+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tell me why you do or don't do Santa?

DD will only be 16 months this Christmas so we probably won't do anything regardless, but I feel quite torn on whether or not to do Santa. I'm an only child with a Mum who wasn't hugely enthusiastic so Santa was never a very exciting thing for me.

DP isn't into it at all but I know if I want to do it he'll get on board. On one hand I like the idea of always being straight up with my kids and not supporting the commercial hysteria that Santa has become, but on the other hand I think kids grow up so fast these days that it's lovely to embrace their belief in and the fun of fairyland and make-believe for as long as possible!

So please tell me what you love or hate about Santa

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am torn as well. I was never brought up to believe in santa but it never harmed my imagination. I still believed in unicorns and fairies for quite some time. That being said the SS's have always had santa. I like the make believe and the excitement. I don't however like that santa gets all the credit for all the good expensive stuff leaving the boys to wonder why we continually rip them off at Christmas. (they are 9 & 7 and due to being spoilt rotten have become very materialistic). We often get "is that all?" from them after giving them our stuff and I don't want that for DD.

Plus, santa being a magical being, he shouldn't have poor days so how do we explain it to DD if we do? So yeah, very torn.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't want to do Santa, but then xmas came around and he was everywhere. Tbh it will really be a challenge to not do Santa. I'm still not a big fan of Santa but I think if u explain the real meaning of xmas and don't go too over the too with Santa ull be right. My kids each get one pressie from Santa (usually wat they ask Santa for) then the rest of the pressies come from DH And i.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We do santa because it's a magical part of childhood. Just like my kids believe in fairies, mermaids and superheros.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (10-11-2013),3bubbys  (10-11-2013),Amiedoll  (10-11-2013),BbBbBh  (11-11-2013),Bebedayz  (11-11-2013),Bulbasaur  (10-11-2013),cantwait1  (11-11-2013),CassJ  (10-11-2013),Ellewood  (10-11-2013),Jakois  (10-11-2013),JR03  (10-11-2013),KillerHeels  (10-11-2013),Laydeebugxxx  (11-11-2013),LouLaa  (18-11-2013),melimum  (10-11-2013),Mod-Zeddie  (10-11-2013),MrsBid  (10-11-2013),MrsSS  (10-11-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (10-11-2013),River Song  (10-11-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-11-2013),Star81  (10-11-2013),~BEXTER~  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it's about not being straight up with children I think its more about allowing them to enjoy and be part of something magical. Christmas in my house was always magical when I was growing up and we are doing the same for our kids, our son is only 2 and already sooo excited about Christmas its lovely to see. They are grown up for a long time give them magical memories

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KillerHeels For This Useful Post:

CassJ  (10-11-2013),JoJoTi  (10-11-2013),JungleMum  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We do Santa for Dsd and I intend to do it with our daughter once she is old enough to understand Christmas.

I was brought up believing in Santa and have the best memories, my parents always went to a lot of effort to make it special and believable and to this day as an adult I really appreciate it. We try and do the same for Dsd because of how excited she is by it all.

I don't think there is anything wrong with not going along with it though. I just personally don't see the harm in it.

I can't wait to do it for my own daughter when she is old enough

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is almost 3 and finally is understanding about Santa! im soooo excited!
    The previous years, we didnt bother making a big deal. She got some presents from "santa" but she just really had no idea and actually became a little overwhelmed by it all.
    DS will be 12mths and he wont have any idea but we will focus on DD this year and make it really exciting and special for her.
    She is recognising santa, she understands he brings presents only to "good girls and boys" we wont bother with "elves" as i think thats too confusing at this point.
    We will get to explaining santa has helper elves and they make sure you are being good, Reinder's on a sleigh, lives in the north pole....blah blah....but ATM we are just doing the basics.
    She has told me what she would like santa to bring her, and this is a wonderful incentive for "good behaviour" lol

When she is older, we will teach her the 'real meaning' of christmas - the birth of Jesus, a celebration.

I love Santa for the excitement and magic "he" brings to little kids. The build up of it all, the christmas spirit, family being together, a beautiful xmas lunch...i love it all.

i have wonderful memorie of santa as a child. i believed in him for ages! i found out at school he was "make believe" along with the easter bunny, tooth fairy.... but by then i was old enough for mum to tell me "now you're in on the secret, you need to help me, we must not let little children know so they can keep enjoying the magic of SANTA just like i got to..."
    I wont ever tell my kids that santa is make believe, unless they ask me. I will tell them what my mum told me.
    Last edited by Beefie; 10-11-2013 at 14:13.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beefie For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (10-11-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We do santa.

We have no religious ties, nor do our families so theres no conflict of interest in belief etc.

Im not sure about df as his childhood was spent in homes/fostercare and he had very little to do with his family, he actually hated christmas when we got together.
    But in my family it's a reason to all coke together and enjoy time together, it's always been a big deal (and df actually looks forward to it and our small traditions) do we have naturally just followed suite.

As pp said, it's just a magical part of childhood. So magical in fact, my little brother was sat down by mum before starting highschool to explain because he still honestly believed. He was so upset...that he was lied too!...but now understand why and says it was the best thing about growing up. He is now 24.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love Santa! My DS will be 19 months and we will definitely be doing Santa - it's such a wonderful and magical part of Christmas! We did it last year for him and will do it for many years to come (mum did it for us kids while she still had any of us at home - she only stopped when my 25 yr old sister moved out!). Santa brings lots of little presents - books, lollies, underwear, small toys etc and all the big presents are from parents and family.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We do Santa because I love it. I think dh would be happy to not make any big deal out of Christmas but I have so many happy memories of waking up on Christmas morning etc etc, I want that for the girls as well. We're not religious and don't really have a close family so I fill that space with Christmas traditions including Santa. It's really the only time they get any big presents and I don't care about Santa talking the credit. He's a nice man, he deserves some recognition lol

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (10-11-2013)