+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    I'm not really sure. I barely go down the aisles though I know that much. I don't buy any packet food - actually I do buy baked beans for my boys sometimes to serve with their meat on lazy nights and crackers sometimes to pop in with their lunch but I buy a large box and portion out sizes in Tupperware containers.

I don't buy any soft drink/cordial. I only buy milk and I buy the woolies cheap brand. (I don't drink milk on it's own though only in tea or coffee).

I buy washing powder/toilet paper etc when it's on half price or heavily discounted specials. I like Kleenex cottonelle & biozet (or another decent brand) so I buy it only when it's cheap and I grab a couple. My DS2 is still in nappies but I find the home brand ones great and I was strictly a Huggies/MCN buyer for DS1. His day care actually provide his nappies when he is there.

I'm so kicking myself that I've only fairly recently found woolies select scented wipes. They are so lovely smelling and great quality. I've converted many others with them!!

Some weeks I'll challenge myself not to even shop for anything other than bread/milk/fruit. On these weeks we use things from the freezer/fridge/pantry and veg is often frozen peas.

I also only buy good meat. I don't buy mince or sausages at all.

I'm thinking I might start a blog where I show what I spend and what I make with it. I haven't kept receipts so can't recall exact items but I might task myself to do it starting now. I just really thrive on budgeting and saving but still eating well (I need more of a life I know!! Haha).
    I think you should😄

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Maybe you are bigger eaters than us?? Or make meals with more ingredients??

I portion out meat when I buy it and often even slice a piece of salmon in half as it's cut to big for me. I don't eat huge portions of meat ... Neither do my boys. One chicken skewer or two small salmon patties with a smallish side of veg seems to fill them up. I'm not particularly fancy with what we eat unless I make a point of it. Steamed veg and some kind of protein is pretty much the norm for a few other dishes thrown in here and there.

I'm sure things will change as they get older. I've been warned of boys eating their parents out of pocket!! Lol
    It could be a portion thing and also keeping a grown male fed. I know when my DH goes away our food bill drops significantly!! He drinks at least 1l of milk a day, including a milo at night and 2 bowls of cereal a day. He's fussy on brands and insists on things like cooked breakfast once a week, biscuits with his cuppa (I do try to bake these but hard to do every 2-3 days) and cooks himself up chops for lunch some days. And that's just the start of it! I think it's awesome how well you keep the food bills down but add a man with a labour intensive job into the equation and yes, the bill goes up. It's 20 times worse if I actually take him shopping with me!!

I remember how much my siblings and I would eat as teens... Eek! I don't even want to start thinking about that!

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yes. Despite us earning good money together, we have a lot of outgoings and have to budget. Biggest expenses being mortgage (we even pay extra every week) insurances, childcare. At the moment, I've got 3 kids at daycare 2 days a week. Next year my eldest goes to school, but my daycare fees will be more because my younger 2 will be in daycare 3 days and my eldest needs before and after school care. Groceries and bills are up there as well. Holidays are important to us, we are going on a holiday at Christmas, then to Dubai and Ireland April next year. We will also do another holiday at the end of next year.

ETA - we own both cars, one is 2009 model, the other is 1998. We don't spend a lot of money on alcohol, don't smoke, meal plan. I don't buy chocolate or biscuits or chips etc.

We have enough money to pay for things and still have money in the bank. In the last month, my husband's old 94 Holden ute died, so he paid $2k for a new (not brand new) one. Our dryer just got died and getting replaced this weekend, got my baby's christening/1st birthday on Sunday, which is costing is us about $2k after catering, jumping castle etc. I normally do the catering at birthday parties but being a christening, more people were invited than usual. We just got a $1k electricity bill, my husband got a $500 fine but we manage to pay for all of this and mostly with cash and still have a good sum of money in the bank.

I will be the first to admit that if we earned less, we would struggle, but manage.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 08-11-2013 at 05:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Credit cards aren't all evil if you use them sensibly and have them swept every month. It's much better to have money sitting in an offset account, reducing your interest than regularly using the money in your offset if you have one.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

kw123  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't understand how people can live without a credit card for overseas travel, online purchases, etc. although I guess with visa debit and paypal now it's easier.

People with cc debt should not be putting anything into a savings account. It should all be going onto your credit card. Think of the interest?! In the event you needed emergency cash, just put it on the card. Hopefully you won't need to do that and you will be saving yourself money, trust me.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think guys that having one less adult mouth to feed would dramatically lower the grocery bill, so unless you kick your husbands out you're never going to get your bills so low the other factor is where you live- there is a huge huge difference in prices from city to city- people living rurally will pay far more than people in Sydney, for example. If you're already meal planning and have no wastage and shop at the cheapest places there's really nothing else that's in your control.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (08-11-2013),Stretched  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    It could be a portion thing and also keeping a grown male fed. I know when my DH goes away our food bill drops significantly!! He drinks at least 1l of milk a day, including a milo at night and 2 bowls of cereal a day. He's fussy on brands and insists on things like cooked breakfast once a week, biscuits with his cuppa (I do try to bake these but hard to do every 2-3 days) and cooks himself up chops for lunch some days. And that's just the start of it! I think it's awesome how well you keep the food bills down but add a man with a labour intensive job into the equation and yes, the bill goes up. It's 20 times worse if I actually take him shopping with me!!

I remember how much my siblings and I would eat as teens... Eek! I don't even want to start thinking about that!

I agree with that. When my then husband was away for work, my groceries for 1 adult and 3 kids was about $90/week. When he was home it would be at least $120. That was a few years ago too, so prices have gone up since then. I spend about $120/week now for me and 3 kids, and I am a mega tight@rse and buy really everything as cheap as possible.
    I am a big eater too, so half a piece of salmon and steamed veg would not cut it for me. And I also love cooking, so I do buy a lot of spices, sauces, odd vegies, etc to make different dishes.

Anyway to answer the OP, yes I do live within my means.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week

lol my DH does everything you listed he really bumps my bill up. Oh and I banned DH from coming shopping with me about 15 years ago bc he throws in heaps of stuff we don't need!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, we live simply and frugally and save for the shiny new things everybody wants from time to time. Mostly though we're just content people who don't care too much about owning stuff. Exceptions being me: books, and he: musical gear, both of which can be bought second hand for great prices. We buy basically everything second hand from clothes and computers to our car blah blah blah etc. I prefer it that way. We do have a mortgage, which is great - capital in the bank - but paid out the car loan a couple of years ago and I'm very happy to have it gone. Mind you, our car is twenty years old and only cost $6k to begin with!
    I do think anyone can live on a low income and be happy but you have to be willing to sacrifice shiny new things and make do with older stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Haha... Oh your DH would be extremely grateful not to be living in my house with me doing the shopping!!! I did live with my exH for 10 years and even then there was never anything like milo or cereal in my house!! (I've since starting buying vitabrits since having kids). Home brand rolled oats that cost me less than two dollars and last over a month is more our thing.

He wasn't a really huge eater either though but like your DH was fussy about brands (I'd never have gotten away with generic milk). But even then I bought it when on sale. I've always sort of lead a champagne life on a beer budget this way but I'm much better at it now.

I even do this outside of groceries. I saw a Lego brand character reduced in Woolies from $26 to $4 so I bought 3 of them. I now have a gift for my nephews and even though I got them cheaply I'm not spending any extra. It's a good gift and I'm the only one who know it cost me $4.

I'm not dismissing the fact I only have 1 adult in my house - it would absolutely make a difference... But I'm not sure it would double my grocery bill.

I only know how much more budget conscious I am now and I did used to waste a lot or buy unnecessary items myself.