+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Really?
    Yep. Is the concept so unfamiliar to you? You can't ever be wrong?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-11-2013)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Sorry if I seem grumpy. 3 month old is cutting molars and I'm not getting much sleep. I have to take my boys to kinder... sure hope I be sensible and keep my wits about me!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

amyd  (14-11-2013),beebs  (14-11-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (14-11-2013),Mathermy  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    Actually you making the statement "I hold myself to high standards and follow common sense practices in order to minimise risk. I don't do stupid things that up the chance if things going wrong" shows how ignorant you are being. It can happen at any time, in any situation.
    So if you have had a tough night where kids (assuming you have more than 1? If not then maybe it is a little harder for you to understand) have kept you awake. Do you then just sit on the couch for the rest if the day for fear if doing something unsafe? Can't go to lay group, or work, or to get milk. That would be unsafe.

My first were twins. Who didn't sleep. A good night was 4 hours. I had to operate on that. There isn't the luxury to say "sorry love, I know you work 12 hour days, but I didn't go to the shops today because I was holding myself up to high standards and practices. Don't want to do anything foolish, you know?"

I completely believe that in that circumstance, you can't empathise at all. And it's not because you believe something different to me; that's a cop out. It's because you refuse to see that accidents, tragic horrible accidents like this can be so easy, can happen.
    You say ignorant.. (I suppose disagreeing with the bleeding heart majority does qualify me under BH standards... ) I say thinking long and hard about preventative measures is the opposite of burying my head in the sand.
    - online grocery deliveries... A walk to the shops with bubs in the stroller (an hour each way? Even better, exercise is great). Hubby picking up milk on the way home... There are alternatives.

I'm sorry but I don't think there is any excuse for driving when you are essentially drunk. Being a new parent is not a free pass for.... Negligence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ok @VicPark here are the definitions. See the difference? It's not my opinion that you're wrong. It's fact. Accidents and negligence have very different meanings.

These parents don't fail to take proper care. That comes from a position of laziness, neglect, etc. It is just a horrible accident.

Accident - an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.

Negligence - failure to take proper care over something.
    "his injury was due to the negligence of his employers"
    synonyms: carelessness, lack of care, lack of proper care and attention, dereliction of duty, non-performance of duty, non-fulfilment of duty, remissness, neglectfulness, neglect, laxity, laxness, irresponsibility, inattention, inattentiveness, heedlessness, thoughtlessness, unmindfulness, forgetfulness; More

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    Sorry if I seem grumpy. 3 month old is cutting molars and I'm not getting much sleep. I have to take my boys to kinder... sure hope I be sensible and keep my wits about me!
    3 months? That's super early!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Ok @VicPark here are the definitions. See the difference? It's not my opinion that you're wrong. It's fact. Accidents and negligence have very different meanings.

These parents don't fail to take proper care. That comes from a position of laziness, neglect, etc. It is just a horrible accident.

Accident - an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.

Negligence - failure to take proper care over something.
    "his injury was due to the negligence of his employers"
    synonyms:carelessness, lack of care, lack of proper care and attention, dereliction of duty, non-performance of duty, non-fulfilment of duty, remissness, neglectfulness, neglect, laxity, laxness, irresponsibility, inattention, inattentiveness, heedlessness, thoughtlessness, unmindfulness, forgetfulness; More
    Failure to take proper care ... unexpectedly . hey... I say the fellow who spent to whole car ride to work/daycare on his mobile phone was failing to take proper care... The fact that his toddler died as a result was an absolute tragedy but it was reasonably forseeable that something could happen when he wasn't focused at all on his kid or driving.

I say parents who drive when they are so tired they have the same skill level as a drunk are failing to take proper care.

Of course not all scenarios are due to failing to take reasonable care however I think a chunk of the ones being discussed here are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Walking to the shops in a sleep deprived state?

What if I forgot to put the brake on the pram?

What if I absent mindedly stepped off the footpath into the path of a car?

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-11-2013),lilypily  (14-11-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (14-11-2013),Mopoke  (14-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Assuming he wasn't holding the phone and was using Bluetooth or something, talking on the phone is the same as having a conversation with someone in the car! Or is that negligence in your world too @VicPark?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Walking to the shops in a sleep deprived state?

What if I forgot to put the brake on the pram?

What if I absent mindedly stepped off the footpath into the path of a car?
    Come on with the drama..The chances of something deadly happening are much greater with a car. And if you are really worried about walking to the shops then I say the time has come to either order online groceries and/or reach out for professional help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Assuming he wasn't holding the phone and was using Bluetooth or something, talking on the phone is the same as having a conversation with someone in the car! Or is that negligence in your world too @VicPark?
    Regardless of whether or not he was using handsfree He was distracted. Doing business when he should have been concentrating on the road and his baby.

And when I am driving if I come to a difficult turn/busy section then I turn the radio down and tell passengers to zip it.

Common sense.
    Sorry but you will never convince me to believe that this wasn't a preventable situation.