+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Just tested pregnant with home test - scared of cancer

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to vent really, as I know no one can really tell me for sure.
    I have PCOS, and I also have a history of cancer (melanoma), but have been cancer free for 5 years. I also have health anxiety which started before the cancer. Usually it's fairly under control, but whenever I detect something not 'usual' I can freak out.

I have been trying to get pregnant for over a year, and had a few wonky periods and horribly cramping n the last 5 months that lead to me getting my ovaries scanned. I finally got my period about 2-3 weeks after that...
    And now I have a positive pregnancy test about 3 weeks after my next period would have been due.

Scan results just showed that I still had PCOS... of course.

I can't be happy about a positive result, as I am panicking that I am testing positive because I have gotten a reproductive cancer... I think this is somewhat conflated when I told my husband, and he said : " I'm not getting his hopes up until a doctor tells me". I guess that's rational, but it instantly put me down the path of what other things it could be.

I have occasional bouts of terrible anxiety, I don't know how I am going to sleep at all tonight. I will book an appointment with the docs tomorrow.

I just feel it's somewhat therapeutic to get this out. And maybe I am not the only one that loses the plot about this stuff..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have had the same thing before. I wasn't pregnant and got a positive so I stressed for ages that it was cancer. I got all the tests done and I was clear. Perhaps it was an early miscarriage for me. I can understand your stress considering your background. It isn't a nice feeling.

Having said that, the most obvious reason for you testing positive is that you are pregnant! I wish you all the best for the future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have health anxiety since my DS was born. It's terrible. I hope you are pregnant.

Mummy of Max 2 from donor eggs from my lovely sister.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a similar scare recently - I got positive test but we weren't trying and timing seemed so unlikely that I was sure must be false positive and then read ovarian cancer can cause. I went into meltdown. Totally convinced for days. Turns out I am pregnant - 100% 2 scans confirm. I don't know anything about pcos but that doesn't put you at risk of ovarian cancer right? But through my googling I think cysts can cause false positives, but if you are trying to get pregnant, periods are not that regular and you have a positive pregnancy test seems most likely thing is you are in fact pregnant :-)
    But I totally understand your anxiety and hesitance to feel excited. I had cancer 2 years ago and health anxiety before that - cancer messes with your head!! You can no longer trust that things will be ok because you know sometimes its not, cancer is not some vague concept it is real, it's happened to you once. At least that is how my mind works I see worst case first now it makes me irrational but I think it's understandable. But if your period is 3 weeks late, you are actually trying to get pregnant then pregnancy does seem the most likely, like 99% of women would have no idea that false positives can happen with cancer as pregnancy tests generally detect pregnancy!!
    I really hope you can see a doctor soon who can confirm the pregnancy - it's so awful to feel like you are now I know so well!!! Big hugs, please update when you see a doctor :-)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (09-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Keep testing and if the line gets darker it's pregnancy not cancer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (09-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, I too have had cancer and when my periods stopped I was too scared to go to the dr incase it was bad news, I turned out to be 19 weeks pregnant!! I now a have a beautiful boy that will be 4 tomorrow.I asked the dr about false positives and they are extremely unusual. So it's highly lightly that you are pregnant. Most false positives are due to early miscarriages. Keep us posted, I'm sue everything will be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pretty sure your pregnant.

My anxiety is terrible during pregnancy.

Stay away from google.

If not for your positive pregnancy test do you have any symptoms ( that aren't pregnancy related ) that would make you think you have cancer? If not please don't spend all weekend stressing.

Trust me 9 months drags on & on when you google & stress😄

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Keep testing and if the line gets darker it's pregnancy not cancer.
    Yes I did this and it really did help to ease my anxiety as the line got darker daily! Of course it might depend what stage you are - my first bpf was very faint but if your periods aren't regular line might already be very dark?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Yes I did this and it really did help to ease my anxiety as the line got darker daily! Of course it might depend what stage you are - my first bpf was very faint but if your periods aren't regular line might already be very dark?
    Post nightshift brain fry post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Oh you are so pregnant, congratulations!!! Stop stressing, and start wishing you had eaten more sushi and runny eggs in the lead up . Yay yay yay for the little bubba in your belly!!
    Oh sorry I got confused and thought you were OP. my bad.