Closed Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry you are going through this. Ignore all the women being cows to you x

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (08-11-2013),CleverClogs  (08-11-2013),Elijahs Mum  (08-11-2013),jagamoe  (08-11-2013),Pregalicious  (08-11-2013),TimeForWine  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jagamoe View Post
    Thanks I've contacted them they can't take him ATM they don't have a foster home available for him. I called the ranger back & said I want to surrender him they're coming to get him & will try to rehome him through their fb page & website
    OP I wouldn't allow him to be rehomed. I imagine even the rehoming process would be stressful and confusing to the dog who already has issues and you have no idea if the new owners would keep it away from kids/cats etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm glad you've found a solution OP. I'm so sorry you had to go through this. I think you have made the right decision to surrender the dog.

To those being rude. Shame on you. I think some of you need to realise that some people are raised where this is the norm. I know I was, my grandad would shot any of his working dogs if/when necessary. I did no know any better for a long time. So it is very plausible the OP did not know any better. In such a tough situation a lil bit of tact and kindness goes a long way.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jb23 For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (08-11-2013),twotrunks  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Shooting might be cruel to some of you, but it's what country people do. Like it or not. Even the big animal vets will often shoot an injured animal rather than give it a needle. Having said that, I couldn't do it myself.

As for rehoming the animal, I don't think its a good idea. It's snapped at kids and rather viciously killed a kitten. Once a dog gets a taste of blood, it's not a good idea to keep them around if you ask me.

OP, we live rural too so I understand that there are often limited access to services like this. Is there an RSPCA/Shelter in the district that might collect the dog? Or a mobile vet? They are often a lot cheaper than a vet hospital. Hopefully the ranger calls you back quickly and gives you some options.

ETA, too slow to post! Just saw your update and glad you've got so me help.
    Last edited by Californication; 08-11-2013 at 10:32.

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

1234Guest  (08-11-2013),Amiedoll  (08-11-2013),delirium  (08-11-2013),IvyRain  (08-11-2013),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (08-11-2013),LoCo  (08-11-2013),NancyBlackett  (08-11-2013),Pregalicious  (08-11-2013),Purple Lily  (08-11-2013),Stiflers Mom  (08-11-2013),TimeForWine  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My dhs family have always done their own euthanising when required - a dog gets hit by a truck, is in terrible pain, vet is ages away; of course they are going to shoot it rather than keep it in pain, just as they would with a sheep or another animal that's going to die. Go easy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

IvyRain  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally understand op, my brother had half his face torn off by my uncles dog. This dog had shown no sign of agression until all of a sudden he killed some of their chickens. They did nothing about the dog, and just put it down to animal instinct. Then he jumped the fence and bit a pregnant lady- they still did nothing, he then killed their daughters cat... Again nothing. He then tore off my brothers face (he was 3 sitting on the porch pulling on his gumboots) after extensive plastic surgery, still nothing done about this dog. It wasn't until the dog nearly killed their daughter that they finally did something (shot him, unfortunately thats a very normal thing for animals on farms to all of you being judgemental, i hope you are all vegans by the way)
    Its not something you want to just let go. You're right, how would you feel if you do nothing and its one of your children that gets bitten or worse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd be more worried about the repercussions. We may or may not think it's cruel but I'd suspect there are laws surrounding shooting pet animals. I'd imagine if I took an animal out the back and shot it there'd be some extremely worried and scared neighbours, cops banging on my door, and perhaps consequences from RSPCA and laws surrounding animal cruelty.

I'm glad the ranger was helpful and can take him off your hands OP. I really think this is the best solution

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
    Hi OP - what a terrible situation. No matter the reason for the dogs behaviour, it is awful to imagine that it could possibly hurt your children. And the fact that it has snapped at them previously is a worry.

Definately take it to a shelter if you can.

Just a side note - and I honestly do not mean any offence - but why is it considered so inhumane to put down an animal by shooting it? It would be killed instantly and in it's own environment wouldn't it? I have always felt awful after having my elderly cat put down, for taking her to the vet (a place she always hated) to be held down and euthanized :-( I am certainly not condoning this in this situation as there are other options, but just curious.
    Because they know what's coming they're tied up with a gun pointing at it! It's ********. With a needle they just peacefully drift off to sleep there is no pain

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2b87 For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, glad to hear the ranger is coming for the dog. I have had a dog that killed two kittens, so I can understand how you feel a bit. I'm so sorry you're in this situation xx

I cannot believe the rudeness of some of the posts - you should be ashamed of yourselves. Shooting animals is more common than you'd like to believe, particularly in rural areas where there aren't shelters, or adoption/rehoming services, or as sad as it is, some people are too tight to pay for a vet (not saying OP is, she is obviously going through an awful time, I was thinking along the lines of the farmers I grew up around).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry for you and your DS jagamoe. What a horrible thing to experience, not to mention VERY traumatising. Big hugs for both of you

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast