+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD was 6m for just a few hours a week. By 10m she was there two full days and by 2 you 3 full days.
    DS was 10m 3 full days.
    DSS will be 9m when he starts half days for 2weeks then he'll go three full days.
    We use family day care and have had the same carer since DD was 10m ( now 5.5y).
    The kids have all grown up knowing her so when it comes time for them to actually stay there its no big deal.
    I wouldn't want them in a child care situation though. I love they are only 1 of 5 kids. Sometimes only 3 or 4 but it really depends on the carer and we have a great one. ( she just won family day carer of the year in our state...I knew she was the best!).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by CleverClogs; 07-11-2013 at 23:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    None of kids have ever been in daycare or been looked after regularly by a family member. They are 8, nearly 6 and 2. They're social, happy, well adjusted kids and IMO haven't suffered or missed out on anything.

I don't think daycare is cruel, it's just not for us.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

babyla  (08-11-2013),brownsugar  (10-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (08-11-2013),snowqu33n  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    3yo, for preschool only.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd started at 9 months, 3 days a week. If you're worried about money, my out of pocket is about $202 a fortnight, after benefit and rebate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS1 was cared for at home from 9 months by a mummy nanny two days a week. She was wonderful but it was kind hard work having the house clean as well as DS organised. As my mummy nanny brought a business FS started day care at 18months. We've had ups and down but he is enjoying it again. We initially were only one day a week but increased it to two consecutive days. This helped him settle better.

DS2 will start in feb when I go back to work two days a week. He'll be 7months. I have reservations but I don't have much choice financially. I think il just start with shortish the two weeks before I return to work then it will be two days. Prob would do half days just so he has his big day sleep there.

Good luck! It's can be hard to start but I don't see quality daycare as cruel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We started at 5 months for 2 days a week but only for a couple of hours a day so he could get used to it. He's now up to 6 hours a day with no problems and will be starting an extra day in a week as I go back to work at the end of the month.

I didn't want to start so early but the places were available and I had to take them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't know where you are, but centres probably already have next year's numbers sorted. You want to ring a few centres today to see if they have spots.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son has been in daycare since 6 months old.. He went 3 times a week at first (the first two weeks he was only in for two days a week for half - 3/4 days to get him used to it and it was before I went back to work so I could go and pick him up if he was having a terrible time adjusting and it made me far more comfortable knowing I was only around the corner if he did happen to need me.
    After 3 months he moved up to full time daycare. He is 2.5 now and he has really flourished there. I love his daycare. He loves his daycare. His daycarers adore him. There is nothing cruel about me taking him there..

For my family my returning to work was both the best thing for us and a necessity. We saved for a house deposit, and built a house while paying for full time childcare. Having a child can drop the amount that you are able to borrow from the bank by around $20,000 per child so that might be something for you and your hubby to think about, if you are wanting to apply for a loan just based upon his income.
    It may work in your favour if you return to work part time even for a short while to secure a loan. If you quit your job and then end up needing the income to get a loan, it'll be a longer process because you would have to be in your job for a few months to be classed as having a 'secure' job in the banks eyes.
    That said, I dont know the ins and outs of your situation and you might be able to afford a loan/be approved based upon your hubbys income alone, rendering it unnecesary for you to return to work!

Another point to think about is (if you are like me that is) I have worked full time since I left school, so am used to working all the time. While I adore being at home with my son, I found that as he started getting bigger I was going a bit mad because I wasnt working.. And working part time for those first few months made my time at home with DS far better.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dinky Doo For This Useful Post:

shadowangel0205  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS went into full time daycare at 18 months and he is now 4. While there was a transition period at the time he is doing wonderfully there now in the kindy programme. He's extremely well adjusted socially and I'm always amazed at how much he learns there. It can be pricey for some but for me on a lower income it's only about $135 per week out of pocket for full time care. Perhaps find out how much it will cost you out of pocket and weigh up the benefits. As for it being cruel - in my experience it has been pretty positive for us. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I don't know anything about day care. Most of our friends with kids are stay at home mums. What are some tips on choosing a good day care centre? What are things I should look out for? I have probably missed the boat for early next year. So I will really have to get organized now. I'm just so nervous.

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.