+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bunkx View Post
    Seriously how can people be so stupid !!!

The first thing I do before I put the kids in the car is put down all the windows I have a fear of fainting or something happening so then they would be left in a hot car
    Same and open the passenger side doors kerbside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Geez that is harsh even for you. Did you read the article?

I envy you your black and white world VP, I really do.
    Yeah I read the article. And I do feel sorry for the parent, sounds like they were genuinely remorseful and loved their child. However I also think they were negligent: they were distracted (focusing on work and their phone) to the point that harm came to their child. That's negligence. It wasn't an accident... It was preventable, if the parent was just a little more focused on their child. I think a manslaughter charge was fitting. The judge has the power to use discretion when sentencing to take into account that the parent has already suffered.
    Last edited by VicPark; 14-11-2013 at 06:03.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Yeah I read the article. And I do feel sorry for the parent, sounds like they were genuinely remorseful and loved their child. However I also think they were negligent: they were distracted (focusing on work and their phone) to the point that harm came to their child. That's negligence. It wasn't an accident... It was preventable, if the parent was just a little more focused on their child.
    Have you ever been so tired you put the milk in the cupboard and the cereal in the fridge? Or maybe you poured you milk into the coffee tin instead of the mug...?

I believe your above comment shows ignorance and an unwillingness to understand, to empathise. It could so easily happen to you, to someone you know.. I pray that day doesn't come, because I would hate for you to read someone saying that they were just so distracted they forgot their own child.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-11-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (14-11-2013),MINIRoo  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @VicPark your personal definitions of negligence v accident are wrong. Plain and simple.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-11-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (14-11-2013)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    Have you ever been so tired you put the milk in the cupboard and the cereal in the fridge? Or maybe you poured you milk into the coffee tin instead of the mug...?

I believe your above comment shows ignorance and an unwillingness to understand, to empathise. It could so easily happen to you, to someone you know.. I pray that day doesn't come, because I would hate for you to read someone saying that they were just so distracted they forgot their own child.
    It is a recognised and studied occurance. I can't remember what it is called but it could happen to any one of us. Definitely an accident

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-11-2013)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post

Oh get of your high horse. Don't assume because I have a different viewpoint to you that I am ignorant and can't or don't empathise. I understand pressures that new parents are under.

And well yeah maybe it could happen to me.. But I hold myself to high standards and follow common sense practices in order to minimise the risk. I don't do stupid things that up the chance of things going wrong... Such as phone chat after phone chat when I am driving with my kid, like the dad in the story. If I am like a zombie I don't drive. There is no excuse for driving when you are so tired that you have the same senses as an intoxicated person. Don't get that milk and if the kids have to miss school for the day so be it. So yeah I do judge and call it negligence when other parents don't hold themselves to high enough standards and do silly things that put their kids at risk. Do I still feel sorry for them? Yes. Do I judge what I consider to be a genuine accident? No.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Prior to reading the article, my attitude was 'how could you forget your kids!'

After reading the article, I just don't know. I believe that these people are dealt a life sentence of guilt, that is far greater than any criminal sentence.

I really don't know how I feel about it. I personally can't imagine it happening to me, but neither did all of these people either.

It's a shocking accident that's for sure. But I don't know where I stand on whether it's criminal.

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    @VicPark your personal definitions of negligence v accident are wrong. Plain and simple.
    Really?

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Oh get of your high horse. Don't assume because I have a different viewpoint to you that I am ignorant and can't or don't empathise. I understand pressures that new parents are under.

And well yeah maybe it could happen to me.. But I hold myself to high standards and follow common sense practices in order to minimise the risk. I don't do stupid things that up the chance of things going wrong... Such as phone chat after phone chat when I am driving with my kid, like the dad in the story. If I am like a zombie I don't drive. There is no excuse for driving when you are so tired that you have the same senses as an intoxicated person. Don't get that milk and if the kids have to miss school for the day so be it. So yeah I do judge and call it negligence when other parents don't hold themselves to high enough standards and do silly things that put their kids at risk. Do I still feel sorry for them? Yes. Do I judge what I consider to be a genuine accident? No.
    Actually you making the statement "I hold myself to high standards and follow common sense practices in order to minimise risk. I don't do stupid things that up the chance if things going wrong" shows how ignorant you are being. It can happen at any time, in any situation.
    So if you have had a tough night where kids (assuming you have more than 1? If not then maybe it is a little harder for you to understand) have kept you awake. Do you then just sit on the couch for the rest if the day for fear if doing something unsafe? Can't go to lay group, or work, or to get milk. That would be unsafe.

My first were twins. Who didn't sleep. A good night was 4 hours. I had to operate on that. There isn't the luxury to say "sorry love, I know you work 12 hour days, but I didn't go to the shops today because I was holding myself up to high standards and practices. Don't want to do anything foolish, you know?"

I completely believe that in that circumstance, you can't empathise at all. And it's not because you believe something different to me; that's a cop out. It's because you refuse to see that accidents, tragic horrible accidents like this can be so easy, can happen.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (14-11-2013),beebs  (14-11-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (14-11-2013)