+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 03-03-2014 at 20:39.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Considering this woman has done this before, and that she didn't rock up until a full 5 minutes after she was called over the PA, I would be assuming that she did it on purpose and that she's an irresponsible freaking idiot.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (12-11-2013),Gracie's Mum  (12-11-2013),LaDiDah  (14-11-2013),me+he&she=three  (14-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (13-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Considering this woman has done this before, and that she didn't rock up until a full 5 minutes after she was called over the PA, I would be assuming that she did it on purpose and that she's an irresponsible freaking idiot.
    Amen sister!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post
    Are you able to find that thread Nomsie? Im having such a hard time wrapping my head around that concept and I reckon it would be easier if I could read that.
    http://www.pulitzer.org/works/2010-Feature-Writing

This is the article. It's graphic and confronting but also a very educational read.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (12-11-2013),Tildy  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I just don't get why someone would do it on purpose?
    You just have to read the "I leave my child alone in the car while I pay for petrol, do XYZ etc and i'm not a bad mum" threads on BH.

Leaving a child alone in a car is socially acceptable.. At least for the majority on BH. It's not hard to imagine how a mum in wider society then thinks its ok to leave her kid in the car while she 'ducks off' for a quick errand. It's a slippery slope and I draw the line at leaving a small child alone in a car, full stop.
    Last edited by VicPark; 12-11-2013 at 06:10.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (13-11-2013),FrothyFrog  (12-11-2013),Mathermy  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nomsie, I read that article too. It certainly makes it harder for me to pass judgement on situations like these. If you have the time, have a read, it is long but really well written.

My main concern is for the child. I hope that this little boy is doing OK now. If this is a repeat situation, I hope that this family is given the help that they need.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by risfaerie View Post
    Nomsie, I read that article too. It certainly makes it harder for me to pass judgement on situations like these. If you have the time, have a read, it is long but really well written.

My main concern is for the child. I hope that this little boy is doing OK now. If this is a repeat situation, I hope that this family is given the help that they need.
    This. And I actually shed tears while reading it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I locked both my kids in the car once on a sweltering hot day while putting shopping away in the boot. I live in qld so normally I would turn the car on so the aircon was on while I strapped both babies in their seats. On this particular day I'd just listened to a news report about a mother who left her car running while putting the children in and a guy came and hijacked the car along with her kids, so on this day I kept the keys with me and tucked them into the top of my pants as I had no pockets and needed to use both my hands. I kept both back doors open along with the boot door up so there was some airflow. After my 3 month old and 16 month old were safety strapped in, I closed both back doors then went round the back to close the boot of my 4wd. As I reached up to grab the door the keys fell out of the top of my pants and into the door jam and when the boot slammed shut it must of pressed the button on my keys locked both of my babies inside.

Of course I have heard all the stories of how quickly babies die in hot cars and it was a boiling hot day. I went into full blown panic mode and started screaming, I had locked my phone in the car so I ran into the middle of a busy rd and flagged down a passing car to call for help while another passerby tried to find something I could smash the window with. In a last ditch attempt I spoke to my eldest through the window, who amazingly managed to reach over and unlock the car door (he was only 16 months).

I also reserve judgment until I find out the whole story. Without all the information we are all just jumping to conclusions, but it does serve as a reminder to us all now that summer is here about car safety.. We should all have plan in place to minimise the risk. I now always carry my handbag under my arm (with my keys and phone inside) when strapping my kids in.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (12-11-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (12-11-2013),Purple Lily  (12-11-2013),risfaerie  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a horrible thing to hear about again and again. But sometimes it isn't an accident. Sometimes it's a convenience for the parent/caregiver. Which is even worse.

I could understand the accidental locking off the car. Even forgetting poor Tommy for a few minutes. But it's something I can't wrap my head around that you forget a child. Your child.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonezart For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (12-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by foguka View Post
    It's a horrible thing to hear about again and again. But sometimes it isn't an accident. Sometimes it's a convenience for the parent/caregiver. Which is even worse.

I could understand the accidental locking off the car. Even forgetting poor Tommy for a few minutes. But it's something I can't wrap my head around that you forget a child. Your child.
    I agree, sometimes it is not an accident. Purposely leaving your child in a hot car for any length of time unattended is risky, and neglectful.

I can wrap my head around it being an accident in some situations. I am militant when it comes to seatbelt safety. It was drilled into me as a child by my mother who flew through the window of the car when she was a kid, back when seatbelts were rare. When DS was a newborn, I was tired and running late, I popped him in his capsule, was distracted momentarily by my then 2yo DD, put her in the car and drove off. Due to my tiredness and the distraction, I forgot to buckle DS up.

It was only a quick trip up the road, and I was MORTIFIED when I realised that I had not properly buckled him in. It may seem to be less extreme than forgetting to drop your child at preschool and leaving them in the car, but if I'd had an accident I would have been a headline- "Child falls out window after mother fails to buckle seatbelt". BH members would have been wondering how on earth I forgot to buckle a seatbelt, I would be a thread!

The thing is, accidents happen, no matter how unlikely they may seem. I don't know if the original incident this threat relates to is an accident, it may be a deliberate an neglectful act. In which case, this women needs to be dealt with. But people do forget, no matter how hard it may be to understand.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-11-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (12-11-2013),MummaJez  (13-11-2013),RaaRaaMumma  (12-11-2013)