+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Birth after 3rd or 4th degree tear

Has anyone had another baby after a 3rd or 4th degree tear? Did you birth vaginally? I had an incredible HBAC a few weeks back but unfortunately had a complication and had to birth quickly, resulting in a bad tear. Of course all the doctors say I must now have a c-section if I'm thinking of having another baby, but evidence suggest risk of repeat tear is very low.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shameless bump...anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by futuremamma View Post
    Has anyone had another baby after a 3rd or 4th degree tear? Did you birth vaginally? I had an incredible HBAC a few weeks back but unfortunately had a complication and had to birth quickly, resulting in a bad tear. Of course all the doctors say I must now have a c-section if I'm thinking of having another baby, but evidence suggest risk of repeat tear is very low.
    Yep, I had a 3rd degree tear with my first and went on to have another vaginal birth 18 months later. However, because I'd had a previous 3rd degree tear it was recommended I have an episiotomy, which I did. The episiotomy actually took longer to heal than my tear. It was never suggested to me that I have a Caesarian although I think it would be different with a 4th degree tear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep, I had a vbac and got a 3rd degree, borderline 4th degree tear and then 18 months later had another vaginal birth and got a 2nd degree tear and another 18 mths later I had yet another vaginal birth with another 2nd tear. I've never had an episiotomy. The midwives and Doctors said to me 'if I chose' that I could have an elect c/sect due to the first major tear etc, but left that up to me and I went in knowing all the risks of having a vaginal birth.

I will be having surgery in the future for complications, but I don't regret having the vaginal births.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Having problems editing my post above, but further to that above, the surgery I have to have in the future is not necessarily to do with the first bad tear, although the significant tear did contribute to my problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies. Uniquey - was your c-section traumatic? I think many people think in hindsight I should have had a c-section. They can't see that for me, it was way more traumatic than the 4th degree tear and pph.
    I'm sure any doctor is going to recommend a c-section for me when they see previous emergency c-section, severe pph and 4th degree tear in my history but I'd like to be more informed about the real risk of a bad repeat tear.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to futuremamma For This Useful Post:

moongazer  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sure did. 4th deg tears with my first. 2nd deg tears with my second due to compound presentation. I had to fight for a vb though.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by futuremamma View Post
    Thanks for your replies. Uniquey - was your c-section traumatic? .
    In answer to your question, my c/section was an 'elective' (hate that term) as my baby was breech, so by all accounts as far as c/sections go it was straight forward and went extremely well. So in that sense it was fine, but mentally it was not so good for me at all I suffered with post natal depression as a result or at least that was the catalyst and that on top of the recovery was a 'traumatic' time for me.

Further to what you wrote in your post, I too had a severe PPH with my 3rd Vbac, so I hope that gives you some reassurance and allays some of your fears, that even though we're all different, it's nice to know others have been through the same. Please let me know how you get on when the time comes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    P.s, if it helps, my tears got 'better' (as far as tears go) with each subsequent vaginal birth, and so did the recovery of the tears.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (18-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am unsure of the degree of my cut ( I didn't tear) but I got a full front to back cut, stitches both inside and out, all the way to the *ahem* back

I had my second bub, although I waited 11.5 years to do it! And second, and subsequently third deliveries were both good, no tears, no cuts.

When I was preg with my second, and totally freaking out about another sizeable cut or tear down there, a middie told me that some women can have bubs 12 months apart, and rip with one but not the other! so who knows.

I wasn't taking that risk lol