+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Well hang on. Why not $21 for two weeks given you don't have your kids half the week?

I get the sentiment. I really do. I adopt a v similar approach to shopping - stocking up on pantry ingredients and daily shopping for fresh ingredients.

But $21 a week when there's only one person being fed three nights a week is very different to $21 a week when there is two adults and two children needing food seven nights a week.
    Well of course it's different!! As I said I'll see how I go I'll aim for that - although it's not really half a week considering I still do their days lunches etc. on the days they leave to go to his care so he just does dinner ... But yep!! I'm determined to give it a go

You may have missed the point of this thread ... It's not to compare household numbers etc. It's to cut a grocery bill you would normally have.... Not to compete with each other. It's really more a 'use up what you have' type challenge - no one is going to keep score or hold any one accountable.
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 10-11-2013 at 17:58.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (10-11-2013),HarvestMoon  (10-11-2013),PomPoms  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe a better way to calculate is a per serving cost?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dragon View Post
    I did this 2 weeks ago. I used up what i could in the pantry and fridge and only spend $60 for one week.
    Usually it costs us $230 a week for a family of 6.
    Wowsa!!! That's awesome!!! Well done - what a saving

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe a better way to calculate is a per serving cost?
    Hmmmm that's not gonna happen here!! There's no way I'm going to calculate the cost per serving of what we eat. Honestly people are going to start will fuller pantries and also more empty ones... I'm not sure why you are so concerned with what others are doing. It's just a fun little challenge - you can opt out if you'd like

If a family is struggling on $21 well of course they shouldn't starve!!! Just like if you could go another week without another shop well ... Why not??

Lets not over think it.
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 10-11-2013 at 18:00.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (11-11-2013),HarvestMoon  (10-11-2013),Jenga  (11-11-2013),PomPoms  (10-11-2013),tatia&shura  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You wouldn,t do it every week but after say 2 months of normal weekly food shopping you would generally have an array of excess foods

The idea is that every now and then you can save a hundred dollars or more every 2 months by using up your excess food from fridge and pantry.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Dragon For This Useful Post:

pooks  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Hmmmm that's not gonna happen here!! There's no way I'm going to calculate the cost per serving of what we eat. Honestly people are going to start will fuller pantries and also more empty ones... I'm not sure why you are so concerned with what others are doing. It's just a fun little challenge - you can opt out if you'd like

If a family is struggling on $21 well of course they shouldn't starve!!! Just like if you could go another week without another shop well ... Why not??

Lets not over think it.
    Wow.

Let's definitely not over think it.

Just not everyone is going to be able to do $21.

A per serving figure seems a more even way of determining reduced costs but I apologise for upsetting your apple cart.

Proceed as planned.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (10-11-2013),Lauzy  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I will give it a go. Just had a christening at my house and so much left over food. Also got given fresh fish on Friday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow.

Let's definitely not over think it.

Just not everyone is going to be able to do $21.

A per serving figure seems a more even way of determining reduced costs but I apologise for upsetting your apple cart.

Proceed as planned.
    You haven't upset me at all (and due to my braces there's not even an apple in sight.. Ha)

It just seemed that you were questioning in most responses. There wasn't a lot of thought behind it - just a 'hey guys I'm going to try this .. Who wants to join me?'

Seems like a few are keen so I will proceed as planned ... Annnddd perhaps a little longer. Wouldn't mind the extra savings if personally I can stretch it two weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually have a book on this!!

I just saw this so will sub for next week.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

Theboys&me  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    I actually have a book on this!!

I just saw this so will sub for next week.
    Ohhhh what's the book say???