+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    There needs to be CO2 detectors in cars, so an automated system of cooling/hydration can be activated, or an alarm or something for older cars. And it should be compulsory.

Tragic accident or not, it must be punishable because there's no way of knowing it was truly an accident. There really isn't.
    I read the article. Most of the parents who do have these awful memory lapses do not get charged. They can never be punished any more than they already are. They do get tried or investigated though, and it is usually ruled to be a tragic accident. The article is definitely worth a read if you can get through it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    There is a big difference between leaving your child in a car with windows down in full view at a petrol station and leaving a child in a fully locked car with windows up while you're walking around the airport.

Let's see what you think is acceptable when you've got more than one kid. I've got 3, none are at school yet, they're much safer in my car at a petrol station.
    You & I can see the difference, but I think VP's point was that some people can't so if we stop considering it acceptable to leave children in the car while you quickly pay for petrol then maybe less people will think it's okay to leave them for longer periods like in the OP because the lines can be blurred.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    There is a big difference between leaving your child in a car with windows down in full view at a petrol station and leaving a child in a fully locked car with windows up while you're walking around the airport.

Let's see what you think is acceptable when you've got more than one kid. I've got 3, none are at school yet, they're much safer in my car at a petrol station.
    I agree its not quite as bad but its still unacceptable in my books. I wouldn't take my kids to fill up. Then again I have daycare options (as I work) and a hubby. Not everyone would have these support mechanisms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    You & I can see the difference, but I think VP's point was that some people can't so if we stop considering it acceptable to leave children in the car while you quickly pay for petrol then maybe less people will think it's okay to leave them for longer periods like in the OP because the lines can be blurred.
    This is what I meant..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There is a world of difference between forgetting your child in the car and purposely going off and doing something with your child in the car.

Usually people forget newborns in cars, because you can't see them, they might be asleep and you are dead on your feet from weariness, factor in PND and terrible accidents can happen.

But this mother had done it before and her child was older. If she did it on purpose then I have no sympathy for her and huge amounts for the kid. I just don't understand, how much more education can we possibly receive, we hear about these tragedies all the time. You'd have to be living under a rock not to know that is dangerous.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (13-11-2013),CleverClogs  (13-11-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I saw an interview on Oprah about a lady who left her baby in the car on accident, because the normal routine was that her husband took their bubs to daycare, same type of story, rear facing car, bubs fast asleep. She went into work and then after about 4 hours realised, she ran out to the car but it was too late and their baby had died.

Nobody with any amount empathy would ever think that this woman needed to be punished, it was a terrible accident and she has to live every single day with the nightmare knowledge that she accidentally killed her child. The story was horrendous. Same goes for that poor father in WA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I forgot DSS just a few weeks before the case of the Dad forgetting his son. I went to get DD from after school care. Chatted with the teachers ,with DD. A good 10 minutes at least. I only realised because when I went to sign her out I was able to hold the folder easily as I had two hands free. It was about 34 degrees outside. DH had been home all week and I hadn't needed to take him. I completely and utterly forgot. A heart stopping moment and something I will never ever forget. ( he was fine but very hot and sweaty).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Terrible accident or negligence? I'll agree with the word terrible, the rest is subjective.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Terrible accident or negligence? I'll agree with the word terrible, the rest is subjective.
    Geez that is harsh even for you. Did you read the article?

I envy you your black and white world VP, I really do.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-11-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (14-11-2013)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post

I envy you your black and white world VP, I really do.
    Really? Truly?