+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quick update: DS is loving his 'baby' and is always trying to feed baby his 'milk bottle.' He runs around the house with the stroller like a crazy boy. Hubby actively encourages DS to play with baby (it's a good distraction tactic for when DS looks like chucking a tanty over something else... Eg hubby will say "your baby is hungry, baby would like some milk." It's good prep for when baby nr 2 arrives!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (11-12-2013),babyla  (11-12-2013),Missabubble  (11-12-2013),NoteToSelf  (11-12-2013),peanutmonkey  (11-12-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS 3 plays with dolls sometimes at daycare. He washes them, puts them in the stroller and plays dolls with the daycare lady's granddaughter when she visits during playtime. I don't have a problem with it. I think it's great imaginary play. At home though he plays with cars, trains and all sorts of boy toys. Each to their own.

Before I forget, my DS was watching TV he other day and a TV advert came on for my little pony dolls and he said "is that for girls?" So already he is putting things into catergories.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Luminary; 11-12-2013 at 06:18.

Busy-Bee is online now Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarabelle View Post
    Yes I am for real. I'm flabbergasted that some of you seem to think that many boys prefer girls toys over what is typically marketed for boys, and vice versa. Sorry, it's just not so. Hasn't anyone noticed that men and women are different? Well so are boys and girls. As I said before, I don't care if a boy (or a girl) wants to play with a toy made for the opposite gender, I just don't think the majority play that way. Sure, I played armies and ran around with boys too when I was a kid, and that is natural normal play. But, I preferred girls toys, and so do my girls, and my boys prefer boys toys and activities. I have 5 kids, and have seen a lot over the last 14 years. I'm not criticizing anyone, I just don't think what some are trying to make a point over here, is valid. I spent a fair bit of observational time in kindergarten and prep too, and what some are saying here, just wasn't what I saw.
    My kids mustn't have seen that memo. My DS plays with dolls probably equally as his little sister. In fact I think he played with dolls more as a toddler/pre schooler than his little sister. He also insists on having at least 5 teddies in bed to cuddle every night. DD likes to play with the train set. She has a few dolls but not really interested in them. They have a play room with a toy kitchen and both love to play making food. DD also has a toy tool set and she likes to 'fix' things.

Men and woman are different, but so are men and other men and women and other women. We are not homogenous groups.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-12-2013),Bubbles10  (11-12-2013),Mathermy  (11-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Quick update: DS is loving his 'baby' and is always trying to feed baby his 'milk bottle.' He runs around the house with the stroller like a crazy boy. Hubby actively encourages DS to play with baby (it's a good distraction tactic for when DS looks like chucking a tanty over something else... Eg hubby will say "your baby is hungry, baby would like some milk." It's good prep for when baby nr 2 arrives!
    What?! He's not bf??

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (13-12-2013),Mokeybear  (13-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So because your 5 kids play with certain things then that must be the *normal* way? Sorry, but it is clear just by your post, that you push the gender stereotypes on your kids - even if you don't realise you are doing it.

My boys are as rough and tumble, ninja loving as much as the next, by my 2.5 year old still has twin babies dressed in pink in a pink stroller and he loves them, and takes care of them. And do you know why? Because no one has ever said for him "don't do that, that is for girls". That is all it is, that is the only thing that is different.

I preferred boys toys, tonka trucks, playing touch footy and soccer, and I hated dresses. And I turned out to be a jewellery loving makeup loving woman.

I am actually flabbergasted that you think you know more about this subject than anyone else in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarabelle View Post
    Yes I am for real. I'm flabbergasted that some of you seem to think that many boys prefer girls toys over what is typically marketed for boys, and vice versa. Sorry, it's just not so. Hasn't anyone noticed that men and women are different? Well so are boys and girls. As I said before, I don't care if a boy (or a girl) wants to play with a toy made for the opposite gender, I just don't think the majority play that way. Sure, I played armies and ran around with boys too when I was a kid, and that is natural normal play. But, I preferred girls toys, and so do my girls, and my boys prefer boys toys and activities. I have 5 kids, and have seen a lot over the last 14 years. I'm not criticizing anyone, I just don't think what some are trying to make a point over here, is valid. I spent a fair bit of observational time in kindergarten and prep too, and what some are saying here, just wasn't what I saw.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (11-12-2013),Mathermy  (11-12-2013),shelle65  (11-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My son is currently chewing on his sisters sock, I'm not sure what that means a apart from bad parenting on my part. I'm yet to buy him any gender specific toys but even at 5 months my inlaws already have! :/ which my daughter was very jealous of! She got a handbag, hair ties and stationery, he got a stuffed race horse and galaxy light..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ds plays with dolls and strollers and plays with cars, Lego etc. He is a sweet gentle little manqho can play with typically girly items and still be your usual rough and tumble little boy. Same goes for dd she plays with typical girly stuff but will play with boy based things also. Hell ds even dresses up with the dress up gear as a fairy and hes still a typical boys boy. It took abit of convincing with dh ill admit, he sounds quite like your partner vp. But now even dh doesn't have an issue with any of it.

I say let kids play with what they want, they are kids.

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yay for perpetuating gender stereotypes! Let's keep our boys playing only with construction toys and our girls only with dolls and toy kitchen utensils. This is definitely the way to move forward in a modern and open minded society...

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-12-2013),Bubbles10  (11-12-2013),misskittyfantastico  (11-12-2013),Tildy  (13-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So if my son plays equally with his baby & pram, as he does with his cars & trucks, does that mean he's bisexual? asexual? Oh the mind boggles....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Id say that by the time a child gets to kinder or prep that gender stereotypes are already present and that's a reason they choose gender marketed toys.
    There's an online campaign, I think on change.org that asks ToysRUs to stop gender-based marketing. Also came across a Fisher Price advert for rattles for babies- 'diamond ring rattle' for baby girls and ''hammer rattle' for baby boys. Absolutely shocking!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to loveshack For This Useful Post:

GluttonForPunishment  (17-12-2013)