+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Good for you KG, good for you.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (14-11-2013),lilypily  (14-11-2013),Mathermy  (14-11-2013),Mokeybear  (14-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (14-11-2013),Stiflers Mom  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I guess it does depend on a lot of things, how flexible your work is and all that kind of stuff as well.

I still don't understand how you can be so black and white and then not offer any suggestions. Like you would never, ever do it. But how? You clearly have a support network in place, some people don't.

Not as bad as leaving a child in a car, but I forget my turn off home all the time, like seriously at least once a week. I keep going towards my old house. That I haven't lived in for 10 months!

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'm not talking about 'tiredness'. I'm talking about 'extreme tiredness' where your alertness is the same as someone with a blood alcohol level over 0.05.

Whether or not you might get charged I suppose would depend on a variety of factors, eg:
    - were you just 'tired' or suffering extreme tiredness?
    - was there a local bus service?
    - was the school within walking distance?
    - were other options for drop off explored? (Eg hiring a carer, getting hubby to alter work hours to help etc).

It depends on the walking distance and whether there was a local bus service?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I think a person obviously has issues if you go into auto pilot. I have never done this, I would not simply drive past my ds's daycare and forget to drop him off. When I leave the house in the mornings I am focused on what I need to do, pure and simple. And as I said earlier I don't switch off once ds is at school, ds is at daycare and I am working. I think about my kids brought the day so being momentarily forgetful would soon be realised!
    I do wonder if you've ever experienced torture level sleep deprivation then. The kind where you start hallucinating, you're so tired you are only just barely functioning on auto pilot, your whole body hurts and you are completely and utterly convinced you're perfectly fine.

Back in my day, ABC played Alice Cooper on the kids cartoons and our cartoons could talk. Being a kid sucks now.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This thread is driving me bonkers.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (14-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (14-11-2013),trustno1  (15-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I still don't understand how you can be so black and white and then not offer any suggestions. Like you would never, ever do it. But how? You clearly have a support network in place, some people don't.

Not as bad as leaving a child in a car, but I forget my turn off home all the time, like seriously at least once a week. I keep going towards my old house. That I haven't lived in for 10 months!
    Sorry I don't mean to be shady... There are a million different things I could brainstorm but it depends on the situation at hand and I don't know where to start. I haven't had a big enough chunk of time to blurt out all the possible ideas that have popped into my head. And Im afraid even if I did people would just nit-pick at them anyway.

Regarding missing a turn-off that's not a major issue on the danger scale... I've done it too, usually when I have a friend in the car and they are crapping on. That's why I turn the radio down/tune out my friends when I come to a busy intersection etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Oh get of your high horse. Don't assume because I have a different viewpoint to you that I am ignorant and can't or don't empathise. I understand pressures that new parents are under.

And well yeah maybe it could happen to me.. But I hold myself to high standards and follow common sense practices in order to minimise the risk. I don't do stupid things that up the chance of things going wrong... Such as phone chat after phone chat when I am driving with my kid, like the dad in the story. If I am like a zombie I don't drive. There is no excuse for driving when you are so tired that you have the same senses as an intoxicated person. Don't get that milk and if the kids have to miss school for the day so be it. So yeah I do judge and call it negligence when other parents don't hold themselves to high enough standards and do silly things that put their kids at risk. Do I still feel sorry for them? Yes. Do I judge what I consider to be a genuine accident? No.
    I believe someone else's horse is a teeny bit higher...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (14-11-2013),Mathermy  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I often drive home and wonder how I got there .. I just wish the same person driving me home would also do my folding :/

I'm quite the experienced auto-pilot

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-11-2013),MINIRoo  (15-11-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (14-11-2013)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I think a person obviously has issues if you go into auto pilot. I have never done this, I would not simply drive past my ds's daycare and forget to drop him off. When I leave the house in the mornings I am focused on what I need to do, pure and simple. And as I said earlier I don't switch off once ds is at school, ds is at daycare and I am working. I think about my kids brought the day so being momentarily forgetful would soon be realised!
    But isn't by nature the thing about autopilot that we don't know we're on it unless we do something unusual like miss a turnoff etc.? I just don't think you can say that you are absolutely conscious and present through everything you ever do. You mean you've never stood in the shower for a second and forgotten whether you'd done the conditioner already? Cos I have. And I have plenty of issues, sure, but occasionally going into autopilot ain't one of them...

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-11-2013),CleverClogs  (15-11-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I want to be a perfect mother/citizen just like you You seem to ooze perfection no matter what it is if only we were all as awesome as you.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Mathermy  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    You know how many times I've left my front door wide open and gone to work? Loads. Lucky I live in a good neighbourhood!

One time, when we were doing renovations, a tradie turned up and called my phone and asked if I was home. When I said I was at work, he told me that my front door was wide open.