+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    You serious? So what do FIFO, army partners, single parents or anyone else who is home sick with one or multiple children do??

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Negligent of course!

Oh to live in VP's simple world.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you have gone a bit far down this road VP.

Remove the distractions,fatigue etc in the equation. Have you never operated on autopilot?

I drive past my kids FDC to get to work, the other day I drove straight past, DS pipes up a few streets later `Hey Mum why didn't you stop at FDC Mum's place?'. I was merrily driving myself to work, I was not tired, or talking on the phone, just operating on autopilot.

Now remove the talking toddler and add a sleeping baby in a rear facing seat. Maybe your partner put the nappy bag in the backseat instead of the passenger seat so that reminder was not immediately visible.

Human beings f!ck up sometimes. A f!ck up of such monumental proportions that your baby cooks to death in the car, really nothing more horrific on this planet. But the human brain does lapse, it does go into autopilot when you are completing tasks that you have done hundreds of times.

Sometimes parents too are tragically human.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (14-11-2013),beebs  (14-11-2013),LoveLivesHere  (14-11-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (14-11-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (14-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (14-11-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (14-11-2013),Stretched  (14-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    IMO it is more negligent to miss a days work, meaning your family will not eat for 3 days or the electricity will get cut off, than to drive to work tired.

From my experience if I didn't drive tired my DD would have been left at school all night several days a week in the first few months of my sons life. I was not tired that morning when I dropped her off. I live 6km out of town, I would have to walk on a 100km an hour road (no footpath - country arterial road) to get there. I was new to town so no network of mums to call on yet. DH works more hours than someone doing 2 full time jobs and all my family are interstate. I could move to town, but then I'd need a job to pay the higher rent, so then I would be even more tired.

We don't all live in an ideal world. Sometimes there is no good choice and bad choice - just 2 bad options to decide between.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Failure to take proper care ... unexpectedly . hey... I say the fellow who spent to whole car ride to work/daycare on his mobile phone was failing to take proper care... The fact that his toddler died as a result was an absolute tragedy but it was reasonably forseeable that something could happen when he wasn't focused at all on his kid or driving.

I say parents who drive when they are so tired they have the same skill level as a drunk are failing to take proper care.

Of course not all scenarios are due to failing to take reasonable care however I think a chunk of the ones being discussed here are.
    Wow. I drive when tired all the time.

Of course I try not to, but when my son was a baby he was sick for almost two years, had operations and hardly slept. I had a daughter who was older but still needed to get to certain activities. A husband at the time who worked 6 day week 12 hour days shift work.

I sometimes forgot things. I sometimes drove tired because I had to get formula and used to have to take my son to Drs at least twice per week.

I hope you are volunteering to help other people who may not be managing to your standards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Just shocking and it happens too often.

Recently over here a child was left in the car outside the daycare centre, the father forgot to take the child into the daycare, parked his car near the daycare centre and caught the bus to work as he always does, when he got to the daycare to collect his 1 year old that afternoon and the staff told him the child hadn't been dropped off that morning he then realised his tragic mistake and the baby was found in the car. So very sad.
    Don't quote me on it, but I have heard that there is more to this story and he is being investigated. Again, I could be wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't understand this level of tiredness before I had DD, I had raised 3 boys previous but they were 'good sleepers'.
    DD's first 18 months of life really opened my eyes to EXTREME complete and utter exhaustion on a level I didn't know existed. I lived on no doze plus.

It's funny, even though DD is now 22 months and at the moment sleeping really well, no matter how much sleep I get I still feel exhausted, it must be the lingering effects of such a long sleep deprivation.

I have nothing but sympathy for the parents that this has happened to and do think that this could happen to anyone of us if the conditions were right which is bone chilling.

If you are going through a particularly bad time with kids sleep at the moment put a sticky memo on the drivers side door that you can see when getting out of the car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    You serious? So what do FIFO, army partners, single parents or anyone else who is home sick with one or multiple children do??

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app
    My husband works FIFO, I have a 11 week old, a 5 year old (school next year) and a 6 year old. I will work part time next year, but in the meantime how am I meant to get my 6 year old to school? Driving is the only option. I can't be expected to stay home everyday just because I might be tired at the wheel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Ladies I know many of you are doing it tough I just can't bring myself to say its ok to take part in certain risky behavior. It's not OK to drive when drunk, it's not OK to drive when suffering from *extreme* tiredness or distraction. As that road safety slogan goes "drink drive bl00dy idi0t."

I'm not saying a solution will be easy. And I'm not saying I have all the answers. I'm not saying I go around and help other parents who are doing it tough. If you are suffering from *extreme* tiredness or distraction then it's your job, not mine, to come up with measures to prevent something catastrophic from happening.

Best of luck to all you overworked and tired mummas.
    Last edited by VicPark; 14-11-2013 at 16:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I really hope this next bub of yours sleeps for you VP or you may learn first hand what it's like to be completely and utterly sleep deprived for an extended period and still have an older child to look after.

My oldest has to go to school. I cant keep him home every day because I am exhausted. My husband starts work at 5am so he cant drop him. My closest family member lives 30 minutes away and works so she cant drop him. So I drink a red bull, splash my face with cold water and drive him to school. Cos it's what parents have to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    I really hope this next bub of yours sleeps for you VP or you may learn first hand what it's like to be completely and utterly sleep deprived for an extended period and still have an older child to look after.

My oldest has to go to school. I cant keep him home every day because I am exhausted. My husband starts work at 5am so he cant drop him. My closest family member lives 30 minutes away and works so she cant drop him. So I drink a red bull, splash my face with cold water and drive him to school. Cos it's what parents have to do.
    I'm not saying you are not doing it tough but *if* you are driving with the same level of alertness as someone with a blood alcohol level of more than 0.05 then yes you are being negligent. If you are not then my words dont apply to you. Being a mum and having a kid at school is not a free pass for putting others at risk.