+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Separation to divorce process?

So it looks like separation and divorce may be in my near future.

I'm devastated that my marriage has turned out the way it has, but I feel I need to prepare for what may be ahead.

I would love to know peoples experiences with separations to divorces- paperwork, emotions, court, kids etc.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry if this is in the wrong area, feel free to move if so mods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    bumping for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I seperated from my x-husband when my DS was 8 weeks old, 2009. I put through the paperwork for a divorce in 2010. Went to family court website and got the forms from there.
    So for my DS, he didn't know any different of his Dad not living with us.
    We moved to my parents and lived with them while I was on maternity leave.
    His father and I just worked out when he could meet up and see us. Basically for his first 13mths he saw his father with me there. Just made it easier for my son. Then once I moved back to go back to work we just worked out the weekend days per term when DS had his visit with his father. Worked out best for us both as his father worked some Saturdays and then had car events to go to and went to car swap meets and garage sales to sell stuff.
    His father moved to VIC in February 2012 so now it's Skype or phone calls and his father has visited 3 times since moved down there until now.

Single mummy to a wonderful DS (Born 11/12/2008)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Work out a patenting plan while you are on good terms and get him to sign it.

Things can change quickly, and the guy you thought would never do X, may end up doing the whole alphabet of ******* stuff.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (09-11-2013),Pesca77  (09-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going through this process at the moment
    We went through lawyers to get parenting orders done. This involved making consent orders which outlined all our financial separation, and additional documentation regarding custody arrangements. If you just go through the divorce, it becomes a 50/50 split of everything. But apparently if kids are involved, the courts like to know what is happening with kids.
    We have filed the consent orders with the court, then once they are through we can file for divorce

Get parenting orders done ASAP. My lawyer said to make them as specific as possible. She said that once you have written it, read it and make sure your ex can't screw you over with it. Pretend to be your ex and look for any loopholes in it that can be used to make your like hell, then change it. It really opened my eyes and I changed a tonne in my orders. Mine ended up being 14pages long they are so specific!

Also you have to be separated for a year before you can file for divorce

Another thing, if possible, get your ex to file all the paperwork. This means he has to pay for all the lodging fees etc. I also got my ex to get his lawyer to type up all the consent orders and then I just went over them myself and got my lawyer involved sparingly. Saved me a tonne of money! Laywer fees add up really quickly!

Hope this helps!