+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    potato and leek soup

cut up the leeks and lightly cook in butter in a big pot, but don't let them get brown. Once soft, pour in about 1-2L of water. Chop up 4-5 large potatoes in small cubes and throw into the water with leeks. Crumble in 3 or so chicken stock cubes. Cook until potatoes are soft. Pour all of it into a food processor, including the left over water and blend until really smooth. Add a tub of cream and stir.

That feeds 4 people X 2 nights here.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Some great ideas there, thanks!

I actually have some quinoa I wanted to use up as part of the challenge. Do you have the recipe for that TB&M?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    Some great ideas there, thanks!

I actually have some quinoa I wanted to use up as part of the challenge. Do you have the recipe for that TB&M?
    Well as usual I don't have a recipe - but I just cooked leek, mushrooms & peas in a large saucepan then once that was cooked added quinoa with just under a litre of stock (I used chicken powder stock). Just put in enough to cover your veg and quinoa. Let it cook the quinoa completely (it should absorb the liquid). Once it was cooked I grated in a big of parmesan cheese.

Just use whatever veg you have on hand and replace the cheese with whatever you have. You could even pop some fresh herbs in if you have any?? (I chucked a bit of thyme in mine).

Sorry I don't have exact measurements. I always just throw things together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I could do it but then it woulld be a bigger shop the next week.

With 6 mouths to feed It is a challenge to do i main meal for under $15

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    I could do it but then it woulld be a bigger shop the next week.

With 6 mouths to feed It is a challenge to do i main meal for under $15

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art
    What sort of things do you eat?? I've only got a family of 3 but I always have a whole extra night of leftovers which I guess would equate to just one night for you. I'm happy to help you come up with some meals for under $15 if you'd like??
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 11-11-2013 at 19:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have at least half our meals for a family of 7 for under $10- takes planning and careful shopping though. That's 2 adults a 9, 6, 3.5, 2.5 and nearly 1 year old eating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sure, Ill accept help, bolognaise I can do cheap. About $7 for mince, $1.50 for pasta, $2.50 for sauce $3 for cheese by the time all have cheese.

I have ages as follows, 2, 3.5, 5, 18 and then wife and I

Things with meat are the biggest killer and I live in an isolated country town of about 800 with one IGA that is slightly over priced

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Gosh TB&M, you and your kids are such teeny tiny eaters, no wonder you can shop for so little money!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Gosh TB&M, you and your kids are such teeny tiny eaters, no wonder you can shop for so little money!
    Ha .... I must admit my portion sizes have definitely changed from when I was 25kg heavier and a size 16.

My dinner tonight though was a full dessert bowl - that's a pretty hefty size for a meal. Back in the day I wouldn't put it passed me to go back for seconds ... I was terribly gluttonous. A block of chocolate wouldn't have had a chance at surviving more than a night :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    Sure, Ill accept help, bolognaise I can do cheap. About $7 for mince, $1.50 for pasta, $2.50 for sauce $3 for cheese by the time all have cheese.

I have ages as follows, 2, 3.5, 5, 18 and then wife and I

Things with meat are the biggest killer and I live in an isolated country town of about 800 with one IGA that is slightly over priced

Dave The Turning Cowboy

turning wood into art
    Have you got any pasture to plate programs around?