+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I'm fairly sure cars aren't considered an asset. They depreciate in value. I'm also glad I was able to buy mine for this reason, although DP bought his with the use of a loan which I was also fine with.
    On application forms for loans etc they require to know what your assets are and vehicles come into that category so I guess they are classed as an asset. Anything of value you own is an asset regardless of the value. I don't take into consideration the depreciation aspect of buying a new car because our new cars last us years and we don't buy them with the intention to sell them anytime soon so we get our money's worth. And some models of cars will always have a satisfactory return if looked after, we've always found that when selling dh's previous cars when we have upgraded.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 08-11-2013 at 16:42.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (08-11-2013)

Pregalicious is offline "Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple."
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    [QUOTE=Benji;7537353]I'm fairly sure cars aren't considered an asset. They depreciate in value. I'm also glad I was able to buy mine for this reason, although DP bought his with the use of a loan which I was also fine with.[/QUOTE

Vehicles are considered to be depreciating current assets. (Sorry to butt in!) This means that they have a lifespan of less than 30yrs and are considered a 'temporary asset' much the same as leisure boats etc

Sent from my ZTE T82

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pregalicious For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have no credit cards, no furniture on finance.... actually no liabilities except for investment properties, which we have sold and settle on next week. We will then be completely debt free for a couple of months until we take out a new mortgage.

So yes we live within our means.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    [QUOTE=Pregalicious;7537432]
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I'm fairly sure cars aren't considered an asset. They depreciate in value. I'm also glad I was able to buy mine for this reason, although DP bought his with the use of a loan which I was also fine with.[/QUOTE

Vehicles are considered to be depreciating current assets. (Sorry to butt in!) This means that they have a lifespan of less than 30yrs and are considered a 'temporary asset' much the same as leisure boats etc

Sent from my ZTE T82
    some banks will consider them assets, a lot of people don't because as mentioned they depreciate and they actually cost money to keep and maintain. It is also not certain how much they will sell for which is why many don't consider them an asset. Some people have more valuable things inside their home than parked in the garage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Benji;7537617]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pregalicious View Post
    some banks will consider them assets, a lot of people don't because as mentioned they depreciate and they actually cost money to keep and maintain. It is also not certain how much they will sell for which is why many don't consider them an asset. Some people have more valuable things inside their home than parked in the garage.
    Cars are listed in the assets colum not the liabilities one on loan application forms.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (08-11-2013)

Pregalicious is offline "Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple."
    Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Benji;7537617]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pregalicious View Post
    Im sure they do, and yep, ur 100% right, vehicles do depreciate. You never know what they will sell for and they cost money to maintain - just like a house Its not crucial to the thread to debate it, I was just letting you know

Sent from my ZTE T82

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Ok this is confusing as there is obviously an issue with the quoting lol.

yes, banks will accept them as an asset this I know. Many financial experts do not for the reasons I mentioned above. Heck, centrelink want to know the value of your clothes and consider that an asset (so they can give people less money lol).

i was always taught they are not an asset but I know banks accept it, yes.

http://smartmoneyguide.blogspot.com....car-asset.html

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, it is a bit confusing. I'm an accountant, and at our firm they are definately considered an asset. It is very inconsistant across the board, I can't tell you why - it makes no sense to me either

Sent from my ZTE T82

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pregalicious For This Useful Post:

Benji  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know what you mean! I just thought "I have a lot of assets: vehicles" was an interesting way to put it. If it's a case of something being able to be sold for money I am currently talking to you while sitting on my asset and watching my asset and typing on my asset I haven't ever thought of myself as having two assets parked outside but I know what you are saying, different firms consider different things assets and liabilities. I thought the rich dad, poor dad's view on whether or not a house is an asset was interesting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the moment we don't live within our means! We always have but in The past 18 months we have sold our house and embarked on a massive renovation on an old queenslander (aka the money pit). We now have a huge mortgage and are struggling to make ends meet. It's not long-term, just for now until we have finished off the house/landscaping.

So yes, it's our choice to live beyond our means at the moment. But we owe far less on our house than what it's worth!