+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the best thing you can do for my child, is to expose thm to a wide variety of experiences and toys. That's why I hate the whole archaic concept if 'boys toys' versus 'girls toys'. Not because I think ALL children should like ALL toys, but because all children should be given access and opportunity I decide fir themselves what they do and don't like.

I bought DS some woodzeez and silvanian families stuff this Christmas as I think he'll love it, and he has so many 'boys toys' I want him to get more variety and be more open-minded as he grows.

Its a non-issue OP, I hope your husband comes to realise that.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

JoJoTi  (09-11-2013),Renn  (08-11-2013),VicPark  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DSS has always had his own dolls. What possible harm could there be??

VP, does your DH *have the balls* to push a pram? If so, then I don't see any validity to his argument. Nurturing children and pushing prams are not women's roles or men's roles- they are PARENT'S roles.

And the it could make him gay argument- think about it- how on earth would playing at nurturing a baby encourage same sex attraction?? Where is the correlation?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (08-11-2013),~Marigold~  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Me: "oh look there's a toy doll and stroller on special for $5 each in the Big W catalogue. That would be a great Christmas stocking stuffer"

Hubby: ... Confused look ..."for DS?"

Me: "yes he had fun playing with the stroller and dolly at Nana and Pa's. Dont you want him to have a stroller?"

Hubby: "He's a boy.."

Me: "if you're really worried I can do some research and quote some studies that its not damaging, then we can chat some more."

Hubby: "and I will look for some studies of my own.." (You don't want to know the rest of what was said!).

Help me out ladies... Does your boy play with dolls/a stroller? Why or why not? Anyone know of any reputable studies on the issue?
    I was actually shocked when I read that OP, I must admit I assumed in your house the conversation would have gone something more like this :

VicPark " don't you want him to have a stroller "

Mr VicPark " he's a boy "

VicPark " grow some balls and get your head out of your *** , it's not 1950 and our son can play with whatever he likes !"

Joking of course!

But yes I'm glad my DH is fine with DS having a toy kitchen , tea sets, and I bought him the Ken and Barbie from the Toy Story Movie last Xmas , I've also read that giving little boys the same opportunity as little girls to learn compassion and empathy through pretend play with dolls/ baby dolls is far better for their development than only encouraging them to play with metal, non reactive toy cars etc

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Funchu  (11-11-2013),harvs  (09-11-2013),VicPark  (08-11-2013),~Marigold~  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds1 has never been interested in dolls, but ds2 loves them and he's been pushing dolls prams around the house since he learnt to walk. He also likes having his nails painted when I do mine.
    But he also loves trucks and cars and anything with wheels.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to becca022 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    P.s DS is also into his trucks, cars, trains, planes, balls etc but he does play with his doll and if we go to his friends houses he will happily play in their little kitchens etc. plus I'm making him a kitchen for Christmas.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS used to love dolls and strollers. He'd be the daddy. He's more into superheros now but he will sometimes play. Nothing wrong with it. Dads look after babies all the time. My DH was a bit funny about it too. I told him not to be so stupid.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I got DS a pram and doll for christmas before DD was born. He has never shown any interest in the doll but loved the pram. He also has a pink play kitchen, loves to paint his toe nails and wore a fairy costume to the shops last week complete with wand.

We had some friends over a while ago and one of the little boys spent the whole time playing with the doll and pram, went nuts if anyone else went near it, absolutely loved it. I made a joke that they would be stopping at KMart on the way home...his Dad was really unimpressed, no son of mine will have a doll and pram. I thought that was terribly sad. How awful, he might grow up and want to be a...Dad?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Justwant2beamummy  (09-11-2013),VicPark  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I let my children be children and play with whatever they like.

Why are dolls and strollers just for girls Isn't he likely to be a father one day?

Also why are 'action figures' ok? They are dolls too.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    My DS2 wants a My Little Pony for xmas. So he'll get a my little pony for xmas. I couldn't care less if its marketed towards girls. Its just a toy.

I only have boys. We have a dollhouse (granted its a police/fire & rescue one), we have a toy kitchen (that is purple) and we have baby dolls, teddies, strollers. Who cares really. DS1 had one kid at school give him grief and call him gay because his favorite colour is purple so he has a purple drink bottle - they only picked on him once because he just said what I tell him - there is no such thing as girl and boys things, and that even if someobe is gay it doesnt mean there is something wrong with them.

Still makes me sad he had to go through that at 5 though.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (08-11-2013),VicPark  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DS has a nice quality baby doll & stroller.

He enjoys pushing the stroller around, minus the baby (or squeezing himself into it)!

He didn't show as much interest in the doll as I'd hoped.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (08-11-2013)