+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Norms of Volunteering...?

Just wondering if anyone you or anyone you know volunteer for a company and if so what are the normal conditions?

Df has started volunteering for a local company, but im wondering if they are "abusing" him in the amount he is asked to be there?

It's not a requirement like work for the dole, practices for a tafe placement or for centrelink, he was asked if he would like to and he said yes.

How often and how many hours?

Is it the same role and responsibilities as a paid worker?

df was there, alone doing everything friday night 3pm-10pm. Then sunday 10am till 3pm.

I didn't think much of it, however, he never returned home before he started work at 5 pm sunday because he had to lock up, and fix everything up, and by the time it was done, he had enough time to get to his paid job with only 20 mins to spare.
    our 2 year old only seen his daddy for about 45 mind before he left in the morning. He was in bed when he got home.

They wanted him to be there at 9 this morning to learn how to do books or something, but when I said it's a load of crap how often he is there, it's volunteering and his family should come first, he didn't go.

Then, he gets a message before saying that someone (a paid worker) cant turn up, can he be there from 3pm-6pm today.

Is it just me or is this a little too much too often? It's 100% volunteer work, with no requirements to do it. im glad he is helping, but I can't help but think he is being taken advantage of?

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel0205 View Post
    Then, he gets a message before saying that someone (a paid worker) cant turn up, can he be there from 3pm-6pm today.

this is not right. he should have been offered payment.
    Sorry not much advice as i dont know the correct info to tell you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like a lot to me.

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It sounds as though he is being taken advantage of. He needs to say to them he is only available for X number of hours per week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the replies.
    I didn't think I was being unreasonable feeling frustrated he was gone, again, especially when someone who gets paid isn't there and he takes their place.

I used to volunteer at the ymca, but it was only like 3-4hrs at a time twice a week. This just seems excessive to me. I think ill suggest he offers himself for a certain amount only.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to run an organisation that had a lot of volunteers (100+)

We asked our volunteers to provide their availability and we always worked in with that. We had monthly rosters and only ever called on someone if they had indicated that they were available at short notice or if they would like more shifts.

However I strongly disagree with he notion of 'its just volunteering'. We created and fostered an environment where volunteers were seen the same as paid staff. We absolutely appreciated their time and effort and we made this known, however we asked that they put in the same amount of dedication that they would if they were getting paid.

Perhaps your DH can speak to the manager regarding his availability and hours that he can and cannot attend

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry if I offended you, it wasn't my intention. I just feel he it's being used in place of paid workers. He just text me to say he it's now doing till 10pm again. 12hrs in 2 days, 1 day break (saturday) and 7am hours friday as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What is it for OP? It does sound excessive to me. I used to volunteer for a help line and did a 6 hour shift once a fortnight. They would sometimes call if someone else was sick and if I could/wanted to go I would, but there was never any pressure to go.

I know SES, Firefighters etc will often do 12 hour shifts several days in a row in an emergency, but that's a very different scenario from you you have described.

I'd be saying to the. He can do X Shifts/hours a week. I think volunteering is an awesome thing to do when it's helping the community, but not at the expense of his paid position or so much of your family time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It does seem excessive. Is it a small company? Are they recruiting more volunteers? Maybe it's a temporary thing until they can get more people to share the load.

I certainly hope they are not taking advantage of your husbands obvious kind nature

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a company that does things for overseas workers off export ships. He drives a minibus, that ferries then from ship to town and back, and also in their "shop" that sells souvineers and transfers international money to australian from what he has said. It would be small but he has said theres about 5 paid workers and about equal volunteers, I can't see how he would be needed soooo much? Theres only 1 or 2 ships in at the moment (small port) we are in the country not the city.