+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 1,2,3 Magic Help

I've just watched the DVD and I'm struggling applying this with my 4yr old. The kids in the DVD were all 6yrs+ and all seemed to walk off quiet well to take time out.
    My Ds won't stay in one spot for more than 10 seconds. It's hard to restrain/ stand near him as I have a 20m old. If I send him to his room, he will run back out and if I close the door, he'll throw/ destroy things.

Im at a loss. I'm resorting to yelling, even smacking.

Will removing a favourite toy for a time limit work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Set a consequence that works for you. You need to find his currency. It doesn't have to be a time out if that doesn't work for him. As long as you are consistent with your 1,2,3 with only about 5-10 seconds between them.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I do removing a toy sometimes. Depend on the circumstance, sometimes he gets a time out and he has to sit on my bed (I go with him) or whatever he is playing with gets a time out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks all. Also he answers back a lot, so cheeky at the moment!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use 123 magic, and for our 4 year old use his room for time out. Can you remove anything breakable from his room? Does he share a room? If not, the book recommends letting him trash his room (as long as he's not physically destroying or damaging anything), but not going straight in and tiding it, leave it until he gets sick of not finding anything. Ultimately, what ever he's doing in his room is to get a reaction from you - if he doesn't get a reaction he will stop pretty quickly. (Hope that makes sense)

We held the door closed for the first few weeks, now on the rare occasion we get to 3 he just has a fake cry and finds something to play with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I started using 123 magic with my son at about 2 and have always found it to work well. He is 4 now and it rarely gets to the point he needs to go to his room anymore, but he will stay there if he does.

Sorry, not much help I know, I just wanted to assure you it can work for this age group. Maybe try the removal of a toy if that will work better for him?