+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I hope I haven't offended anyone by making them feel they aren't budgeting well. It sounds like most of you already are!!

I only contributed as I'm asked constantly (even by other single parent families) how to help and on the times I have ... often these people would realise how I do it after I explain or show them. They didn't realise just how much I could save by not buying individually packaged yoghurts, baked goods, packet lunch treats or things like chocolate etc. A block of chocolate doesn't make it's way into my shopping unless I'm making a mud cake .... Which only happens about once a year for a birthday if that. There's nothing wrong with buying those things at all ... But when trying to budget they really do add up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I think guys that having one less adult mouth to feed would dramatically lower the grocery bill, so unless you kick your husbands out you're never going to get your bills so low the other factor is where you live- there is a huge huge difference in prices from city to city- people living rurally will pay far more than people in Sydney, for example. If you're already meal planning and have no wastage and shop at the cheapest places there's really nothing else that's in your control.
    It's very true what you say about where you live. Lots of threads on here talk of shopping at Aldi and Vegas markets. There's no Aldi for us in WA and where I live it's 20 min drive just to get to coles, traipsing to markets etc would require around 200kms driving so just not worth the fuel! And we live relatively 'close' to everything in the scheme of things!

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Haha... Oh your DH would be extremely grateful not to be living in my house with me doing the shopping!!! I did live with my exH for 10 years and even then there was never anything like milo or cereal in my house!! (I've since starting buying vitabrits since having kids). Home brand rolled oats that cost me less than two dollars and last over a month is more our thing.

He wasn't a really huge eater either though but like your DH was fussy about brands (I'd never have gotten away with generic milk). But even then I bought it when on sale. I've always sort of lead a champagne life on a beer budget this way but I'm much better at it now.

I even do this outside of groceries. I saw a Lego brand character reduced in Woolies from $26 to $4 so I bought 3 of them. I now have a gift for my nephews and even though I got them cheaply I'm not spending any extra. It's a good gift and I'm the only one who know it cost me $4.

I'm not dismissing the fact I only have 1 adult in my house - it would absolutely make a difference... But I'm not sure it would double my grocery bill.

I only know how much more budget conscious I am now and I did used to waste a lot or buy unnecessary items myself.
    Yes I love a bargain! I wish I'd seen that Lego!!! I've always got my eyes peeled for deals like that, it's seriously such a thrill!

I have converted DH to no name milk (he gets no choice!!). Everything else I'm better off buying it otherwise he pops to the general store and gets it anyhow at 3x the price!

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    That's probably not the right way to think of a home loan. It's not bad debt...you must be paying someone else's mortgage at the moment! At least some of the money paid into your mortgage will come back to you as capital gain...eventually!
    Our rent wouldnt cover the mortgage on this house! Not to mention all the other expenses of owning. We are happy renting and there are other ways to invest money

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (08-11-2013),Stretched  (08-11-2013),Theboys&me  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I don't understand how people can live without a credit card for overseas travel, online purchases, etc. although I guess with visa debit and paypal now it's easier.

People with cc debt should not be putting anything into a savings account. It should all be going onto your credit card. Think of the interest?! In the event you needed emergency cash, just put it on the card. Hopefully you won't need to do that and you will be saving yourself money, trust me.
    Quite easily!

Yes we have a mastercard debit card for online purchases. And we dont travel overseas, well havent for a while! If we did we could easily get a credit card for the trip then cancel it afterwards.

So many people get themselves into trouble with cc, if u can use it wisely tho then its great as an emergency back up etc. But we have money in a term deposit for that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use a debit card for online purchases and it also comes in handy when I don't want to carry cash and use EFTPOS. It's linked to one account which is topped up once a fortnight and there's simply no chance of overspending because once the money is gone it's gone because it's not credit.

Our rent wouldnt cover the mortgage on this house! Not to mention all the other expenses of owning. We are happy renting and there are other ways to invest money
    We rent too as our mortgage would not cover the house we are in. And while we are happy renting, I do worry that not having a house of my own will eventually bite me as the rental market only tightens further.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live within our means, I budget tightly and we don't have many luxuries since going to 1 wage. DH and I both have credit cards, mine is at the minimum amount and is used for unfirseen dr appointments or if I need to get something online. DH has rewards linked to his so all our bills are paid on his via direct debit and he pays the whole balance each month. Thankfully our only debt is the mortgage which is very minimal and has a large redraw if anything major occurred

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes. Always have, always will.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We pay what we feel is too much rent but it's not a stress. We're working toward changing that.

I have one credit card which has a $500 limit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I don't understand how people can live without a credit card for overseas travel, online purchases, etc. although I guess with visa debit and paypal now it's easier.
    What don't u get about it? For online purchases u definitely need a credit card but for travel why would u? I've traveled twice o/s with jyst a normal savings account

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app