+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    Honestly, I've watched episodes of air crash investigation where pilots have made similar disastrous mistakes due to a minor, seemingly insignificant disruption or change to the pre-flight checklists. It's documented by psychologists the way the human brain can in a way, go into autopilot, even when there's two people involved (pilot and co-pilot).
    Ok maybe I need to find these episodes to get the message through to DH. If there's planes - he'll get it. Ha ha.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to #Mama For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Touché, VP, touché.
    Oh I didn't mean to be smart/clever.... I meant I understood the analogy and I sort of agree (have put wipers on instead of blinkers).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Oh I didn't mean to be smart/clever.... I meant I understood the analogy and I sort of agree (have put wipers on instead of blinkers).
    Ohhhhh!

I thought you were referring to the blinkers we were all approaching this subject with.

And I could see your point. It's emotive and we're likely to be blinkered by our own experiences or those of people we know.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-11-2013),VicPark  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by #Mama View Post
    Ok maybe I need to find these episodes to get the message through to DH. If there's planes - he'll get it. Ha ha.
    I spoke to DH about it all when somebody posted the Swiss cheese article in another thread. We both see how it can happen to anyone and agreed we'd put something in the backseat that had to be grabbed upon getting out (ie I'd put my purse back there, he'd put his phone/wallet which he normally puts in the center console) back there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (16-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    I don't understand how people do this.

I hope the child makes a quick recovery.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au...-1226756976301

eep, not a nice story to read at all.

Imo its on a completely different level to popping into the servo a mere 5 metre away.

I would never dream of leaving my kids in the car, its way to hot here as it is let alone leaving them in something that will only make it hotter. No way.

I the little one is ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Accidental post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I spoke to DH about it all when somebody posted the Swiss cheese article in another thread. We both see how it can happen to anyone and agreed we'd put something in the backseat that had to be grabbed upon getting out (ie I'd put my purse back there, he'd put his phone/wallet which he normally puts in the center console) back there.
    I saw a pp mention something similar and think it's an excellent idea - wallet or phone on the backseat. Ideally phone - you dot go anywhere without it it PLUS it's out of reach if it rings, no temptation to talk while driving! My problem is getting DH to recognize that fatal distraction is something that could happen to anyone. Himself included.
    With reference to the OP, my understanding of the articles is that the mother was well aware she had the child in the car, took her sweet time coming back to the car when called and has done this before several times.
    If that's the case then in my opinion that's not fatal distraction. It's sheer stupidity and negligence.
    I lived in Darwin for a long time, and have also spent time in Townsville.
    It's widely known and even advertised on the radio/newspapers etc that children and animals should not be left in parked cars under any circumstances.
    Ever.
    It's buildup in the tropics for chrissakes.
    To me she is guilty of deliberate negligence.
    Has there been any follow up articles on this? I'd love to see more information and what the outcome was.