+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bleeding post caesarian

Hi ladies,

Posted this in two spots as wasnt sure where gets read more, so if you see it twice sorry :s
    Hope this isn't a tmi type question, but I am having our first baby by Caesarian in 4 weeks, I asked lots of questions with my OB but still have some more.

How much vaginal bleeding can I expect after my caesar? I will be having a spinal block and urinary catheter, so I am wondering what happens post surgery as I will still be numb, do they put a big pad under you for the bleeding (as I am guessing no underwear on while the catheter is in), until you are mobile and can look after it yourself? Anyone's insight would be great, I am a type who likes to know what to expect, as I have quite some anxiety over the Caesarian but know its the safest option for me and bub, but want to be prepared for what's to come! Any advice would be great, thanks xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep don't worry about all about the bleeding while you're still numb, They put a big blue mat underneath you and a pad between your legs and you don't have to think about it. They change it whenever necessary and then when you get the catheter removed then you're in charge of it yourself. Make sure you get the big huge maternity pads at least 2 packs I reckon for the first few days then I just used extra long ultra thin night time pads until the flow settled down. It's no where near as bad as a vaginal birth i'm told but there is still quite a bit of blood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep agree with PP, you don't have to attend to the bleeding until the catheter comes out. I bled for a long time (about 9 weeks) but by about week 3, it was just like the end of a period with a few small clots every now and then. I found the Kotex maternity pads to be great, though I used stayfree with no problems also.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bleeding lasted for around 6 weeks but nothing too heavy. Don't worry, you won't even think about it after you have a beautiful bubba in your arms!
    fYI I also found it hurt to do number two after my Caesar!!! I was a bit constipated and my Dr said it was due to medication, that lasted a few weeks too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pretty much same bleeding caesarean or vaginal birth. As PP have said, midwives will take care of you until you're able to move about, nothing to worry about there. A few packs of pads for after that.