+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Lily View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked but for those that dont do Santa what do you say if they see him getting photos done in the shopping centres? No judgement Im just really curious
    But does anyone ever actually pretend that guy is the *real* Santa? We've always admitted he was a dude in a suit; given they see two or three different Santas in some shopping centres I'm not sure how we could convince them they were all the real deal! And some of those suits and beards are less than convincing :/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We do Santa because its the most awesome misinformation/lies I was ever told. So much fun.

Kids figure it out, life goes on. But there is nothing more wonderful then being a child waiting for Santa to come. So awesome.

I want my kids to understand that not everything in life is 100% accurate. Some of its really good, a lot of it is bad. I want them to worry about the bad stuff, and be well informed. I also want them to enjoy life and not take it too seriously all the time.

Christmas is awesome fun.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (10-11-2013),delirium  (11-11-2013),JungleMum  (11-11-2013),lambjam  (11-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (10-11-2013),Purple Lily  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Kids figure it out, life goes on. But there is nothing more wonderful then being a child waiting for Santa to come. So awesome.
    I totally agree with this sentiment. I remember as a child the excitement and mystery of Christmas. I just loved it. My memories of this time are happy ones. One Christmas Eve we heard bells outside and was convinced it was the sleigh. Of course I later found out years down the track it was my uncle jingling bells outside our window but I didn't care...the memory was beautiful.

We do our heads in with all this politically correct stuff and worry about things that don't really matter. I'm grateful to my parents for having the attitude that SSP has. I hope I can pass the same onto my kids.
    Last edited by Caviar; 10-11-2013 at 23:01.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    We do Santa because its such a fun, wonderful part of being a kid! There is enough crap in the world without cutting out Santa.
    Exactly this!

Why not get wrapped up in all the hype of it?! It's such a special, fun and exciting time and kids love it!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPrint For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    That it's just a man, dressed up in a suit, pretending to be santa so children can have a photo of them with santa.

My children know it's just a random man in a suit, but they know that other kids probably think it's the real santa, or as my Mum told me, one of santa's helpers.
    Sorry if I'm misunderstanding but if your kids know the shopping centre santas aren't the 'real Santa' do you mean they do actually believe in Santa?

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We do Santa because Santa is awesome. But I am teaching my kids that Santa doesn't come to all children, only those that want him to. So we talk about how other children have other celebrations like Eid and Diwali, and Santa's not part of those celebrations. And that some kid still have Christmas but Santa doesn't come to their house because their mums and dads just get all their presents. We are starting a bit of a tradition of going to the shopping centre to see Santa (yes my DS thinks that's the real Santa!) because you need to tell him that you want him to come, and tell him what you'd like (there's no guarantees you'll get what you ask for though)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No santa here, or christmas really, we do informal christmassy stuff with relatives who are keen on it but our family celebrations are based around the seasonal - solstice, longest day of the year. Same diff really, lots of food, bit of booze, relaxed day and fun. Santa doesn't visit, we give gifts to each other to show appreciation and love and all that shiz. Actually with eldest child only 2, Santa hasn't even been mentioned or noticed. I don't think the kids will mind or be deprived, and I'm no good at fibbing to them/making things up so this way is better for us as parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    We don't DO Santa - but we enjoy xmas

If the kids want to write a letter to Santa and his reindeers - I let them...I just don't sign gift tags with 'his' name.
    Our 'Giftmas tree' is a wall decal, - the year before that I cut a branch off of the massive Banksia tree next door and stuck it in a pot!

I don't tell them that he 'isn't real' - I ask them what they think, when the question arises, and listen to their answers, and help them research the stories from various parts of the world.
    I won't be telling them "not to spoil it for others" - I'll allow them to have conversations of their own, with their own thoughts.
    The same goes for the Nativity story.

Our celebrations are just a joyful
    I love this train of thought... thanks for sharing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've read some, but not all, responses so far.
    DD will be 15 months this Christmas so not really an issue. We haven't decided what to do yet.

Ideally I'd like to have incorporate the idea into our celebrations somehow, but not have it too overdone. I'd also like to answer questions of "how does Santa get in? Is Santa real" etc. with "Well what do you think? That could be it. Some people believe..." etc.

It might take a bit of thought though to figure out what we're happy with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The lead up to Christmas was so exciting as a child. I can still remember being so excited on Christmas eve that I would go to bed straight after dinner, but not be able to fall asleep til silly o'clock. As we got older and found out Santa wasn't real, we appreciated the effort my parents went to. We all still have a present from Santa under the tree Christmas morning
    It's now heart warming watching the next generation go through that same excitement that we did.

That's why we do Santa.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

KillerHeels  (11-11-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-11-2013)