+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Freezing day 3

Hello all,

I just have a question about the freezing process and reasons behind it.

I recently had EPU on Tuesday. From the haul, we have 6 fertilised eggs. Due to OHSS, we are not doing a fresh transfer.

I was was just told today that he will freeze the embryos on day 3. Is that because they are poor quality? And once they are thawed, do they do a 3 day transfer or can they try to grow them out to blastocysts?

Any help would be fantastic

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ToniR1411, I think different FS's &clinics have different policies around what day to freeze. Mine do day 5 freezing as standard, and I've only ever had day 5 ones frozen and transferred. There can be quite a drop off between day 3 and day 5, so I guess some FS/clinics prefer to freeze on day 3 just to make sure that something is there in the freezer. From what I understand it can be hard to pick which ones will go on to day 5 and which won't, and that if they freeze an embie, it will look like a good one. The results you get can also vary between cycles. I think some clinics/FS will do day 3 transfer, while others do day 5. I think they will try and grow them out to day 5 if that's what you want, but just be prepared for the drop off in numbers.

Hope that helps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpringRain For This Useful Post:

ToniR1411  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With my 3rd round of IVF we had to do a freeze all cycle as I had OHSS. The eggs were fertilised and then frozen on day one. When it came time to thaw then they grew them to day 5 followed by transfer.

It seems all clinics have different rules and criteria.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sandramm1 For This Useful Post:

ToniR1411  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If they are being frozen on Day 3 then they are of great quality as there are day 3 embies that don't make it to the freezer - there are still criteria they have to reach to be frozen at Day 3. Sometimes embryos just don't like the culture they are in whilst in the lab so they don't make it to day 5 but that's not to say if they had of been transferred on day 3 they wouldn't have been babies - sometimes in their own environment is best. If you read through lots of posts on this forum there are LOTS of healthy bubs born from Day 3 transfers.

But as the other girls have said each clinic, FS and IVFer is different. All i knew about originally was blastocysts and thought that all embies should be grown to day 5 because of the drop off between day 3 and 5 but since experiencing 4 cycles, changing FS and reading people posts etc I have totally changed my mind.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jb2011 For This Useful Post:

ToniR1411  (08-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for replying.

like you JB, all I head was 5 day blasts and I was getting quite down.

Had a chat to the embryologist and he said they will try and grow them out till day 5 after being thawed.

Thanks again for everyone's input - you all make this a lot easier x

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it helps my clinic only does day 3 freezing and transfers and we were lucky with a day 3 too!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wishnhope For This Useful Post:

ToniR1411  (08-11-2013)