+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    You eat so healthy....how do u manage that on $150 a fortnight? I have a man to feed as well but cant get below $300 a f/t
    I'm not really sure. I barely go down the aisles though I know that much. I don't buy any packet food - actually I do buy baked beans for my boys sometimes to serve with their meat on lazy nights and crackers sometimes to pop in with their lunch but I buy a large box and portion out sizes in Tupperware containers.

I don't buy any soft drink/cordial. I only buy milk and I buy the woolies cheap brand. (I don't drink milk on it's own though only in tea or coffee).

I buy washing powder/toilet paper etc when it's on half price or heavily discounted specials. I like Kleenex cottonelle & biozet (or another decent brand) so I buy it only when it's cheap and I grab a couple. My DS2 is still in nappies but I find the home brand ones great and I was strictly a Huggies/MCN buyer for DS1. His day care actually provide his nappies when he is there.

I'm so kicking myself that I've only fairly recently found woolies select scented wipes. They are so lovely smelling and great quality. I've converted many others with them!!

Some weeks I'll challenge myself not to even shop for anything other than bread/milk/fruit. On these weeks we use things from the freezer/fridge/pantry and veg is often frozen peas.

I also only buy good meat. I don't buy mince or sausages at all.

I'm thinking I might start a blog where I show what I spend and what I make with it. I haven't kept receipts so can't recall exact items but I might task myself to do it starting now. I just really thrive on budgeting and saving but still eating well (I need more of a life I know!! Haha).
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 07-11-2013 at 22:26.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (08-11-2013),Caviar  (07-11-2013),dancingchipmunk  (08-11-2013),Isabellabean  (08-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (07-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    I'm not really sure. I barely go down the aisles though I know that much. I don't buy any packet food - actually I do buy baked beans for my boys sometimes to serve with their meat on lazy nights and crackers sometimes to pop in with their lunch but I buy a large box and portion out sizes in Tupperware containers.

I don't buy any soft drink/cordial. I only buy milk and I buy the woolies cheap brand. (I don't drink milk on it's own though only in tea or coffee).

I buy washing powder/toilet paper etc when it's on half price or heavily discounted specials. I like Kleenex cottonelle & biozet (or another decent brand) so I buy it only when it's cheap and I grab a couple. My DS2 is still in nappies but I find the home brand ones great and I was strictly a Huggies/MCN buyer for DS1. His day care actually provide his nappies when he is there.

I'm so kicking myself that I've only fairly recently found woolies select scented wipes. They are so lovely smelling and great quality. I've converted many others with them!!

Some weeks I'll challenge myself not to even shop for anything other than bread/milk/fruit. On these weeks we use things from the freezer/fridge/pantry and veg is often frozen peas,
    You know, i shop this way too, right down to the homebrand nappies.

Im so careful and just cant get it lower unless we were to eat total crap for dinner!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Im so careful and just cant get it lower unless we were to eat total crap for dinner!
    Sorry I just added to my post before reading this. I never eat crap for dinner (although since my surgery my diet has changed due to only being able to eat soft foods). I usually have fresh grilled salmon or lamb as my protein. I'm a bit of a creature of habit though so can easily eat the same thing for breakfast most days.

I'll work on starting a thread to see if it helps anyone. (Keeping in mind I only shop for 1 adult, a 5 year old and a 2 year old).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (07-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Maybe you are bigger eaters than us?? Or make meals with more ingredients??

I portion out meat when I buy it and often even slice a piece of salmon in half as it's cut to big for me. I don't eat huge portions of meat ... Neither do my boys. One chicken skewer or two small salmon patties with a smallish side of veg seems to fill them up. I'm not particularly fancy with what we eat unless I make a point of it. Steamed veg and some kind of protein is pretty much the norm for a few other dishes thrown in here and there.

I'm sure things will change as they get older. I've been warned of boys eating their parents out of pocket!! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry didn't mean to quote twice :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week

We are the same. I buy everything on special. I cook a lot from scratch although I do buy chips/chocolate. Just meat, vege and fruit sets me back about $80+ a week.

I seen lots of shopping threads on here and the bottom line is that those that spend less, buy less. Beyond buying specials, meal planning and buying in bulk there really is no secret other than having very simple meals, not having much fruit and veg or much in the cupboards. I've seen people say they spent $60 a week for a family of 4, and when they listed off their docket, it would have fed us for 3 days, if not less. They had 1 loaf of bread, 2l of milk, 2 apples, to last a week. We go through that a day lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    We are the same. I buy everything on special. I cook a lot from scratch although I do buy chips/chocolate. Just meat, vege and fruit sets me back about $80+ a week.

I seen lots of shopping threads on here and the bottom line is that those that spend less, buy less. Beyond buying specials, meal planning and buying in bulk there really is no secret other than having very simple meals, not having much fruit and veg or much in the cupboards. I've seen people say they spent $60 a week for a family of 4, and when they listed off their docket, it would have fed us for 3 days, if not less. They had 1 loaf of bread, 2l of milk, 2 apples, to last a week. We go through that a day lol
    I'd agree with that ... I don't have a fridge packed like I used to. But my kids and I eat fruit at least twice a day and veg every day. 2L of milk lasts us heaps longer than a day though. I don't really drink it. Plus we're only a family of three and I'm the only adult (although really my boys already eat much more than I do in a day!!) lol. I don't tend to snack. My kids do though (well I pack them lunch for the day and they have something after school then dinner). We also don't do dessert. (But I have made two mug cakes with yoghurt since being on this soft diet).

I never buy anything like chocolate/chips etc. unless it's a for a party. I can't have foodie that in my house... It'd haunt me until I ate it!! But I did just buy 2 mangoes for $6 ... OMG!! We all share one though. I don't eat a whole one myself. I'm satisfied with a half.

Sometimes I can spend $100 one week and only $40 the next.
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 07-11-2013 at 22:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We bought our car outright too and dont have a home loan so have zero debt. I dont know how id feel about having a $400,000 debt hanging over my head. Prob very anxious! I hate owing money
    That's probably not the right way to think of a home loan. It's not bad debt...you must be paying someone else's mortgage at the moment! At least some of the money paid into your mortgage will come back to you as capital gain...eventually!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

Jellyfishie  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I knew there'd be a spin off! lol

We live within our means but it's taken some work. When circumstances reduced our income drastically, we were forced to take a hard look at our lifestyle and cut back. One car, no credit card, calculating our expenses and withdrawing once from the ATM in a fortnight, going through the supermarket catalogues and souring food from other places.

We buy good meat and we buy it in bulk from the farmer's door. This involves a $150 cash outlay but the meat lasts a good three months and feeds us well. We also source fruit and veg from a local market rather than the supermarket as well as grow our own. Again, this is another substantial saving for us.

We have money jars for separate things - fuel, food, little extras, approaching bills. We have a folder containing the bills so we are able to average them out and pay a bit each week into the jar and then pay in full when the bill arrives.

I have to say that when we started this it was a major pain in the bum for me. I found it tedious and time consuming. However, as time has gone on and our savings have grown and we've actually got some order in our household, I now see it as a challenge and that when I do get my income back, I'll be confident about saving even more. My DH and I have also realised what is important and what isn't and 'being frugal has really changed the way we approach life now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    That's probably not the right way to think of a home loan. It's not bad debt...you must be paying someone else's mortgage at the moment! At least some of the money paid into your mortgage will come back to you as capital gain...eventually!
    Yeah. Home loans are funny things. We have$550000 in two mortgages on two properties now worth about 1,200000. We're asset rich cash poor which doesn't help pay bills.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app