+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Allergy Help

Hi - Sorry, silly question, but I think my DS might be allergic to citrus (he has come out in hives twice now after exposure). What do you do when you think they have an allergy - do I take him to the GP so they can confirm it somehow?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How old is he? Some babies come out in a rash after citrus because of the acidity. Was it confirmed hives or just a rash?
    Your GP will need to give you a referral to see a pediatric allergist who will then probably perform a prick test to confirm an allergy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks faroutbrusselsprout. He is 10 months. I wouldn't normaly give citrus that young - but first it was by accident (in a youghurt which I didn't realize was blood orange flavour!) and the second time he was given orange at daycare. It was DEFINATE hives where he has got the yoghurt/orange juice on his skin.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't quote me but unless there is a strong family history of anaphylaxis I don't think the test allergies earlier than 2 or 3. I thinks it's cause at that age they can be sensitive to a lot of things but not necessarily an allergy....

I would just avoid it and try it again in a year or so. If you do want it checked you need a referral to an allergy clinic - beware it can take months to get in so make allowances for that...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

Star Light  (09-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son had a reaction to peanut butter he came out in a red rash on his chin and hives, he was allergy tested and he is 15 months old and there is no history of any allergies in our families.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Angels4me For This Useful Post:

Star Light  (09-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh ok I stand corrected then :-) I chatted to my doc about it as I have allot if allergies and I wanted to check early by he said to wait till my kids are at least 2...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

Star Light  (09-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
    Hi - Sorry, silly question, but I think my DS might be allergic to citrus (he has come out in hives twice now after exposure). What do you do when you think they have an allergy - do I take him to the GP so they can confirm it somehow?
    My brother used to develop a rash after eating tomatoes, when he was a little one. Not an allergy, just irritation caused by the citric acid. An allergic reaction is when your immune system attacks a substance thinking it's a pathogen.

If in doubt, definitely take him to the GP. I know there are tests for allergies in children; my nephew is properly allergic to fish, & that was discovered through a battery of tests.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids broke out in red itchy rashes all around their mouths after eating citrus fruit when they were little but it was just from the acidity like pp said.

When they get an allergic reaction the hives are different. The closest I can describe it is those nasty red raised lumps you get on your skin when you come into contact with hairy caterpillars. The rash "moves" all over their skin not just the spot they come in contact with. They also get itchy throats and swollen eyes.