+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When did you put your kids in daycare?

My maternity leave will be running out early next year and I will need to make a decision on whether to go back to work or not.

I'm not sure how I feel about my daughter in day care. I have heard mixed things from friends/family. Some people think it's fantastic for their social development and others think it's cruel to put a child in care so young.

The big factor influencing our decision will be money. I'm worried that the price of day care will make going back to work pointless. I don't want to go back and not be financially better off. But we are saving for a house and I'm concerned that when we go to get a mortgage, they may not approve us based on hubby's wage alone.

What age is a good age to start kids in day care? Should I be trialling her on 1-2 days a week before I may need to go back to work? Has anyone just started straight away on 3-4 days a week? I don't know if my boss will allow me to go back part-time, so I will have to see my options. If I do go back to work, I want the transition to be as smooth as possible for her.

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    7 months, 2 days a week. It's been great!

Anyone calling daycare cruel needs a reality check. Female genital mutilation is cruel as is being locked up when innocent, daycare is not cruel.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

cam11  (10-11-2013),CleverClogs  (07-11-2013),kriista  (07-11-2013),Pearl Barley  (07-11-2013),snowqu33n  (07-11-2013),Star Light  (07-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think the right age for say are is when it's the right time for your family

My DS1 never went to daycare - but he did go to a friend of mine 4 days a week and I paid her.

My DS2 has gone to day care since he was 11&1/2 months old. Initially for two days a week during the first year. He is currently in his second year at day care and goes 4 days a week. He loves it! Talks about his teachers and day care friends often. He is now 2 & 1/2 years old.

I felt horrible about sending my first, hence the friend situation. It actually caused me a lot of anxiety to think about it. But I didn't have a choice with DS2. I no longer had alternative care and I'm a single mother so had to return to work in a larger capacity to afford our lifestyle. Thankfully I've been happy from the beginning and I've come to reuse that the people I know who told me it wasn't cruel had never actually had children in day care and seen them thrive.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    9.5mths, 2 days a week. Still settling in but I'm very grateful for the hard work and care provided.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. Did you find it hard to find a good day care? Did you have to try a few before finding a good one?

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son has been at the same daycare for 4yrs since 4.5mths so it was easy for me to re-enrol him and enrol my daughter when I returned to work 10wks ago

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    The right time depends on the child and your circumstance. My first was in care 1 day a week from 9 months, my second 1 day from 11 months and I haven't sent my third yet but it will be from 12 months.

I didn't like sending them that young but for the sake of my job and our finances it was a necessity. The children weren't affected by it at all, just me feeling guilty.

I really think women need to keep their mouths shut on all the 'negative' impacts of day care. I think it's largely unfounded and it does nothing but make working mums feel terrible about sending their children to care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 4 months for 2 days a week. But my mum is the day care provider so I was pretty relaxed about it.

I worked in childcare for five years and I've known children who jumped straight in from the beginning M-F, so it really depends on your needs, the vacant spots, and your child. A good place will help you have a gentle transition, usually with half-days, or an hour or two in your presence, etc.

I think day care is fantastic for children - assuming you find a quality centre / carer with great staff. There are duds out there but there are also plenty of wonderful carers too.

If you're planning on it at all, then I'd suggest you start looking soon and putting your name down on waiting lists. They get pretty long, particularly around the beginning of the year.

If you're concerned about money, you could look at your local council family day care scheme. They're generally cheaper, a bit more flexible and a bit easier to find open places. But you definitely have to check everything out carefully, try the place out and trust your instincts. If you qualify you're entitled to CCB: that definitely helps make the costs of care more manageable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My son has gone 5 days a week to childcare since he's 6.5 mo.

He loves it!! It's just another family for him there, so many friends and attention from the staff.

For our situation it is the best cause we have an awesome center (the staff is so nice and happy, makes me want to work there too) and I can only see positive in my baby.

If he wasn't so happy to go in the mornings I would have reconsidered though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    DS1 was 2.5 and he went 2 days a week. Pulled him out when he was 3 as we moved and I didn't like the options in our new area. He then started pre-prep at 3.5

DS2 is 3yrs 4 months and he has never been to daycare and wont until he starts pre-prep at 4.5 yrs old.

DS3 probably wont go to care until he is in pre-prep and he'll start that at 3.5

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app