+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a bit of acarrier addict but my stash is still small. When DD was a newbie I used a Hug-A-Bub which I got for $60 on ebay. Loved it!
    Now I have:
    Two woven wraps:- 1) size 6 100% cotton Vatanai $135, cooler for summer, easy to break in and is big enough to do most carries. Takes practice to wrap but is the best for weight distribution imo.
    2) size 5 hemp/cotton blend Natibaby $150. Not as much fabric to work with and is stronger for when she is bigger.
    A $100 mei tai which is great for quicker up and down and easier to get bub on back. Also has a sleep hood that can be pulled up to support bubs head when sleeping. Can get a bit hot
    Two ring slings:- 1) a Breeze Baby mesh sling, $55, great for water and the beach. Very cool.
    2) a 100% silk Sakura Bloom, $60. The ring slings only get use for quick things like hanging washing as they tend to pull on my neck but they are great for that!
    I buy second hand most of the time cause its either cheaper or at least a little broken in. I have yet to experience anything with buckles.
    Last edited by Tildy; 06-11-2013 at 20:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tula Baby Carrier - much more ergonomic than Ergo (provides a good deep seat with knee to knee coverage for optimal carrying position). And much comfier for mum - I started off with an ergo and never looked back after trying a Tula.

And if you can try wrapping with a woven it is super comfy and not as difficult as it looks! There are heaps of videos on utube to show you how and it only takes a few goes to get it right or you can go to a meet for some help

3. The Following User Says Thank You to me+he&she=three For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (07-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD is 3 months old and I have a Beco Gemini and I LOVE IT!!!! DD loves it and always falls asleep in it within a few minutes. I can wear it for hours with no back aches and have no complaints about it at all. It cost $180 from a friends website. If you want the site PM me. She also sells ergos and hugabubs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by decemberbubba View Post
    I have a few.

- Hug-a-Bub (stretchy wrap), which is great for newborn, about $100. You can get cheaper versions though.
    - Ring sling, I like for quick trips/ wears, but it does put a bit of strain on my neck after about a hour, about $80.
    - Ergo Performance, I like for back carry, but I find it's still too bulky with DS2 who is 6.5 months, about $200.
    - Homemade non-stretchy cotton wrap, my fav atm and love for longer wears, about $40 in material from Spotlight.
    Hi December bubba I've been considering making my own non stretchy wrap as bub is too big for my hug a bub but I really can't justify paying over $100 for another wrap. Did you get a pattern somewhere? How much material did you need? Sorry to hijack the thread

Thanks
    Reviews
    I made my own ring sling. Got the proper rings from Karri tree lane and then looked up the manufacturers page for links on sewing the sling properly and securely.
    Fabric I used 100% linen from spotlight. Think it cost me about $30/40 plus $10ish for the rings.

I love it. It did take me a few goes to get it right and feel confident using it. I re watched the tutorials from Sakura bloom alot to make sure I was doing it right. But we got there.

DD loves it. I can feed comfortably in it. I usually take her socks and any extra layers like cardigans off her so she doesn't overheat. Her body heat+mine+sling can get a bit much on hot days.

It's great for settling her through witching hour. I use it for the school run and also out and about when the pram is just too big for where I'm going (grocery shopping, coffee shops etc) or too much hassle to get out of the car. With practise I can now get her in the sling alot quicker than getting the pram together.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    My DD is 3 months too (I think ours were born very close together? )

She is a big girl though, and I found she thought herself too big for the hug-a-bub by around 2 months, which is a shame since I used to pop her in there and do the housework. So for the past month I have been carrier-less.

I bought a second-hand wompat off the BSS FB group the other day. It's supposed to be really good (everyone on the page were raving about them a few weeks ago) and a cheaper option for a structured carrier (I think it's mainly made of girasol?) I paid $150.

I'll let you know how we go with it when it arrives

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gumnutbaby View Post
    Hi December bubba I've been considering making my own non stretchy wrap as bub is too big for my hug a bub but I really can't justify paying over $100 for another wrap. Did you get a pattern somewhere? How much material did you need? Sorry to hijack the thread
    Yeah, I wanted to get a woven when DS2 outgrew the stretchy, but got so overwhelmed and confused with all the options!

I'm pretty sure the material I got is a cotton/linen blend. It was about $19 p/m, but I got it when they had a 40% off sale. I asked for 4.5m, but when I got it home she'd only given me 4m - which is just a tad short. I can do the front wrap cross carry and just tie the ends behind my back, but that extra .5m would have been great. I googled the width of a woven, which I think was generally around 29 inches from memory? I made mine a bit narrower - about 21 inches and got 2 wraps out of the 1 length of material. Just cut it down the middle and then got a hem sewn around all the edges. I didn't bother tapering the ends, but you could probably do that (like the hug a bub is). HTH

Eco Goddess is offline Loving life under the Bodhi tree!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a mei tai, a ring sling and an ergo and the ergo is by far the best! Not cheap but so comfortable

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's all about figuring out what works for you. I used a bjorn for a very short amount of time with my 1st and 2nd children, a stretchy and ergo with my 3rd and have now well and truly caught the carrier bug and have two wovens, a wrap conversion mei tai and an ergo with my 4th child. I joined a buy sell swap baby wearing page on Facebook a few months ago and have learned so much since I joined. You can go to meets where you can try out different carriers before you buy which is really helpful . Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used a moby wrap which is a cheaper version of a hug-a-bub. It made life so much easier.
    I have back problems and found that it fit against my back curves well and I never got a sore back/shoulders from wearing it. I used to wear it on 10KM+ walks and also just out and about shopping or at home.
    Like a PP said, they are tricky to get on at first, but you learn really quickly. And it's not that hard to pop it on before you hop in the car if you are putting bub in it when you get to where you are going.
    I wore DS in it until well after he was 1 and never had an issue with him size-wise (and he was a bigger bub as he grew!). It just made it easier when I was out and didnt want to argue with him about being in his pram!

I was given a ring sling and it wasnt used for more than 5 minutes because it hurt my neck and shoulders too much!