+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Boys name - keep pushing for fav??

Greetings all!

My DP and I will be welcoming our first son in March and are very excited. For the last couple of years I have loved the name Harry and always told my DP that's what our son will be called. He has usually just brushed me off knowing we didn't actually have to make this decision, until now!

I've been pushing for Harry ever since finding out I was pregnant, and even more so since finding out he was a boy. I love the name and think it suits both a child and adult and goes well with the surname. DP just says he doesn't 'love' the name and we should keep thinking....

Last night he was tossing up names and Nicholas came up which actually I don't mind. Nick is a good nickname and again, goes ok with the surname.

I still love Harry, but is it worth continuing to push for it? Has anyone's partners ever given in and accepted your favourite name? Or should I agree to Nicholas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi MsB!

Congratulations on your boy! Names are such a tricky area. My DH gave up suggesting names as I am a teacher and certain names just could never be used! I think it's important to keep an open mind and ask your partner to as well.

For my DS2 I really loved the name Hayden but DH wasn't sold. I simply kept putting names forward until I found one he liked. I would have felt bad pushing for Hayden when DH didn't love it. In the end we called him Hamish and it suits him so well.

I think it's best to just keep throwing names around and make the decision once you've met him. I did this with DS1 - he was going to be either Isaac or Blake. When he arrived he was never going to be Blake. He made up our minds for us!

Good luck and keep communicating with your partner

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't been in the same position as such, where I had a name I absolutely loved and DH didn't, but I could never have a name where both of us didn't love or at least like alot! We had a list of names we both liked and then picked the one that we thought best suited DD when she was born. Perhaps Nick as his first name if you both agree on that and maybe Harry as the middle name....??

Thanks
    Reviews
    My beautiful boy is Hamish too! I'm preg with my second boy and love Andy... My dh can't do the Hamish and Andy thing though! Damn! Names names names, there are so many but its so hard to decide!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Boomchocolatepudding For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchocolatepudding View Post
    My beautiful boy is Hamish too! I'm preg with my second boy and love Andy... My dh can't do the Hamish and Andy thing though! Damn! Names names names, there are so many but its so hard to decide!
    Yay another Hamish!! I love Andi for a girl but just couldn't do it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a girls name that had special meaning for me that for years told DH that is what a girl would be called. When we actually got pregnant DH confessed he wasn't that keen on it. We ended up picking an alternative that we both loved. I couldn't name any baby a name my DH didn't love also. But that's just me!

Harry is actually a nickname for Henry. Would your DP prefer that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would drop the topic until he's born and then stick to your guns

We had the same issue with our Ds, we both each loved a name and but also didn't dislike the others name if that makes sense. In the end I let Dh win and have regretted it immensely. I know if it were the other way round Dh wouldn't even have given his choice of name a second thought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All of my favourites were canned We had to find names we both agreed on - the art of compromise, unfortunately. A little disappointing, but thats how it goes I guess.

Love the boy name we agreed, like the girls name but don't really love it.