+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default I ll be grateful if someone could precisely answer a few queries regarding Medicare

After reading so many things , it is so confusing...I ll be grateful if someone could answer precisely. We are permanent residents

1) are Ultrasound tests and other blood/sugar tests etc during pregnancy convered/reimbursed by Medicare
    a) Yes b) No c) Partially .. if partially what percentage?

2) are medicine costs prescribed by a bulk billing doctor covered/reimbursed by medicare a) Yes b) No c) Partially .. if partially what percentage?

3) Are these tests freely done at public hospitals?

4) My GP has referred me to a public hospital today.... i hv an appointment on 26th of November in a hospital and expected delivery date is 25th of December? Is der anything I need to do before hand?

Thanks and Regards

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't answer all of your questions, but I went public and wasn't out of pocket for anything related to the pregnancy.. Except for my 20 week scan because I wanted the 4D so went privately for that... I had a second ultrasound at the hospital (bubs was late so they wanted to check the waters etc) and it was covered too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'll answer what I can!

1) are Ultrasound tests and other blood/sugar tests etc during pregnancy convered/reimbursed by Medicare

My first scan ("dating scan") was ~$135 and I got ~$50 back. 12 week scan will be $195 with no rebate. Not sure what 18-20 week scan costs or what rebate is.

2) are medicine costs prescribed by a bulk billing doctor covered/reimbursed by medicare a) Yes b) No c) Partially .. if partially what percentage?

Not sure about this, but I would think you'd have to pay for medicine unless you have a health care card or pension card.

GTT is free at hospital, same with blood tests.

4) My GP has referred me to a public hospital today.... i hv an appointment on 26th of November in a hospital and expected delivery date is 25th of December? Is der anything I need to do before hand?

You only have one appointment one month before your EDD?? I was having monthly hospital visits from about 16 weeks onwards at a public hospital. Seems a bit late to be having your first appointment??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    1) it's really dependent on where you go, some ultrasound places bulk bill others are private and charge. When your GP refers you, ask them and if your prefer a place that is bulk billed or charges less so therefore your rebate covers most of it then ask you GP to specifically refer to a place that does that.

2) as far as I know you pay for your meds unless you have a concession card.

3) if your blood tests are done in your public hospital I don't think you will owe anything, but unsure. Ask at your appt.

If you're due the 25th of Dec. then I wouldn't expect you to have an ultrasound this far along unless they are performing a fetal well-being scan which your hospital will probably do and you shouldn't be charged for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cutehailian View Post
    After reading so many things , it is so confusing...I ll be grateful if someone could answer precisely. We are permanent residents

Thanks and Regards
    1- mine all were except the 12 week scan which cost me about $130 after rebate I think
    2- medicine costs? What sort of medicine? Unless you are in hospital, you pay for your own medicines like any other time. Medicine is usually discounted via the PBS unless it's not covered in which case you'd pay full price.
    3- sometimes at the hospital, usually at pathology collectors or medical imaging places for ultrasounds
    4- just go to the hosp for a look at the labour ward and discuss your wants and needs re birth with the hosp midwife

Edited as read the OPs previous posts about her situation.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Atropos; 07-11-2013 at 19:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My GP bulk bills me ( im not pregnant by the way) and prescriptions I get are not covered by medicare... I have had ultrasounds before that were covered by medicare fully as well as some that I paid for and got partial back... My best friend had her baby in a public hospital and it was free.. no cost what so ever for the birth. Blood tests are usually covered by medicare.. Best thing to do is go into your local Medicare office and ask them....

Thanks
    Reviews
    You will need to choose what type of care you are going to have- will it be hospital/midwife or shared care with your gp?

If hospital then all ultrasounds will be done there and there will be no out of pocket expense.

Shared care (depending on the radiology though) you shouldn't have to pay for dating scan, morphology scan and one growth and wellbeing scan(by referrals from your doctor) any additional ones you'll be charged.

This is my understanding and experience of it anyway- could be different for you though.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a public patient and I haven't paid for any tests or ultrasounds.
    I pay a discounted amount on certain medications but only because I have a health care card (given to low income families, talk to Centrelink to see if you're eligible).
    You'll need to book into a hospital (you'll need a referral from your gp), they will talk to you about the whole process.
    I agree with pp, you've left it quite late if you're due next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiedoll View Post
    I'm a public patient and I haven't paid for any tests or ultrasounds.
    I pay a discounted amount on certain medications but only because I have a health care card (given to low income families, talk to Centrelink to see if you're eligible).
    You'll need to book into a hospital (you'll need a referral from your gp), they will talk to you about the whole process.
    I agree with pp, you've left it quite late if you're due next month.

She has just arrived in Australia

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    She has just arrived in Australia
    Oh I see, sorry I must have missed that in the op

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (08-11-2013)