+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'm not saying people can necessarily prevent being *extremely* tired (although I do think in some cases tiredness can be reduced... But I don't want to get into another SOS bashing session). What I'm saying is parents have the ability and responsibility to reduce risks when they are suffering from severe tiredness and distraction. I honestly can't see how others can't see this....The cops target driver fatigue all the time... Stop revive survive and all that. I'm not saying a solution is easy and without inconvenience. I'm just saying a solution is necessary and if you can't come up with one them I'm sorry but you have no place driving.
    Yes cops do that....maybe if you are driving 1200km.........not going to local shops for some milk.What if a mum walked her kid in a pram/riding their bike...they were sooooooooooooo tired they blacked out,kid ran onto road and caused a 6 car pile up?would you be so judgy?! probably

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by *Chels* View Post
    But how can people help being tired?!?! Waking up every hour BFing a baby is hardly a choice,where going out and drinking 3 bottles of wine is.seriously I BF'd for 6 years straight...woken up EVERY night.My kids still wake up and they are 5 and 8.I cannot put my life on hold coz I am tired.And TBH it doesn't matter if you are out on the road,or at home accidents can happen.Can we jail every person who has had an accident who has been tired?!!? ACCIDENTS HAPPEN.Are you seriously saying in your whole parenting life that you have never,not once made a mistake or had an accident?!?
    I think some people are using different standards to judge themselves.

You know - 'I had an accident, YOU were negligent'.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

beebs  (15-11-2013),CleverClogs  (15-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I think a person obviously has issues if you go into auto pilot. I have never done this,
    This statement is completely contradictory.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by CleverClogs; 15-11-2013 at 08:25.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (15-11-2013),mummytomy2boysxxx  (15-11-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Despite VP's (typical) hard line stance, I agree with her that driving with extreme fatigue is extremely dangerous and should be avoided at all costs. It IS as dangerous as being under the influence, and while I can see that for some people there really isn't any other option, for many there most certainly would be options. Too many people think it's unavoidable, when many times it is. I don't want to be on the road with ANYONE whose driving is impaired, I don't actually care what your reasons are. It frightens me that people are saying 'I don't know how I got home (haha)' nope it's not a funny joke, it's not something to shrug your shoulders over. If you're that tired you look at every other option before getting in your car.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (15-11-2013),HearMeRoar  (15-11-2013),kw123  (15-11-2013),MrsBid  (17-11-2013),Pesca77  (15-11-2013),VicPark  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/truc...528-2n8z8.html

Fatigue most certainly can make you culpable in an accident. Being a tired parent doesn't exempt you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    OK VP please tell me exactly how I know I am that tired that I am the same as a drunk driver. There is no test to tell how tired someone is.

As person who often only get 2-4 hours of broken sleep, I would love to know when i go from normal everyday tired to drunk tired.
    http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...RoadSafety.htm

After 17 hours awake. I can't believe so many people are dismissing the fact that driving fatigued is extremely dangerous. If you KNOW you are extremely fatigued, you should be looking at either how to get more sleep, or how you can get around without driving.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Re the autopilot thing aren't we on autopilot a lot of the time, sleep deprived or not? I sleep all night every night and if I take the same route time and time again once I get there I cannot recall specific turns, cars, stops, etc. That's pretty normal.

If someone is so tired they forget the entire day then yeah, best to not be driving if possible.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

mummytomy2boysxxx  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think I live on auto pilot. I definitely wonder how I get home some days.

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The whole "Swiss cheese theory", fatal distraction thing and just getting onto autopilot scared the bejesus out of me because I'm forgetful at the best of times - even without being sleep deprived!
    We're still TTC and the thought of leaving my future baby in the car makes me go cold inside. I feel physically sick.
    What's really bothering me about it is that my DH just "doesn't get" how someone can forget their child. I've tried explaining the article to him (he won't read it as he thinks it's too morbid and I'm being morbid for even thinking and talking about it) and I find it so incredibly frustrating. I'd rather read it and think about it and feel sick about it as I feel that for myself - it's opening my eyes to how easily the "holes line up" and it can happen for minor things like leaving the front door open, not locking the car - leaving your baby behind.
    I think if you're aware of how easily it can happen maybe there's steps you can put in place to help - or checklist, alarms/reminders on phone (I do this now for literally everything - drop off the ironing, get cash out or ironing, transfer $$ for FS, pay rent, time to do OPK, time to check OPK etc)
    Aware is prepared. Perhaps it happens because people simply don't think it can happen to them.
    I'm worried that my DH - who thinks that he is above things like this happening, is too organized, "I have a military background - I run checklists it wouldn't happen to me" blah blah - I worry that he has the type of personality (personality is the wrong word here but I can't think!!!) that this would actually happen to him, rather than someone who is AWARE that they are forgetful and unorganized and are always double checking themselves.
    I don't know if I've made sense here -
    I'm awful at articulating my thoughts on this.

Has anyone else discussed the accidental leaving of their child in the car an the whole "Swiss cheese theory" idea with their DH/DP? What was their reaction? Did they "get it" or jut couldn't comprehend? Were you able to explain it a different way that worked better?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    No! I am not talking about simply being tired. I am talking about being extremely tired to the point of when your senses are the same as a person with a blood alcohol limit higher than 0.05. If that is you and you do certain things (eg drive) then yeah you are being negligent and if something catastrophic happens as a result that is not an accident, it is a tragedy that occurs due to your negligence..
    I agree that extreme exhaustion can and does impact a persons ability in the same way that alcohol does. I know my own limits and absolutely agree that if I drove my family knowing full well that I was incapable of making sound decisions on the road - I would be behaving in a negligent manner and if something happened I would absolutely hold myself accountable.
    A person needs to realize and accept their limits. It doesn't make you a lesser person to say - no, I just can't.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #Mama For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-11-2013),VicPark  (15-11-2013)