+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Colouring hair when pregnant?

Ok, so im 15 weeks pregnant and was wondering if its safe to colour my hair? I don't just want a colour change for the sake of it, i have 3.5 inches of grey roots and its getting me down!

Some people have told me that because i want to dye my hair darker its safer than bleaching but others have told me that some dye/chemicals can go through your scalp into your blood****** and potentially harm the baby?

I'm really confused and i know it seems vain to even be considering/thinking about this, so apologies if it it seems trivial!

Does anyone have any advise?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think its a personal choice. I dont think enough colour passes through you scalp to cause any harm. Im blonde and onto my 3rd bub and have coloured my hair everytime, roots every 6 weeks. All my friends and family have aswell. But it your bub I would ask your hairdresser or your ob to ease you mind.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

LadyInWeighting  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've asked so many hair dressers this & they all say it's an old wives tales. Dye on your scalp cannot be absorbed into your blood ******( unless you have a wet exposed cut on your head). The only issue is fumes from the dye, but most hair dressers are well ventilated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Colour is definitely safer than bleaching (bleached foils are ok as it's not touching your scalp)

My ob said there is very minimal amount if chemicals that will cross the placenta but yes some might. I did my hair I think 3 times during both pregnancies and all was ok 😀 (both after first trimester)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only just coloured my hair for the first time in ages this weekend and I'm 19 weeks today. I wanted to wait until after the first trimester, but I think it's okay now.

I've seen many pregnant hairdressers and figured that if they're okay to continue work where they are exposed to it all the time then it really can't be that harmful?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I coloured mine on Saturday at 15+6, one of those mousse ones, a medium brown. Stank a bit, but made sure I sat out somewhere ventilated. I think it's a crock of crap about leaching into the blood******. I had awful regrowth and a few greys poking through, so didn't think twice on doing it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im a hairdresser.. No probs with first pregnancy and I worked full time until the day i had bubs. I did have the fan on me all the time to keep the airflow happening.. Good ventilation is the main thing. Sometimes pregnant ladies throw more gold when bleaching or going lighter, but if its a darker colour, it's fine. Just sit outside during process time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another option is looking for a hairdresser that uses those fancy organic or natural dyes

I personally got a full head of foils and maybe even a base colour too at about 20 weeks (for my own wedding!) and had no problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to the hairdressers every 6 weeks from about 7 weeks pregnant, foils and all over colour, I had no troubles

Thanks
    Reviews
    according to my mom it is bad for the baby..even if its old wives tale there is nothing wrong if we follow,theres nothing to loose anywayz..