+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For DS1s 2nd birthday he got a pink doll stroller and a doll. He loves pushing it around. Now DS2 can walk he is pushing it around aswell. I have no problems with this at all and neither does DH. DS1 enjoys copying me when I put my make up on (I give him a clean make up sponge and he rubs it on his face). DS1 also wore one of my pink headbands to the doctors (he had a meltdown when i took it off him).

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It would definitely be nice if we didn't have ideas about what's a "girls only" or "boys only" thing.

DD loves superheroes, particularly Batman (Catwoman and The Joker from Batman, mostly). She loves her Batman hoodie we got from Movieworld, but she won't wear it in public, because other kids tease that it's a boy's clothing item (and they're right... it was labelled as such).

Or... if they want to make a "girl version," they have to pinkify it. WHY?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD also loves superheroes, power rangers etc. We don't often hear "but that's for boys", but whenever we do we say "well DD's a girl and she's wearing/playing with it, so therefore it's for girls too!"

Mind you, my DD has an inordinate amount of self confidence and isn't phased by teasing. I know most kids would be more worried about that sort of reaction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    DD also loves superheroes, power rangers etc. We don't often hear "but that's for boys", but whenever we do we say "well DD's a girl and she's wearing/playing with it, so therefore it's for girls too!"

Mind you, my DD has an inordinate amount of self confidence and isn't phased by teasing. I know most kids would be more worried about that sort of reaction.
    That's largely because she has a mum who has instilled that in her which is great and that's exactly what I want for DS - for him to develop a strong sense of self and confidence from a young age and not led by the masses to confirm to stereotypical norms. If he turns out to a really *boyish* boy then I will know it's who he is as opposed to what he felt he should be

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Help me out ladies... Does your boy play with dolls/a stroller? Why or why not? Anyone know of any reputable studies on the issue?
    When I was a child I played with dolls all the time.

They looked like this:

d5403bf9a46ad58faec7594874c92abb.jpg

More recently, I spent hours playing with dolls at pre-natal classes, learning how to change and swaddle. (I don't think the midwife appreciated my undressing strategy of holding the doll upside down and shaking until it came out of the suit ).

Seriously, don't stress - and if your husband is worried, ask him what dolls he had as a child. It's fun to watch men try to split hairs when discussing the difference between 'girls' dolls (like My Little Pony) and 'boys' dolls (like G.I. Joe).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Role play is essential for children to help them understand their world and day to day occurances. Through acting out things using props such as dolls, prams, kitchens etc they are better able to process what is happening in their environment and achieve a greater understanding of it. What could be more relevant to a child than to role play families? They are part of one every day. Even more relevant since you said you are having a baby. It will help him to process and understand what it means to have a new baby and how he feels about it. Best of luck. Sorry I don't have any studies for you but this was stuff I learnt when I did the first half of my Diploma in Child Studies.

Nmgb is offline No relationship is all sunshine, but two people can share one umbrella and survive the storm ♡
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My brothers all had dolls and prams growing up. My daughter has cars, trucks and dinosaurs. Toys are toys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't see anything wrong with it. My youngest dd loves dinosaurs, hotwheel cars and her big yellow tonka truck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    gender toys.jpg

how to tell if a toy is for boys or girls

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

abibelsmum  (11-11-2013),beebs  (11-11-2013),BettyW  (11-11-2013),BornToBe  (11-11-2013),Lalasmooch  (20-11-2013),Laydeebugxxx  (11-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (11-11-2013),Renn  (20-11-2013),VicPark  (11-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds has a cabbage patch doll and stroller when he was 2. He chose both when we went toy shopping. Only hard thing was he didn't want pink and most are. He also had a play vacuum,ironing board and kitchen. He loved to play 'house' at Kindy with the other kids and at home.
    It's only natural for them to copy our behaviours and should be embraced.

Df never has played house to his knowledge but he now proudly pushes our very pink pram with our very pink baby dd around town.
    Thats really no different.. Let kids just be kids and not pigeonholed. They only learn 'that's a girls toy' because that's what ppl tell them.