+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Without reading any replies...

I think your son is likely to suffer more damage from having an attitude like that to live under (the "boys can't play with prams," BS) than having a pram.

Do fathers not ever partake in parenting their babies?

It's the same with cooking sets and whatnot... do men never become chefs? Do males not know how to use an oven? Etc etc.

Really... my brother played dolls with me. He's a d*ck, but he's not some girly-man homosexual... which, let's face it, is what these men (with attitudes like that) are worried about.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (10-11-2013),giggle berry  (08-11-2013),starla  (09-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I was actually shocked when I read that OP, I must admit I assumed in your house the conversation would have gone something more like this :

VicPark " don't you want him to have a stroller "

Mr VicPark " he's a boy "

VicPark " grow some balls and get your head out of your *** , it's not 1950 and our son can play with whatever he likes !"

Joking of course!

But yes I'm glad my DH is fine with DS having a toy kitchen , tea sets, and I bought him the Ken and Barbie from the Toy Story Movie last Xmas , I've also read that giving little boys the same opportunity as little girls to learn compassion and empathy through pretend play with dolls/ baby dolls is far better for their development than only encouraging them to play with metal, non reactive toy cars etc
    Perhaps being on BH has softened me up a bit?

The funny thing is DS has a toy kitchen and tea set (hand me downs) and after DS's bath hubby often says "can you go and make daddy a cup of tea please."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrassi View Post
    My DS has a nice quality baby doll & stroller.

He enjoys pushing the stroller around, minus the baby (or squeezing himself into it)!

He didn't show as much interest in the doll as I'd hoped.
    Hahaha my older 2 take turns being pushed around in the stroller. It cracks me up!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Without reading any replies...

I think your son is likely to suffer more damage from having an attitude like that to live under (the "boys can't play with prams," BS) than having a pram.

Do fathers not ever partake in parenting their babies?

It's the same with cooking sets and whatnot... do men never become chefs? Do males not know how to use an oven? Etc etc.

Really... my brother played dolls with me. He's a d*ck, but he's not some girly-man homosexual... which, let's face it, is what these men (with attitudes like that) are worried about.
    No idea about any studies but my DS has 2 'new born baby' dolls that belonged to my sister and I growing up.

We gave them to him as a way for him to learn about being gentle with babies. He adores them both. One is a boy and the other a girl. He is so gentle with them and brings them with him to shower and washes his baby while DH washes DS.

I agree with pp that caring for a 'baby' is simply just another task shared by men and women. I can't see that any harm could possibly come from that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Boys playing with dolls.. Ok?

Sorry @SassyMummy, didn't mean to quote you....not sure how I managed that...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (09-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    @peanutmonkey DS is going through the same thing. He loves everything purple (how happy was I to walk into Pumpkin Patch and find a whole range of purple stuff!!) And recently I bought him a purple lunch box. He got some very nasty comments from the other kids. DH ended up writing on it that it was an ender chest (minecraft reference) and they all thought it was cool then lol. But it's sad how these stereotypes are perpetuated.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (08-11-2013),VicPark  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Does he push your son in a pram?
    Me "If an adult male can push a pram, why can't a male child push one"

DH: "I concede that point"

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (09-11-2013),babyla  (09-11-2013),callmedragon22  (09-11-2013),Chunkydunks  (08-11-2013),harvs  (09-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    @peanutmonkey DS is going through the same thing. He loves everything purple (how happy was I to walk into Pumpkin Patch and find a whole range of purple stuff!!) And recently I bought him a purple lunch box. He got some very nasty comments from the other kids. DH ended up writing on it that it was an ender chest (minecraft reference) and they all thought it was cool then lol. But it's sad how these stereotypes are perpetuated.

That's horrible your boy was getting teased.. But how funny was your Dh's solution! -the kids don't realise they have been out-witted...

Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've had this convo so often with mums and dada while working in early childhood. I just think it's something built into a lot of men that they should be encouraging "boyish" things or that they feel it's easier for them to connect with their sons through "boyish things"
    DF was desperate for DS to ride a bike and was a bit shattered when preferred dramatic play. This was o ly because his childhood is filled with memories of bike riding and he wanted to share that with DS. They do now and DF is coming around with the dramatic play thing - helping me make a pretend kitchen for DS for Xmas.

DS has a few dolls and Teddies that he loves. One particular face went everywhere with us for 2.5years and it didn't bother DF in the slightest.

On a slight tangent - we just left grandparents house where DS spent the night dancing around in a bright pink tutu and countless beaded necklaces and bracelets! Let kids be kids I say

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Eco Goddess For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post

Oh wow I havent looked at the older kids section in pumpkin patch, I usually go straight to the baby stuff, guess where im going in the morning now!

It really really gets to me. My son is such a sweet, empathetic kind hearted little boy, I dont want him to lose his positive outlook and I refuse to let people crush him with their outdated ideas!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app