+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am having a little trouble grasping this particular company. I am not familiar with volunteers working for companies.

Working for community purposes that may or may not include paid staff yes. This seems a little out there. I do a lot of of volunteer stuff - all for the community.

RFS - firefighter
    Local Business Chamber of Commerce
    Mini Rail (not for profit)
    Forum work at shows etc

then other one off events or annual events

My wife sometimes feels I am too involved and sometimes i agree

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

babyla  (11-11-2013),dancingchipmunk  (11-11-2013),HowCrazyCool  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you need to sit down and work out what's reasonable in your relationship and then advise the company. If your DH isn't saying he can't do it, then they are probably assuming he is okay with it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is it a not for profit? It all sounds very odd to me if it's not. Regardless, it definitely sounds like they are taking advantage but it's for your DH to say no. You can't expect the organisation not to ask if he keeps saying yes. Why wouldn't they?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't get why a company would have volunteers OP? Seems a bit odd.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I don't get why a company would have volunteers OP? Seems a bit odd.
    Same. Sounds a bit dodgy to me. I've done volunteer work for a not for profit and I could just say when I could work and they worked around that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Is it a not for profit? It all sounds very odd to me if it's not. Regardless, it definitely sounds like they are taking advantage but it's for your DH to say no. You can't expect the organisation not to ask if he keeps saying yes. Why wouldn't they?
    ^^^ this I agree with. If he keeps saying "yes" why would they think it's not okay to ask. If they're asking as in "can you do xyz time & day"

Is there any consequences if he says no or pressure for him to say yes?

Although if it's like he's getting there and then being told he "can't" leave until 5pm even though he's agreed to be there until 3pm - then I don't think that's fair at all.

Has he spoken to them about it?

*edit - I've done volunteer work, it's always been a set time frame, like a weekend a month, or x hours on x day a week type thing. Never been like they owned me and could tell me what they wanted from me. One was I filled out what hours I was available and found a "slot" that fit me and others I knew what the times was before I offered/agreed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Boobycino; 11-11-2013 at 20:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Your hubby needs to get some balls, put his family first and refuse excessive shifts. The company sounds like a for profit company... Why would your hubby want to volunteer for them when they have paid workers?
    - is there anything else going on?

Good luck.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

gizmoduckus  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe company isn't the right discription, business?

I spoke to him last night, they have a roster. Ive said that is fine, but anymore than the 2 shifts he is given is cutting into his time with ds, and its not fair. (works elsewhere also on a roster and on call)

I think your right vic park he needs to man up to them. I don't think its a case of saying "yes" but I think they guilt him into not being able to say no. last night it was "well x would be on their own, and they can't do it all"...

When I pressed him and asked if he wasn't volunteering there at all, what would happen, he just said that they would only ruin tge shop and not have the bus part.

Basically, we live on the coast, our port is naturally deeper than most others ie melbourne. So ships tend to call in to top up. They import things like windfarm pieces/export ones made locally, export logs, woodchips, livestock and generally grain.

This business has a shop ond the port that the ship workers can but things from, and exchange currencies. Then every hour do a bus run into town and back incase they wanted anything from the supermarket.
    They have paid and volunteer workers. He says theres a chance it could lead to paid work at a better rate than he is currently on but that wouldnt be for a while...he agreed to do it because his resume is less than impressive, with only 2 jobs/professional references.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he is doing it with a view to it leading to paid work within the company it's not true volunteering. There is info about this on the Fair Work site.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why would a business ever pay workers if they have an unlimited supply of free labour?