+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our nephew likes pink but BIL is against it. His last birthday we bought him a metallic pink skateboard 😉

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lauzy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-11-2013),FrothyFrog  (23-11-2013),VanityFey  (10-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I can't see it. But even if it was a rainbowy pink unicorn with sparkles on it, who cares? DS3 wanted a pink rainbow unicorn pillow pet for his birthday, so he got one. He is 4 and he loves it, he also loves spiderman, being a ninja and trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Oh, the parents in shops... *sigh* I see it all the time. I SO want to yell at them (or, you know, calmly discuss the issue....) but of course I keep my nose out.

Was in Ikea just 2 days ago with my daughter, and a little boy about 18 months was looking at these little toy/doll goats. He picked up one to show his mum and she goes "oh no, that's a GIRL one! Here, here's a boy one!" and then took it with them. Said goat was one on the right:
    Attachment 46619
    I mean, really!? Why on earth would it matter if an 18 month old had a goat in a dress??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought my DS 21 months a pink doll stroller from Kmart for only $6 last months. He loves pushing his water bottle around in it. Best $6 I ever spent. And I've asked Nanna to make him a tutu for Christmas so he can play dress-ups. Some Dads need to man up and worry less about their sons' masculinity and more about what they can do to help turn their child grow into a caring adult.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mopeg For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    DS used to have a dolly stroller, barbies aka his girls and his hot pink barbie van. He would play with them all the time. Only in the last year, he has decided to donate to another little boy who would like his girls etc and gave them to the op shops. He would also take his little stroller everywhere(he would take his, i would take him and we would use them for groceries. Lots of weird looks but i didnt care. It did upset me a few times at first though with people esp high school kids who would call him gay etc.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jsma10 View Post
    such a narrow view on parenting both sexes ... such a shame as you are raising the next generation to think the same. My son adores his 'baby sister' - a pink kmart doll, he takes everywhere with him. The kids are being bought a tea set for christmas as he loves 'making mummy a cup of tea'. On the flip side, my daughter loves Thomas, my son's firetrucks and cars and is forever hooning down the hall with her brother, on a 'motorbike' yelling out neenaw neenaw (she's driving a firetruck). My husband is a chef and the kids will be super excited when they see they have a Kitchen on Christmas day.
    No, I don't have a narrow view, my second post on this topic explains more about why I said what I said. It doesn't bother me that your son likes a pink kmart doll, I just don't think that the majority of little boys do. It doesn't mean much at all. Just a passing fad, like an interest in spiderman one week, and ninjas the next.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarabelle View Post
    I'd get him one only if you're certain it's something he'd play with, and not because you are trying to make a point to hubby or others. I've noticed that most little boys aren't the slightest bit interested in toys typically played with by girls - using your example, a doll and stroller. They might give it a bit of a attention for a moment, or use it in a way that it's not meant to be used - a stroller might be pushed down the road with another kid in it (trying to think of an example). So, while I don't think there's anything wrong with it - I just think, generally speaking, boys like boy stuff and girls like girls stuff.
    Is this for realz? Speaking of my own childhood, I can tell you that I spent just as much time riding bikes and climbing trees, and using sling shots, playing army as I did with dolls.My daughter never played with dolls and she was given plenty of them. And much preferred outdoors stuff and reading and what some people called Tom boy activities, however I just view them as normal kid activities. My son likes all sorts of toys including dolls houses and lego etc. I am flabbergasted that in this day an age people really believe such gendered, bias sexist, harmful, nonsense.
    Last edited by sockstealingpoltergeist; 10-12-2013 at 16:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I see no issues with it whatsoever!! I know several little boys that happily play with a doll and stroller. Does that mean my dd cant play with her toy bus, or cars or her dinosaurs?

I asked dh what his thoughts were on this thread if we have a son and he said "no our son will not be playing with dolls hes a boy, not keen"

Then I said "are you going to stop him playing with dds toys? Is it that big of a deal"

Dh: "no but if thats all he was playing with I would show him some boys toys"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I am for real. I'm flabbergasted that some of you seem to think that many boys prefer girls toys over what is typically marketed for boys, and vice versa. Sorry, it's just not so. Hasn't anyone noticed that men and women are different? Well so are boys and girls. As I said before, I don't care if a boy (or a girl) wants to play with a toy made for the opposite gender, I just don't think the majority play that way. Sure, I played armies and ran around with boys too when I was a kid, and that is natural normal play. But, I preferred girls toys, and so do my girls, and my boys prefer boys toys and activities. I have 5 kids, and have seen a lot over the last 14 years. I'm not criticizing anyone, I just don't think what some are trying to make a point over here, is valid. I spent a fair bit of observational time in kindergarten and prep too, and what some are saying here, just wasn't what I saw.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clarabelle For This Useful Post:

Leahmaree  (11-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and by the way, answering the topic question of do I think it's ok...yes I do! But I don't think most little boys have an overwhelming urge to play with them. That's all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarabelle View Post
    Yes I am for real. I'm flabbergasted that some of you seem to think that many boys prefer girls toys over what is typically marketed for boys, and vice versa. Sorry, it's just not so. Hasn't anyone noticed that men and women are different? Well so are boys and girls. As I said before, I don't care if a boy (or a girl) wants to play with a toy made for the opposite gender, I just don't think the majority play that way. Sure, I played armies and ran around with boys too when I was a kid, and that is natural normal play. But, I preferred girls toys, and so do my girls, and my boys prefer boys toys and activities. I have 5 kids, and have seen a lot over the last 14 years. I'm not criticizing anyone, I just don't think what some are trying to make a point over here, is valid. I spent a fair bit of observational time in kindergarten and prep too, and what some are saying here, just wasn't what I saw.
    I get what you are saying. That in general boys gravitate towards boys toys and girls, girls toys. This is true.

But children playing with any toy is normal and ok

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Clarabelle  (11-12-2013)