+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    My issue at home is I cook with recipes, or have in mind what I want to cook for dinner (lunches and breakfasts are ok). So I buy what I want for the night.

I am absolutely HOPELESS at just "throwing together a meal". My friends are usually so good at it and they shop for food thinking of things to make later, wheras I plan the meals for the week and buy whatever is needed for them. I'd imagine if I had to make do with what I have at home I would have a grilled protein with plain steamed veges every single night. So non-creative.
    Yep!! That'd be right. I plan on being extremely non creative this week .. Haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    How about the people who are opposed to it or don't want to do it just don't pop into the thread??

I'm a bit disappointed that something that I didn't ask for opinions on has become that. I know it's an open forum but c'mon!! Let's have a thread without tension please.

If I don't want to participate in a weight loss challenge because it doesn't suit my lifestyle or i think it's not doable I certainly wouldn't go in posting questioning comments to the other participants.

If it's not for you that's cool - no pressure to join in. But please don't derail this positive thread unnecessarily.

*Bows out*

I'd love a grocery bill/pantry challenge thread that didn't dictate a non-negotiable bottom line.

If anyone starts one let me know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    $21 is impossible for us - if we want to stick to our way of eating ( organic meat/chicken/eggs and seafood 3 times a week) and fresh fruit and veg ( some organic) I'm not one for freezing stuff or frozen food so my freezer is hardly used and I have lots if pantry stuff ( oils/flour /rice/baking stuff ect) but not sauces or canned stuff , I used to waste a lot more food but now with the dog there is not much left ! I do need to cut down but find it hard of what to cut !
    I get what you're saying but I just wanted to point out that you aren't meant to eat how you'd normally eat. I'm definitely not going to be. It's not a healthy way of eating and not how I normally run my kitchen ... But for one week I'm looking forward to seeing what I can rummage up.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine  (11-11-2013),~Marigold~  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Yep!! That'd be right. I plan on being extremely non creative this week .. Haha
    I've been keeping an eye on your food pics thread, you are about a zillion times better than me at putting meals together with just whatever. I'm a huge veg and e/w omelette fan for breakfast but that's about as good as it gets here. Menu planning for the week is very exact or we end up running to the shops. I'll give it a go tomorrow for dinner!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    *Bows out*

I'd love a grocery bill/pantry challenge thread that didn't dictate a non-negotiable bottom line.

If anyone starts one let me know!
    You could still do it but in a different way. We could always open it up to ... See how low you can get you bill in caparison to usual ... But I just heard of this simple savings challenge hence the $21 figure. I didn't create it ... I'm just giving it a go. (It just occurred to me that you may have thought I decided in $21 all by myself ... I copied it).

Either way - I just think personally challenging yourself to avoid the shops as much as possible for a week will hopefully put a few more dollars in your wallet.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would definitely give it a go if I hadn't already been using things up in my house over the past month or two.

We had SO MUCH stockpiled - not so much staples, but things like different tyes of noodles, meal kits, various tinned veg/fish etc. We're now mostly down to staples & fresh foods. Could still do it, but I'd be mostly living off of daal :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sub

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm keen to try it, but I don't want to deplete my pantry with a baby on the way, I have been building it all up so I can deplete it after he's here!!

So I will be doing this in a few weeks time (probably out of necessity not choice )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I've been keeping an eye on your food pics thread, you are about a zillion times better than me at putting meals together with just whatever. I'm a huge veg and e/w omelette fan for breakfast but that's about as good as it gets here. Menu planning for the week is very exact or we end up running to the shops. I'll give it a go tomorrow for dinner!
    I don't know if you already do it but you can pop in ingredients into online recipe sites and it will bring up recipes for you.

I'm good at throwing meals together but I'm a dead set recipe follower for baking ... I'm no nigella - I've had waayyyy too many baking failures!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Benji  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    This obviously is only meant for people who already have a backlog of food stored in their home... not to actually start from NOTHING and somehow buy $21 worth of food that is going to feed everyone for an entire week. lol.

It's also about cutting corners and not being super-healthy or whatever... it's more about eating enough to not starve, than following any sort of dietary plan. Kind of like how people without much money would probably love some wagyu beef and organic greens, but eat boiled potatoes and bread because there's not much else on offer...

I know what when I spent about $15 for hte week when we got back from our holiday, we didn't follow any sort of ideal diet... there was far too much sausages, rice, mince and potatoes for my liking...

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (10-11-2013),dee1  (12-11-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (10-11-2013),tatia&shura  (11-11-2013),Theboys&me  (10-11-2013),TimeForWine  (11-11-2013)