+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not joining in only because I did my fortnightly shop last sunday so I won't need to spend a cent on groceries this week anyway. but I just wanted to say I do live by this because sometimes I do the fortnightly shop and then I just can't be bothered shopping again so I will go another week or even 2 just living on what we have in the cupboard/fridge/freezer. I will buy some fruit and veg though because obviously it doesn't last that long. It saves so much money but I always find something to spend my extra $$$ on lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The $21 challenge book suggests you add an extra $7 for extra family members, something like that anyway

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ourbradybunch For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine  (11-11-2013)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I was just trying to point out that $21 wouldn't be feasible for a lot of families. So a 'challenge' to reduce weekly top up costs to $21 wasn't necessarily an even starting point.
    Yep, I'm with NB. For me $21 is such an absurd figure, it may as well be $11. Or $1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tatia&shura View Post
    You're over thinking it still.
    $21 for everyone it is then.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tatia&shura View Post
    You're over thinking it still.
    Lol, what does that even mean? "You're overthinking", "No you're underthinking".

Riiiiight

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep I loved the book.. which has pretty much been summed up in this thread. I borrowed it from the library to read rather than fork out at the book store

I love a good challenge... I love using everything from the back of the pantry and making meals from nothing... Unfortunately all dh does is whinge and request junk food or not eat :thumbdown:

He is getting much better at sucking it up though, and doesnt ask me very often anymore... he is much more appreciative. So might have to try it again (next week!!)

I used to do our full food shop for MAX $100-$120 fortnight because we just didn't have any more than that!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I was just trying to point out that $21 wouldn't be feasible for a lot of families. So a 'challenge' to reduce weekly top up costs to $21 wasn't necessarily an even starting point.

Everyone who wants to participate probably needs to work out their own base costs and then challenge costs. Your challenge cost is $3 a day. Mine would probably be $10 a day.

So I'm not in on a $21 a week challenge. I can't imagine I'm alone in that. On that basis I thought it might be more inclusive to broaden the 'challenge' to a serving or daily cost.

Again, my apologies for misunderstanding.
    I actually think the lady who does this as a full in blog based it on two adults and two children. So I'd guess you'd add to $21 if you had more. If that helps you gauge it any better. It's more a 'try stay out of the shops for a week challenge'. It's bit supposed to be a way of shopping normally but a once off. It's also not supposed to cater for what you'd spend in fruit & veg or even to be really healthy. It's a challenge to try use what you have with minimal top up.

I was actually forced to do this one time when our town was cut off due to flooding we had no choice as our shops completely sold out of fruit, veg, meat, eggs, milk & bread. It was quite a challenge.

This time I'm just choosing to try save a bit if dish for 1 maybe 2 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How about the people who are opposed to it or don't want to do it just don't pop into the thread??

I'm a bit disappointed that something that I didn't ask for opinions on has become that. I know it's an open forum but c'mon!! Let's have a thread without tension please.

If I don't want to participate in a weight loss challenge because it doesn't suit my lifestyle or i think it's not doable I certainly wouldn't go in posting questioning comments to the other participants.

If it's not for you that's cool - no pressure to join in. But please don't derail this positive thread unnecessarily.

10. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (10-11-2013),Ashram  (11-11-2013),atomicmama  (11-11-2013),baikirashero  (11-11-2013),bunkx  (10-11-2013),callmedragon22  (10-11-2013),Cue  (11-11-2013),dee1  (12-11-2013),HarvestMoon  (10-11-2013),Jenga  (11-11-2013),JR03  (10-11-2013),pooks  (11-11-2013),rainbow brite  (11-11-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-11-2013),sunnyflower  (10-11-2013),tatia&shura  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My issue at home is I cook with recipes, or have in mind what I want to cook for dinner (lunches and breakfasts are ok). So I buy what I want for the night.

I am absolutely HOPELESS at just "throwing together a meal". My friends are usually so good at it and they shop for food thinking of things to make later, wheras I plan the meals for the week and buy whatever is needed for them. I'd imagine if I had to make do with what I have at home I would have a grilled protein with plain steamed veges every single night. So non-creative.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    $21 is impossible for us - if we want to stick to our way of eating ( organic meat/chicken/eggs and seafood 3 times a week) and fresh fruit and veg ( some organic) I'm not one for freezing stuff or frozen food so my freezer is hardly used and I have lots if pantry stuff ( oils/flour /rice/baking stuff ect) but not sauces or canned stuff , I used to waste a lot more food but now with the dog there is not much left ! I do need to cut down but find it hard of what to cut !