+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Baptism gift??

I am attending the catholic baptism of my friends baby boy this morning. I'm not a religious person so I am not sure on protocol, but am I supposed to take a gift?? I haven't stepped foot in a church since I was 8 or 9, and even then it was never a regular thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Usually yes - my SIL had my niece baptised last month and they are not religious at all or had any party/celebration afterwards so we didn't buy her anything , at my SIL request , but every other one I've been too I've bought gifts for ( price range depending on how close we are to them ranging from clothes to jewellery)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (09-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah this one is the service followed by morning tea at their place. I might duck down to the shops and get something this morning. Thank you

Pregalicious is offline "Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple."
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This was me, but for my neices baptism. I went along, listened and joined in and brought a gift. I think the key for me was to be respectful of what they were doing, but at the same time I didn't see the need for me to pray or anything. I simply bowed my head quietly with everyone else when they prayed.

(Mind you tho whole thing was a farce as neither of the parents or their families is religious at all...they simply wanted to have a christening for their baby!!! They stood in a church and swore before everybody to bring her to church and teach her about god with zero intention of doing so. It felt very wrong, and as I said I'm not religious at all. But we all had to play along with the minister so they didnt get found out!!! I avoided him completely and dodged it altogether. Sorry to stray off topic!)

Sent from my ZTE T82

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pregalicious For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (09-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If they haven't specified otherwise I would say yes. As you aren't religious perhaps find something spiritual. You don't need to spend a lot, just a token. A music box, a wall print, a family photo, a nice book that sends a nice message, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, you should buy a gift.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, I got a nice card and a little toy. Really wanted to get the book "Oh the places you'll go" by Dr Suess but they had sold out. Tempted to give our copy, of it wasn't so worn!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pregalicious View Post
    This was me, but for my neices baptism. I went along, listened and joined in and brought a gift. I think the key for me was to be respectful of what they were doing, but at the same time I didn't see the need for me to pray or anything. I simply bowed my head quietly with everyone else when they prayed.

(Mind you tho whole thing was a farce as neither of the parents or their families is religious at all...they simply wanted to have a christening for their baby!!! They stood in a church and swore before everybody to bring her to church and teach her about god with zero intention of doing so. It felt very wrong, and as I said I'm not religious at all. But we all had to play along with the minister so they didnt get found out!!! I avoided him completely and dodged it altogether. Sorry to stray off topic!)

Sent from my ZTE T82
    Thank you for your side, even if it is off topic this family is pretty much the only one I know who are regular church goers, but I will be feeling mighty awkward in the church!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I would get a card and gift price range $10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pregalicious View Post

Sent from my ZTE T82
    Thank you for your side, even if it is off topic this family is pretty much the only one I know who are regular church goers, but I will be feeling mighty awkward in the church!