+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I do Santa because it is one of the happiest memories I have of my childhood, I get more excited than DD about it! DD doesn't have any brothers or sisters, and Christmas day is spent with adults so I like her to have some fun kid stuff as part of the day. She's actually not that fussed about Santa though - as long as there is a pile of presents and a heap of food she's pretty happy lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    we do Santa because it is magical and fun

However, we do it a bit different in the fact that Santa doesn't leave the most expensive stuff...Santa fills up the stockings and leaves 1 "good present" for each of us. Ds knows that Santa is super busy making sure all the kids in the world get presents so that he doesn't give kids super expensive stuff. He is 9 and has never questioned it...when he hears of other kids getting expensive stuff he just assumes it is from family. He also knows Santa does different things in different families...just like the tooth fairy and Easter bunny. He is not very materialistic though and so far (touch wood) he has always been incredibly greatful for what he receives.

He writes out a list each year and knows he will get SOME of the things on his list. He also knows that Santa can see what everyone else is getting him so doesn't double up...so if I am getting it for him, he knows that Santa can see that and if he happened to have one in his bag, he would give it to another family

We also do the wishing tree each year, again, this helps Santa by helping mums and dads with less money make sure that they can give their kids something special.

It's all about how you explain it...we always refer to Santa helping to keep the magic of Christmas alive...when he is old enough, he will become one of Santa's helpers and help keep that magic alive for DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerHeels View Post
    I don't think it's about not being straight up with children I think its more about allowing them to enjoy and be part of something magical. Christmas in my house was always magical when I was growing up and we are doing the same for our kids, our son is only 2 and already sooo excited about Christmas its lovely to see. They are grown up for a long time give them magical memories

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Same here

I don't think Santa has to be as commercial as some people view it, just don't go totally over the top spending $1000s or anything. Santa could give one present and if that's what your kids grown up with that's what they will appreciate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    we do Santa because it is magical and fun

However, we do it a bit different in the fact that Santa doesn't leave the most expensive stuff...Santa fills up the stockings and leaves 1 "good present" for each of us. Ds knows that Santa is super busy making sure all the kids in the world get presents so that he doesn't give kids super expensive stuff. He is 9 and has never questioned it...when he hears of other kids getting expensive stuff he just assumes it is from family. He also knows Santa does different things in different families...just like the tooth fairy and Easter bunny. He is not very materialistic though and so far (touch wood) he has always been incredibly greatful for what he receives.

He writes out a list each year and knows he will get SOME of the things on his list. He also knows that Santa can see what everyone else is getting him so doesn't double up...so if I am getting it for him, he knows that Santa can see that and if he happened to have one in his bag, he would give it to another family

We also do the wishing tree each year, again, this helps Santa by helping mums and dads with less money make sure that they can give their kids something special.

It's all about how you explain it...we always refer to Santa helping to keep the magic of Christmas alive...when he is old enough, he will become one of Santa's helpers and help keep that magic alive for DD.
    You said all of that beautifully

Thanks
    Reviews
    Santa brings a small gift in this house, I think it's a lovely tradition We're non religious so making a big deal of Santa is a way to make Christmas a bit different from birthdays etc. We celebrate religious holidays because I love having set days to appreciate our family time and do something special

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't do Santa.

* I grew up in a large and fairly poor family and wondered why Santa was so unfair. My friends got stereos and bikes and we got pyjamas and books.

* We think Christmas is about Jesus' birthday. He too was poor and not into materialism. We usually have one large present for the kids/family to share instead if individual ones.

* I don't like the whole web of deceit we have to practice when smart kids ask "Santa" Qs - it gets bigger than Ben Hur. I hope that I'm truthful with my kids.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We do santa because the magical excitement it brings my kids cant be matched any other time of year. They wont believe in him forever so i want to savour and enjoy it and not take it away from them.

Santa doesnt bring the best present in this house tho. Mummy and daddy get credit for giving the biggest present. My boys always ask santa for a surprise so theres no giant expectation and then a disappointment if its not possible

Mumma to two beautiful boys on the spectrum and one special little girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    Santa doesn't bring loads though... Something I want, something I need, something to wear, something to read is what we will be following.
    e!
    Ive been trying to remember this! You posted it last year and I love it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do Santa. It was the most magical part of my childhood and can't wait for DS to experience it too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think this is my last year with Santa but even still Santa in our house gives the kids a gift each ( generally all the same) and 1 group gift the rest is from us.. NOw the kids are older im sad that I didn't embrace it a bit more but they understand and always leave a gift for Santa ( as well as milk and cookies) because its not fair that he gives all the presents and gets none himself so I truly believe as exciting santa is they have got the whole giving not receiving and family message about Christmas as well..