+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default $21 challenge

I'm going to give it a go this week. $21 only for my weekly shopping - using up things I have in my pantry/fridge/freezer.

Anyone else want to give it a go with me??

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Juzz  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think the trickiest bit will be that I'm eating different meals to my boys still as I'm not on completely solid food yet. But I'll write out a list of our meals and see what I can do!! It also probably won't be quite as healthy as we usually eat but I've overspent a bit on extra things (like a girls weekend away in Jan I just paid for) so I'm going try try build up a bit of a spending buffer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sure, I'll give it a try. I usually shop on Friday so I'll do it until then.

I didn't do a big shop last Friday as I had already decided to do an 'eat down the freezer/pantry' week anyway.

I love a challenge. Luckily I have lots of freezer stuff!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Theboys&me  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I'd like to try this. I broke my hand and looks like I won't be allowed to work for the next 6 weeks. I'm only a casual so things will be tight.
    I think I would have enough pantry food to make it work.
    Are there any rules you are meant to follow or just adhere to the $21 food money for the week?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Theboys&me  (10-11-2013)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing would love to do this closer to Christmas so I can use the extra $$$ towards present

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bunkx For This Useful Post:

Theboys&me  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Alright, so dinner tonight will be scrambled eggs on toast with tomato, onion and parsley for kids, and DH & I will have leftover Thai fish curry from freezer. (kids often have a lazy tea on Sun nights)

Breakfast tomorrow will be porridge and lunch will be some of the savoury muffins I made Friday which I froze in individual portions (it made a huge batch luckily.)

I am going to need to buy fruit and milk. We drink raw milk at $8/2L so that is going to be tricky!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Theboys&me  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I'd like to try this. I broke my hand and looks like I won't be allowed to work for the next 6 weeks. I'm only a casual so things will be tight.
    I think I would have enough pantry food to make it work.
    Are there any rules you are meant to follow or just adhere to the $21 food money for the week?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    It's pretty much just that you can spend $21 on food for the entire week. You can use anything from your fridge/cupboard/pantry. I usually go shopping on a Sunday/Monday so I thought I'd give it a go.

Anything like washing powder/toiletries/nappies are in addition. I actually think I'm all stocked up in that department anyway for the week so I'd only be food shopping anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    Alright, so dinner tonight will be scrambled eggs on toast with tomato, onion and parsley for kids, and DH & I will have leftover Thai fish curry from freezer. (kids often have a lazy tea on Sun nights)

Breakfast tomorrow will be porridge and lunch will be some of the savoury muffins I made Friday which I froze in individual portions (it made a huge batch luckily.)

I am going to need to buy fruit and milk. We drink raw milk at $8/2L so that is going to be tricky!
    Awesome!!!! Eeekkk that milk will make it a bit harder. I'm going to buy eggs and I always buy free range so I'm going to stick with it which means a few more $$.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same as harvestmoon... How does it work? Do u only top up on $21? I do a proper shop once a fortnight and just did it on Thursday so would I only top up what I need?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app