+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Am I in labour?

I've been awake for the last 1.5 hrs with strong but irregular contractions. 40 weeks pregnant on Friday, and this is my 2nd bub. Last pregnancy I was induced at 41 weeks and can't remember the contractions building up, as I had gel inserted and then took a sleeping pill and woke a few hours later with strong contractions 5 mins apart. These ones I'm having now are all over the place but quite intense. from what I remember of my previous labour, it feels the same. I've had them on and off for the past week but never for this long (they usually fizzle out after half an hour max).

I don't want to go to hospital if it's not the real deal because that would require calling my sister at 5.30am to come and watch my DS.. He doesn't wake up for at least another hour.. But my OB told me to come to hospital if contractions are 15 mins apart and they are way more regular than that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How long are they lasting? As a doula, I would tell you to stay home until they're lasting a minute and about 5 mins apart. Have never heard of being told to go to the hospital when they're 15 minutes apart... If you go too early you will be put on their clock and more likely to have interventions if baby doesn't arrive by a certain time. Staying home until labor is active is your best chance to keep things going smoothly. Labor often stops when you get to the hospital for a period of time so another reason to wait until it's definitely active.

If you're worried call the hospital and speak to a midwife, can you speak through a contraction? That is something they usually look for. I suspect they will tell you to wait until they are lasting long and more frequent with a rhythm.

Is there a medical reason your OB told you to come at 15 mins apart?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (07-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the 15 minutes thing is just his way of ensuring that he will make it to the delivery on time because it's my 2nd? He expects my labour to be fast but I'm not sure why he think this. My last labour was 10hrs of active labour (4cm-10cm).

I haven't tried talking through contractions because I'm lying in bed alone lol but I think I could talk through them although I do have to stop and breathe through, like if I am on Facebook or whatever I have to stop what I'm doing. Having said that, I didn't find contractions "painful" last time either, I talked through most of my labour first time around.

Contractions are about 1 minute long about 7 mins apart on average but some are 10 and some are 3.. So annoying!

I would much rather be home as long as possible but I'm scared I won't make it to hospital in time if I don't recognise that I'm actually in labour. I need to wait for my sister to get here which could take up to half an hour depending on traffic and then to get to hospital is at least 30 minutes but that's if it isn't peak hour which is soon will be...

I guess I can wait another hour and see..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd say try and wait another hour to see if they get more of a rhythm but still give the hospital a call and get the midwives advice as I have had some clients that just cope with pain really well and end up much further along than you think because they stay chatty and relaxed through contractions.

Maybe send your sister a text so she's prepared to leave when you need her to, or have her come now and just relax in another room or help with your DS until you're ready to leave.

Subsequent labors are usually faster than the first so that is why your OB has probably said you'll go faster, your body knows what it's doing now!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

witherwings  (07-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice! Will do all of the above

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No problem, look forward to hearing some news later!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update for those interested:

After I called the birthing suite the contractions stopped completely. Then they started up again this evening at around 6pm and have been going on and off but mostly on, about 10 minutes apart and quite strong. Not sure what to do. I called hospital again just to update them and they said it's my call if I want to come in. I'm just scared of doing all that way and being turned back.

I'm just waiting for them to be more intense and regular and then I'll go.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (10-11-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (07-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh no! I just PMed you hoping you had a screaming baby in your arms! It sounds like you're back to how you were this morning so my advice is still the same, wait an hour to see if they get a little more of a rhythm. Are they lasting a minute?

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Are you taking yourself to the hospital? If it's far enough away, they may not turn you back at all, but I would hazard a guess it would depend on how busy the ward is.. you can always call back and ask about the possibility of being sent home?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did go to hospital last night, cervix completely closed and long! Was so upset! Midwife said im likely in pre-labour which could go for days. After the internal they did, I went home and tried to sleep but I had some AWFUL contractions and cervix pain for hours despite them giving me panadeine forte. At about 2.30am I had a shower and the contractions eased off enough for me to sleep but I did wake constantly until my ds woke me up at around 7am.

Saw my ob at 9am and he did a s&s, told me he could feel bubs head and that he thinks I will have bub today/tonight. But I'm not so sure. I've had a bit of cramping but no actual contractions, and no show or anything. So just waiting now.

How long after a s&s should I expect things to happen if at all?