+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    After reading an excellently-written article someone linked to in a thread earlier this year, about children forgotten in cars (different to being left on purpose) I still have nightmares about what those children go through.

I feel sick for that poor child, however will reserve judgement of the mother until the full story is known.

Hope the child makes a full recovery
    Pretty sure I'm thinking of the same article. It's stayed with me. A hard thing to read.

I can't say we should reserve judgement. The article makes it pretty clear the mother left the child to go into the terminal, plus mentions it's (apparently) not the first time.

Either way though I hope there are no lasting effects for the poor child.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That poor child

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    http://www.pulitzer.org/works/2010-Feature-Writing

This is the article. It's graphic and confronting but also a very educational read.
    Oh goodness, I'm bawling my eyes out now.
    And I've texted DH to make sure he dropped DD off this morning.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (12-11-2013),risfaerie  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadHatter View Post
    I did the same thing when I read that article!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadHatter View Post
    Yep I cried too. Then went and hugged all my kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post
    How utterly heartbreaking!
    The latest developments in this case is that the father simply forgot to take his son to daycare, he was at work all day... Now this is what really gets me! Had he thought of his child through the day he surely would have 'clicked' and realised he didn't take his child to daycare. I think of my kids through the day every day. To momentarily forget is one thing but to forget altogether is another!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read the article above and it discusses that point Kimberleygal1....that in the mind of the parent, the action (dropping off at day care) has been completed, they don't revisit it again during the day because they think they have done it. I don't replay in my mind the morning drop off once I am at work, I check my phone periodically during the day for messages or phone calls, but aside from that, I assume I did the drop off. IYKWIM?

World of difference between actually forgetting your child and deliberately leaving them in a car, with the windows up, so you can do an errand. The second really is unforgivable, the first an awful awful tragedy.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (14-11-2013),atomicmama  (13-11-2013),beebs  (13-11-2013),dancingchipmunk  (12-11-2013),Purple Lily  (13-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    I read the article above and it discusses that point Kimberleygal1....that in the mind of the parent, the action (dropping off at day care) has been completed, they don't revisit it again during the day because they think they have done it. I don't replay in my mind the morning drop off once I am at work, I check my phone periodically during the day for messages or phone calls, but aside from that, I assume I did the drop off. IYKWIM?

World of difference between actually forgetting your child and deliberately leaving them in a car, with the windows up, so you can do an errand. The second really is unforgivable, the first an awful awful tragedy.
    Yep completely different! I can't even begin to imagine the sinking horrible feeling that poor man felt. Gives me chills. The other woman is just an idiot. Pure and simple!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gracie's Mum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There needs to be CO2 detectors in cars, so an automated system of cooling/hydration can be activated, or an alarm or something for older cars. And it should be compulsory.

Tragic accident or not, it must be punishable because there's no way of knowing it was truly an accident. There really isn't.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You just have to read the "I leave my child alone in the car while I pay for petrol, do XYZ etc and i'm not a bad mum" threads on BH.

Leaving a child alone in a car is socially acceptable.. At least for the majority on BH. It's not hard to imagine how a mum in wider society then thinks its ok to leave her kid in the car while she 'ducks off' for a quick errand. It's a slippery slope and I draw the line at leaving a small child alone in a car, full stop.
    There is a big difference between leaving your child in a car with windows down in full view at a petrol station and leaving a child in a fully locked car with windows up while you're walking around the airport.

Let's see what you think is acceptable when you've got more than one kid. I've got 3, none are at school yet, they're much safer in my car at a petrol station.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (13-11-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (14-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (13-11-2013)