer IMO.
    Knowing and accepting that accidents can and do happen to you is the best way to prevent them. Thinking it 'wouldn't happen to me' is complacency and exactly the reason these things *do* happen.

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (14-11-2013),beebs  (14-11-2013),Benji  (14-11-2013),delirium  (15-11-2013),Green Cheese  (14-11-2013),HollyGolightly81  (14-11-2013),lilypily  (14-11-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (14-11-2013)