+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We do Santa because it's Christmas, a season for giving gifts, Santa Claus, wishing, dreaming, stars, decorating trees, Christmas lights, and the end of the year festivities. So what if it's a religious ceremony, I'm not religious and am n atheist, but celebrating Christmas has never been about religion for me nd is much more about saying goodbye to the year that was, and hello to the new year, bring ith loved ones and eating, drinking and giving. Family and children, all that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    we do Santa because it is magical and fun

However, we do it a bit different in the fact that Santa doesn't leave the most expensive stuff...Santa fills up the stockings and leaves 1 "good present" for each of us. Ds knows that Santa is super busy making sure all the kids in the world get presents so that he doesn't give kids super expensive stuff.
    Same!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For those who don't do santa, how do you stop your kid ruining it for everybody else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do it because its a fun part of being a kid IMO. I enjoyed it as a child and still love the magic of Christmas. It's so fun to do christmas with kids.

For the people who don't do it, do your kids spill the beans with other kids?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol, just realised I repeated a question! Whoops.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post
    For those who don't do santa, how do you stop your kid ruining it for everybody else?
    We don't do santa. We told our kids that it is a game that other people enjoy playing and they must not ruin their game by saying that santa isn't real. Seems to have worked fine so far. DD1 took us so seriously that she went around asking all her friends what santa was getting them when she was 3. It was pretty cute.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We don't include Santa in the sense that we pretend he is a real person. Why? Because I just didn't want to. Too many conflicts within my beliefs surrounding parenting.

But that does not mean that xmas isn't a magical experience for my children. They find xmas to be the bestest day ever, full of surprises and awesomeness, despite the fact that they know santa isn't real. He is still included as part of the celebrations, the same way the tree, decorations, stories and traditions are - they just don't that he isn't real, doesn't come down our chimney, and doesn't give them presents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post
    They don't do it, because I teach my children respect for others. It's that simple in our house.

They know, that all of their friends, and all of their cousins, and in fact, most children, believe that he is real, and that is absolutely okay, we are all different, and we all have different beliefs. Just like religion, that some people believe in a different gods and deity's, whereas their Dad and I don't believe in those things, and that's okay.

We stress to them, that they must respect the choices and decisions of others, and that no.matter.what they are not to tell any other people that santa isn't real, because that is disrespectful towards others and it is mean. We teach them, that if others talk about santa, and what he might be bringing to them, that they are allowed to say that they don't believe in santa, but they must not say he isn't real.

So far, we have had no issues with any of the children saying anything about santa to anyone, it has simply never come up in conversations. They participate in the school stuff, and no one has questioned them about anything santa related.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well said Lillynix, I agree with both of your posts and have found the same thing.

For what it's worth I grew up without Santa and I could not have possibly been even a tiny bit more excited about Christmas! It is entirely possible to have a special Christmas without santa

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (10-11-2013)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We do Santa. Why? Because it's fun.

As soon as they ask if he's real we tell the truth. No lies. The whole thing is shrouded in a fair bit of mystery, lots of "well how do you think it works?" about it. We don't say Santa ate the cookie they left out, the crumbs speak for themselves. All that jazz